Posted By: SunnKali Happy for No Reason Book - 01/22/08 08:25 PM
I just began exploring this book but I'm really impressed with it so far. It's really packed with great material and has a lot of depth, doesn't seem too airy and sunshiny like the title might suggest. It really seems to compliment the products I've been loving and using from Learning Strategies for many years. I just placed an order with Amazon.com to send a copy to each of my daughters and my sister.

I'd love to hear from others who are reading this.
Posted By: Jeanne Re: Happy for No Reason Book - 01/23/08 12:46 AM
I just started it, and I'm loving it so far. I truly appreciate all the research she did to put this together. I read books kind of differently than a lot of people. I also skip to the back and see what's in the appendix, and in other books, I'll check out the index--this one, alas, has no index--and you can tell a lot about the book before reading it. This just looks like a very well-crafted book.

(But I do wish there had been an index.)

The whole concept of the happiness set-point makes so much sense to me. Mine is kind of high, Dear Hubby's is rather low, and this book helps explain how all of this happens.

I am also reading "The Genie in Your Genes", and find the two support each other nicely.

Thanks to LSC for setting up this forum--as I read more, I know I'll want to read what others say.
Posted By: beachgirl Re: Happy for No Reason Book - 02/24/08 07:29 PM
Hi - I am only on page 67 but am finding the book to have substance and immediate practical application. I enjoyed the example of Marci's relationship barometer being at 6 (out of 1-10) and she and her sweetheart explored why it was so fortunate to be at a 6, not a 1 - simple but great approach. I am very excited that Marci and Carol made it such a priority to step out with this topic for all of us. Thank you to Marci and Carol! On to page 68....
Posted By: takinitslo Re: Happy for No Reason Book - 03/02/08 03:43 PM
This is one of the most profoundly effective 'action plans' to happiness that I have read. I'm reluctant and my usual negative self still -- but working on it and see there is truly a WAY to work on it. As I was listening to the action plan I realized that I was one of those kids raised in an environment where it was a negative thing to be happy -- "what are you smiling about?" was a common thing to hear. Like it was a 'bad' thing to be happy.

So I have a lot of work to do. I'm willing to do it though because of the great effect it has on me and my disposition. I fall back into the old behavior but it pops into my mind that I HAVE A CHOICE. I've never been effected by anything so much. And, I've read everything that has come out and gone through therapy for decades! This feels like it might have some good return on the investment.

Thanks and I look forward to talking and interacting with lots of you.

m
Posted By: palladio Re: Happy for No Reason Book - 04/20/08 08:26 AM
I am amazed at how easy it is to find five things to be happy about every morning. Thank you Marcia.
© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement