Posted By: astrowill why work so much? - 04/04/03 07:09 PM
Why do people work 5 days a week and only have 2 days to play? Why do people tolerate that? What's the point of working day after day with so little leisure time? I'm basically asking what the meaning of life is. Any thoughts?

Posted By: Arthur Re: why work so much? - 04/04/03 09:51 PM
You should go to L'Abri, where real honest questions are given real honest answers. Check www.labri.com it is very cheap $20 a day.

Also, read "the God who is there" and "He is there and not silent" by Francis Schaeffer.

Posted By: astrowill Re: why work so much? - 04/05/03 02:27 AM
Thanks Arthur. Actually I was looking for answers along the lines of "I collect stamps on weekends--it keeps me motivated during the week." Or maybe "I found a job I love. Every day is play for me."

Posted By: oskee Re: why work so much? - 04/05/03 07:11 AM
wow, someone on this board is into Schaeffer! I've only read a little of "How Should We Then Live" and watched the video series.. very good stuff... that man had a head on him.

Posted By: youngprer Re: why work so much? - 04/05/03 03:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by astrowill:
Thanks Arthur. Actually I was looking for answers along the lines of "I collect stamps on weekends--it keeps me motivated during the week." Or maybe "I found a job I love. Every day is play for me."

What makes you think people tolerate it? I go to school 5 days a week for 7-8 hours a day, but not by choice. I do it because if I don't go, my parents get sent away for 'neglegance,' or I get put into juvenile jail.

If I didn't have to go to school, I'd imagine I'd be a writer almost right around now. The meaning of life...there's a million different answers out there. I have been having arguments with myself over what it could be. Up until now, it's all been disappointing in what I've found, though. You should do some research on existentialism.

-youngprer

Posted By: Arthur Re: why work so much? - 04/05/03 04:08 PM
Existentialism cannot, does not, and will not stand. On the basis of existentialism how do you know who you--as a person--are? What does existentialism have to say about people and their aspirations to meaning?

How can you base your whole life on one experience you had in the past which you cannot even communicate to others?

Posted By: Arthur Re: why work so much? - 04/05/03 04:11 PM
astrowill, the reason people work 5 days a week and only have 2 days to play is that they need to provide food and housing for their family. Many people would not work this much if they had enough money, but yes, some people just like their job.

I doubt Bill Gates works 5 days a week.

Posted By: astrowill Re: why work so much? - 04/07/03 05:09 AM
Arthur I think Bill Gates plays 5 days a week because he loves his job. There is only a very small number of people like that, which disappoints me.

[This message has been edited by astrowill (edited April 06, 2003).]

Posted By: quest4truth Re: why work so much? - 04/06/03 11:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Arthur:
astrowill, the reason people work 5 days a week and only have 2 days to play is that they need to provide food and housing for their family. Many people would not work this much if they had enough money, but yes, some people just like their job.

I doubt Bill Gates works 5 days a week.

Bill Gates problay works 7 days a week. When you do what you love, it's not work.

Are you a sales rep for L'Abri?

Posted By: Arthur Re: why work so much? - 04/07/03 06:50 PM
No, I am not. Rather I am sincerily (sp.) interested in helping you. I challenge you to read those books I suggested

Posted By: astrowill Re: why work so much? - 04/08/03 02:53 AM
Yes Arthur thanks for sharing that with us all. It's nice that people share their secrets to success and happiness on this forum.

Posted By: youngprer Re: why work so much? - 04/08/03 03:23 AM
Existenstialism has many many different perspectives within it, but I think it mostly is a way of creating the concept that your life is yours to create.

Posted By: Hobo Re: why work so much? - 04/15/03 09:09 PM
I wonder how many hours a week that Paul Scheele works. I'm sure he doesn't see his job as the daily grind!

© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement