I think the optimal is what works best for you. It also depends on how much of each you mean. If you mean one hour active, followed by the half hour of the two meditations, as they are on the CD for Level I, then I would say, no, that is very good, but not "optimal" or "best".
In general, it is probably better to do more Active and more Small Universe.
But if you mean is it better to do Active before meditation, yes, in general, that is best, I think.
And as far as the end, you are correct, in that you need only one ending. But then the question becomes, which ending? I do one of the short ones, if I have run out of time. But if I have the time, I do the entire LONG "Harvesting of Qi" ending from the Active Exercise at the end of the entire practice session (i.e. after I have completed both the Active exercise AND the Small Universe or other meditation). I think that is "best"
But you do not need to do a "Harvesting" or ending after each "movement' of an SFQ session. One only at the very end.