Posted By: TomTOM PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/14/06 01:38 PM
Hello board,
I've been studying PR for one week, carefully reading book and listening to audio book. I tried 6 or 7 times, without any success at all. My latest attempt is a book about Apple's CEO Steve Jobs's biography, which I am really interested in. I believe in Photoreading, I like the book really much, I have clear purpose, but still no success .... PLEASE HELP ME!!!

My Steps:

1. Preview
Read through the chapters rapidly within 2 minutes.

2. Relax through the guidance of audio book
State my purpose: I am really curious and want to know about Steve Job's early childhood and his success, as my reference.
3. Photoread several chapters
4. WAIT ONE HOUR
5. mind probing, trigger words, mind map,i've tried every technique, but it just feels that I never read the book.

The results are similiar with my previous attempts with an Economics Book, a dictionary, a fiction, and etc.

Posted By: TomTOM Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/14/06 01:53 PM
moderator Alex, Please DON'T just say that my purpose is incorrect, i've seen so much of your reply is just about wrong purpose, no one doubts that. but I wonder is that just purpose thing? or it really depends on different people's born ability?
When I started I also thought it didn't work at all.
I was very desperate for it to work.Later on I gave up,but I'm back to it again.
I am more relax and open to it ^_^ It does work

I don't really know how to answer your question,so....just wait for Alex ^o^
While waiting for Alex, I have a few questions for you?

Are you breathing and stating the purpose
as you PR the pages. The Reticular Activating System
will be alerted to what the conscious mind must focus
on later in ACTIVATION, while you are breathing
and saying the purpose statement to yourself.

Are you drinking water? This is important, according
to Paul Scheele and Win Wenger, in terms of
keeping the brain at optimum efficiency while
in ALS.

Alex may ask you what do you feel is missing from
your comprehension of the book so far.
Remember you may not achieve 100%
comprehension, but you will achieve close to
it, in much less time, than you would with
conventional reading. In other words, you may be
being too hard on yourself.

Those are my thoughts, but I am also a
relative newbie myself (less than 2 years).

Hope that helps

Raleigh
Posted By: TomTOM Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/15/06 03:23 AM
Quote:

While waiting for Alex, I have a few questions for you?

Are you breathing and stating the purpose
as you PR the pages. The Reticular Activating System
will be alerted to what the conscious mind must focus
on later in ACTIVATION, while you are breathing
and saying the purpose statement to yourself.

YES, I am exactly following what the audio tape said.

Quote:

Are you drinking water? This is important, according
to Paul Scheele and Win Wenger, in terms of
keeping the brain at optimum efficiency while
in ALS.

Yes, I am drinking tons of water before reading.

Quote:

Alex may ask you what do you feel is missing from
your comprehension of the book so far.
Remember you may not achieve 100%
comprehension, but you will achieve close to
it, in much less time, than you would with
conventional reading. In other words, you may be
being too hard on yourself.

Well, frankly, the feeling is not that comprehending not enough. It just feels that I never ever read the book, everything completely new to me.

thanks raleigh, any other suggestions?
Tom,

Can you go into deeper detail about the steps you're taking? It would help us a lot more if we had some extra detail.

You've said you're PhotoReading several books. What steps are you taking for the PhotoReading step?

What are you doing for the Preview step?

What, exactly, are your steps during Activation? How long are you spending on your activation passes? Are you doing a post-view of the material after the PhotoReading step?

Please try and give as much information as possible.

-youngprer
DirtyMechanism.com
Posted By: TomTOM Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/15/06 08:04 AM
hello youngprer,
I'll try to describe as detail as possible.

First, I preview the book, and writing down some trigger words for the Steve Job's book, such as:

Steve Woz, Paul Jobs, orphan, Cupertino, Mountainview, Hewlett Packard, introvert and shy, one sister, highly gifted, enthusiasm in electronics, and etc...

Then, I listen to the tape 4a following it's steps of relaxation, in a very quiet room. Following Paul's voice, I can feel myself quite relaxed and able to concentrate(with only few times a little bit distracted). I stated purpose to my inner mind: I really want to know about Steve Job's life and his success, so that I can apply them to my own entrepreneurship.Then the tangerine technique.

Next, Open my eyes, and Use the X focus. Because I've previously practiced very hard to see the blip page but failed, so I can only use X focus. After openning the book, I start chanting 4 ,3,2,1, relax, turn a page, 4,3,2,1,relax, turn a page ....after about 100 pages. I stopped, closed the book and my eyes.

Then, I acknowledge to myself, the content I just read already inputted into my subconcious mind. and I imagine the feeling of acquiring new knowledge. 1,2,3,4,5 Open my eyes.

(After resting for an hour)

Finally, I read through the chapters, scanning through pages, looking at subtitles and trying to find anything that interests me, it takes about 20 minutes. after some rest,I do this again.

But unfortunately, during the whole process, I have no any feeling of familarity. and, during the whole week of photoreading, I never dreamed of anything related to the book I read(including economics textbook, two steve jobs book, japanese history, a dictionary).

THANK You!

TOM
How did you go with the PhotoReading book and the Natural Brilliance book? There are some self tests in the course along the way. What happened there?

What was your experience with the article?

Feeling of familiarity won't show up before a postview or first activation. Move on through the course.

Why are you using session 4c if you completed the course?

Why are you stopping in PhotoReading part way through the book (100 pages?????)

PhotoRead the whole book not a few chapters and then stopping? It takes 5 minutes to PhotoRead a 350 page book.

The PhotoReading book. First time you PhotoRead it is from front cover to back cover.

How long and how many activation passes did you make? Which technique of activation did you employ.

What does "entrepreneurship" mean? (I know I can look it up on dictionary.com but that's not my point.)

Alex
Posted By: TomTOM Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/15/06 12:23 PM
Quote:

How did you go with the PhotoReading book and the Natural Brilliance book? There are some self tests in the course along the way. What happened there?

Concerning the dictionary game, I have no feeling at all, about either position, words or familarity.

Quote:

Feeling of familiarity won't show up before a postview or first activation. Move on through the course.

Even after the second activation, there is still no familarity for me!

Quote:

Why are you using session 4c if you completed the course?

because 4a has a long relaxation part, I think it would be more effective for me.

Quote:

Why are you stopping in PhotoReading part way through the book (100 pages?????)

because the book is only 110 pages, with the rest being appendix and copyright info.

Quote:

How long and how many activation passes did you make? Which technique of activation did you employ.

Super reading & Dip, Then mind map. for 2 times.

Quote:

What does "entrepreneurship" mean? (I know I can look it up on dictionary.com but that's not my point.)

It means starting one's own company,so my purpose is to apply what I read into managing my own business.

TOM
You sidestepped my question. I don't care about the dictionary GAME it's a GAME.

I wanted to know your experience with the PhotoReading book, Natural Brilliance and Now I want to know what happened when you did the Star of Wonder?

How long were your activations?

Do the 5 day test on page 76 of the PhotoReading book. Like most beginners you're quitting too soon. Look for answers to your mind probing questions and plant whatever you find onto a mind map.

Long relaxation? Unnecessary, you're just planting your own seeds of doubt. It doesn't need that long. It's there for the initial experience that's all.

PhotoRead the whole book. The stuff they put in the back of the book is the reason for the book. It's the background information why the author wrote the book. Sometimes to know what the author wants to teach that's the only part of the book you really need to read.

To help you with your activation. Consider this question.

It means starting one's own company,so my purpose is to apply what I read into managing my own business.

How do you think that particular book can help you toward that goal. What information would you need to pull from that book to know that the author has passed on some.

Your goal is to build conscious comprehension like you get with a book with traditional reading. So don't short change yourself on activation passes. Especially when you're only looking at the book " looking at subtitles and trying to find anything that interests me".

That means your purpose is not working for you. It means you haven't formed any mind probing questions from the trigger words. When you look at those words what is it you want to know?

As I've already said. Look at page 76 of the PhotoReading book. One pattern for activation is in that exercise.

Alex
Posted By: TomTOM Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/16/06 01:57 AM
Thanks Alex for taking the time. I'll try your suggestions and get back the results.
Posted By: TomTOM Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/17/06 09:45 AM
well, today is my 3rd day of the 5 day test, very unfortunately, up to now, i have no feeling of the book at all except for what I read consciously(preview & postview)....

any further suggestions?
What was your experience with the PhotoReading book, Natural Brilliance book and the Star of Wonder exercise?

Make sure you are asking mind probing questions and have a purpose. If you don't have a purpose you're not going to get much.

Alex
Posted By: TomTOM Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/17/06 02:31 PM
Well, my star of wonder exercise is quite normal. I can't draw well if I look at the mirror, but can draw better if don't focus too much on the mirror.
I am not sure what do you refer to concerning the natural brilliance & photoreading book. if you are asking about th photoreadng result, then they are just the same as all other book I read: no feeling at all, except for concious preview & postview.

BTW. I read from back to front cover, and up side down, to minimize concious distorts.
Posted By: TomTOM Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/17/06 02:33 PM
One more thing, I DO have very clear purpose each time I photoread and preview.
Why must it be a feeling? What should the feeling be? how will you recognise it and how do you know you haven't blocked it because you're expecting it to be something other than what it is?

I thought you wanted answers to your questions? Answers don't always come with feelings. For most people they just know that's the answer.

A clear purpose and a working purpose are two different things. The example you gave doesn't work for me. My purpose would have been to find out what "skills and lessons" Steve developed and learned in early childhood so that I can find if any of them would work for me in my business.

How about posting some of your mind probing questions for the book you're working on?

Alex
Hi TomTOM,

If I can pitch in with a helpful suggestion, I can relate to some of the frustrations you are feeling with learning PR. It literally took me 4 years (and attending 3 live PR'ing classes) before I finally "got" it. So, don't be frustrated after only a week or so of trying. Just go through the motions, even if you don't think you're getting it, but always telling yourself, I'm getting it, I'm getting it. For some of us, it takes awhile before things really sink in. I always admired those in the classes who seemed to get it immediately, while I was struggling and struggling. And then I realized I should stop struggling and just let go, don't expect anything, just do what seemed most natural, keeping in mind all the things I had learned from the classes and courses. And gradually over time, my reading speed really picked up, such that I'm absorbing much, much more information than I had ever thought possible. Part of it is to let go of your expectations - "release" them, if you will. And then things naturally start to work. I guess there's a bigger lesson in that for the rest of life, too.

Anyway, best to you, and happy reading,

HF
Posted By: TomTOM Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/17/06 03:53 PM
Well, alex, to tell you the truth, i found you are sometimes a little bit too "arguing", every problem i proposed you will then try to question it. I don't know why, this maybe your style, but i hope you are not trying to disguise something.
If anytime you think my point is incorrect, please just point out the one you consider correct, not just questioning please.

Quote:

I thought you wanted answers to your questions? Answers don't always come with feelings. For most people they just know that's the answer.

The truth is just I don't know the answer, nor do I have any feeling of familarity.

some of my mind probing questions for the steve jobs book:
1) What are the similarities between steve jobs and other succesful people in their character?
2) how does steve jobs grow to be a better leader?
3) what are the major problems during his early childhood?
4) how's his family environment?
5) what are the strength and weakness of steve jobs, and how does them affected his leadership style?
6) what are the things that I can learn from steve job's success & failure in apple?
Posted By: TomTOM Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/17/06 04:03 PM
Thank you very much for your sharing hartreefoch, very helpful to me. I guess i am just expecting too much. but I wonder what have you done during the such long 4 years of time of studying PR? and is there anything that might really move you forward to the success? the last question is, what's ur current way of PR? how effect it is? any quantative data?

THANKS!
Posted By: KWLee Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/17/06 05:16 PM
Hi

Quote:

Well, alex, to tell you the truth, i found you are sometimes a little bit too "arguing", every problem i proposed you will then try to question it. I don't know why, this maybe your style, but i hope you are not trying to disguise something.
If anytime you think my point is incorrect, please just point out the one you consider correct, not just questioning please.

You miss the point. There is a point to everything Alex does. Getting you to describe what you have done is the fastest way to figure out what's wrong. I used to think the approach was a little harsh myself, but having seen a good number of PhotoReaders become successful with Alex's help (my self included), I assure you the approach is sound. It really helps too if you answer Alex's questions in detail. You may not agree with her try it her way anyway.

Kaye Lee
Quote:

Thank you very much for your sharing hartreefoch, very helpful to me. I guess i am just expecting too much. but I wonder what have you done during the such long 4 years of time of studying PR? and is there anything that might really move you forward to the success? the last question is, what's ur current way of PR? how effect it is? any quantative data?

Hi Tom,

Thanks for asking. I'm happy to share more. (I wish this forum had
existed when I was still learning PR. Actually, I was one of LSC's first
generation of customers, waaay back when, before the whole Internet
craze.)

Before PR, I was a very poor reader. I hated to read, not because I hated
learning, but because reading was SO slow and difficult for me. I dreaded even
opening up a book, because of all the negative, psychological resistance I
had built up against reading. But at the same time, I was naturally a
very curious person, and I knew I had to overcome my reading blockages to
achieve my goals in life. That was what attracted me to PR'ing.

Now, my expectations for PR were initially too high. Part of the blame
was the nature and wording of the advertisements for PR. I hope they've
toned those claims down by now, but at the time, the ads were making the
system sound "too good to be true." Unfortunately, that ultimately hurt
me more than helped, because I was expecting to achieve astounding reading
speeds in a matter of days. (There use to be some debate at this forum
regarding such claims, and the general justification by LSC is that they
are talking about "PHOTOREADING" speeds, not "READING" speeds. That is,
they're drawing a distinction between the rate at which the
"other-than-conscious-mind" can absorb information as opposed to the
"conscious-mind." It is a very fine detail to draw such distinction, but
that's ok ... every product needs a "gimmick" to draw attention.)

So, during the 4 years I was struggling with the method, I oscillated back
and forth between being a mediocre reader (my old habits) and a
photo-reader. I could not objectively say PR was really helping, but a
lot of the things I had learned in the class made sense, stuck with me,
and I just wanted it to work. That's why I kept re-attending the
live-classes. I felt I was missing something, and so I felt that if I
attended the classes with a different teacher, I would gain something I
had missed with the last instructor. In the end, I realized that I was my
best instructor all along, and the reason why I never really "got" PR was
because I was trying too rigidly to follow the "Photo-reading recipe"
layed out for me. The "recipe" is ok for the beginner ... but it is like
training wheels when you are learning to ride a bicycle. Once you learn
how to ride a bicycle, it's time to get rid of the training wheels! So to
make PR really work for me, I had to personalize PR, and that meant doing
some things my own way, different from the "recipe."

Perhaps the greatest two lessons I've gained from PR'ing are: 1) Your
other-than-conscious mind is involved in reading and it "speaks" to you
via intuitions, feelings, hunches ... ways which are
"other-than-conscious", and 2) Let go of perfectionist attitudes about
reading ... it's ok to get 50%-75% (or even less) of the material
"consciously" ... allow your other-than-conscious to fill in the blanks.
Usually, what you really need is only 10% of the material anyway, and the
rest is just interesting filler.

With these two attitude adjustments, reading became a joy, not a burden.
I could tear through huge volumes of material very quickly and isolate
exactly what I needed. I've had experiences that seemed almost "magical"
to me, where I was able to pinpoint exactly what I needed at the right
time, what some might describe as "synchronicitous" experiences. And such
experiences could not have happened before, because before, I would've
been too scared to open the volume in the first place. So, overall, I'm a
big fan of PR'ing, because it opened up a whole new dimension in reading.

How do I photo-read today? Very naturally. I don't even think about it
anymore. When I pick up reading material, I simply let my eyes glance
through the pages, half conscious, half not-so-conscious. I think some
call this "skittering." But to me, I've combined the "photo-vision" and
"skittering" phases into one. Personally, I don't bother with the
"relaxed vision and flipping-through-the-pages" routine. That just doesn't
work for me, but that could be just me. I simply acknowledge that my
other-than-conscious is taking in the information that it needs, even
while my conscious mind is skittering through the material. And at the
end of one pass, I allow my intuition to tell me whether or I need to go
back. Or, it may guide me to one part of the material, a part that I
need. And I may read that part very slowly, word-for-word, if necessary,
to really activate that part of the material consciously. Yes, sometimes
I feel the need to read something very, very, very slowly, but it is only
after I've gotten the big, overall picture, and have properly prepared my
mind to recognize that this is some information I really need to digest
slowly. The rest, I simply release as unimportant to me at the time.

So, that's my process today, and I do it very naturally, very smoothly.
(I read a LOT of material every day ... and I also write a lot, too.) Now,
I'm not saying it should be the way PR'ing should be done by everyone, and
perhaps it is not the way PR'ing is intended to be at all. But it is more than
sufficient for me, and it has really helped me become a better reader than
I ever thought possible.

Well, ha ha ... you probably had to photo-read all of the above to get
through it all ... but I hope there was something helpful to you in it
all. Perhaps the most helpful suggestion being just to relax with the
whole process, enjoy it, take what you find most helpful at the time, and
allow yourself to personalize and integrate the whole system to suit you.
You've already taken the first step of DESIRING to be a better reader, and
in time, you will be. It is only natural. It cannot NOT happen. In some
sense, learning to read well is a journey, not a destination, and we are
always improving throughout our lives. Let us know how it goes, and I'd
be happy to answer any other questions you may have (but I'll leave the
tough ones for Alex

Best,

HF

PS - Reading really is just like any other skill ... the more you do it,
the better you become at doing it. One benefit of PR'ing is that it helps to motivate you
to WANT to do it, and this in itself is perhaps more important than any claims
for reading speed, etc.
Posted By: TomTOM Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/18/06 06:59 AM
hi hartreefoch,
i am really glad to see your full experience, very interesting. however, i am not sure about your "hartree style reading" how effective it is? is it as fast as photoreading overall?? what would be the average words per minute?

and by the way, one more thing that I found might be probem, is that when I photoread , i use the X focus, but whenever i turn a page, my x focus is "lost", it will become hard focus, then i have to X focus again, could that be a problem for my photoreading??
THANKS!

TOM
Posted By: TomV Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/18/06 03:14 PM
Hi Tom,

Losing your photofocus is definitely one of the reasons why you haven't been succesful in your PhotoReading sessions. I think it's useful to practice the diversion of your eyes a couple of times. I know it's hard in the beginning, I had trouble with it myself. I would flip a couple of pages and my eyes were back to the normal, hard focussed state. The main thing is not to be hard on yourself, just allow it to happen and try again, until you can photoread an entire book without losing the diversion of your eyes.

It's important to be in a relaxed state when you PhotoRead, so pushing yourself into it and getting frustrated won't be of any help. As a matter of fact, getting frustrated isn't good for anything (but I won't go into that diversion right now ). PhotoReading should be a FUN experience for you, not drudgery. Paul emphasises this a lot in his book, and he does that for a purpose. When you are not enjoying something you're reading, you won't remember it. You've probably had many occurrences of those situations, just like me.

The trick is to have fun with the PhotoReading process, to "play with it" as Paul states in the book. A playful attitude vs an expectant attitude will make the difference. Make sure PhotoReading becomes a pleasure in your life, not a drudgery.

Greetings,

Tom.
Quote:

hi hartreefoch,
i am really glad to see your full experience, very interesting. however, i am not sure about your "hartree style reading" how effective it is? is it as fast as photoreading overall?? what would be the average words per minute?

and by the way, one more thing that I found might be probem, is that when I photoread , i use the X focus, but whenever i turn a page, my x focus is "lost", it will become hard focus, then i have to X focus again, could that be a problem for my photoreading??
THANKS!

TOM

Hi TomTOM,

I agree with TomV that photoreading is all about having FUN in reading.
It's about breaking down resistances people have built up against reading,
and getting them to play with words.

Where I would respectfully disagree with TomV is that I believe you do NOT
have to do certain things certain ways to achieve success in reading or
PR'ing. I have to be careful in saying such things here, because I have
learned in the past that some people tend to emphasize a certain
"doctrine" about things, and those who would try to do something
differently are sometimes chastised as "outcasts." But I think that's
part of human nature. All I can say is what I found to work for me, and
if that helps you, I'm happy.

So, that having been said, the whole "relaxed vision" thing just doesn't
do anything for me. In fact, for a long time, it was a HUGE distraction,
which was keeping me from growing. On a mechanical level, I have no
problem maintaining the "photo-vision", as I had naturally developed that
ability ever since I was very young. (It was always fun for me to see the
"third finger" floating between the two index fingers!) So, I can do the
photo-vision part of the process very easily and naturally, but to me,
this is not the heart of PR'ing at all. Indeed, in the live-classes,
several students could not maintain the photo-vision, and the teachers
always told them not to worry about it ... just look at the page without
consciously trying to read anything on it ... that is good enough.

The exercise of "photo-vision" is just a game to help yourself not use
your conscious mind to try to read the words on the page. If you are able
to do that without the relaxed vision, then you are getting the same
benefit. Don't get hung up on the mechanics. If the photo-vision helps
you, use it. If it doesn't, skip it. As you flip through the pages, just
keep affirming to yourself that you are getting the information you need,
and leave it at that. The more you do it, the more natural it will seem,
and the easier the process will become.

Now, regarding your questions about my reading speed, it depends on the
context. For example, I can pick up a decently sized novel and get the
essence of it 30 minutes or less, whereas before, it would've taken me a
month to go through it, if I bothered to open it up at all! And every
day, I scour through dozens of technical and popular articles and forum
postings very rapidly, always getting the essence of what I need. Now,
there are times I will find something very, very interesting, and I will
go back and read that article or section very, very slowly to get all of
it in its full flavor. For very technical material, I do the same thing.
A lot of my reading involves very sophisticated reasoning and mathematics,
but I use the same procedure: get the overall idea, then go back and
carefully study it. So, fast = overall picture, slow = detailed analysis.

This is the other lesson of PR'ing: "Layer" your reading with several
passes, where each subsequent layer becomes finer and finer. Allow your
intuition to tell you how much detail you need on each pass.

Remember, too, that I'm coming from a standpoint of having been
photo-reading for over a decade, so I'm describing things which are very
natural to me, like riding a bike or swimming. Once you master the skill,
you don't think about the mechanics anymore. I understand that you're
just starting, and you may feel very clumsy and impatient to improve your
reading ability. I encourage you to take it a day at a time. Don't force
it. Sometimes, the harder you try, the worse the results. Just relax
into the whole process, allow your mind to become comfortable with the new
paradigm of reading, and "play" with reading, just as a child would play
with a toy. You will find that certain things will work for you, but
other things will not, even if it violates the official "doctrine" of
PR'ing. Fabulous ... stick to those things which work for you, and don't
worry about those which don't. Treat the instructions as merely
guidelines to help you begin your own jouney into reading. Trust that you
are your best teacher.

Best to you, and keep us apprised of your progress!

HF
Posted By: TomV Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/18/06 07:42 PM
Well I was just pointing out that being frustrated while reading certainly doesn't help your comprehension. And being relaxed does help process information better. A brain in Alpha frequency or lower learns more quickly and efficiently than in Beta. Don't fall into the trap of checking if you really are in Alpha or whatever; just do the count-down exercise that Paul provides in the book. It's good enough to relax. You will know when you are relaxed, because you will FEEL that way. So yes, relaxation is an important part of learning in general. A calm mind = a calm body = a calm soul, which means you absorb information more quickly and effortlessly. You are more focused and alert when in a relaxed state. I even do my work better that way.

But of course, the most important thing is this: do what feels best for you, as long as you are having fun with the process and don't stress anything. Then the results start coming in. People tend to over-analyze the steps and get upset and frustrated when it doesn't go right the very first time. Relax, you are shifting your reading paradigm. That doesn't happen overnight, you know. Allow yourself to enjoy the process. Everyone makes mistakes, just don't beat yourself up for it.

Greetings,

Tom.

P.S.
"Whether you think you can, or you can't, either way you are right" - Henry Ford.
Yes, TomV - thanks for your helpful clarifications.
Best,
HF
Posted By: NickAus Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/19/06 10:57 PM
This stuff works, Ill give you an example of my latest photo read

I photoread a book called "Mankind in amnesia" by Immanuel Velikovsky.
My purpose was to "Discover the specific purpose the author is trying get across in this book and learn more about myself"

So i photoread, waited 45 mins and came back. Probed for answers and voilah i rapid read for 2 pages, nothing interesting popped up, Then this came up

"As a psychoanalyst i returned many times to the problem of awakening the human conscious mind to the forgotten heritage of the ages. The traumatic experiences that humans keep buried in oblivion posess enormous power over the destiny of nations. If the human race is not made able to face its past, The traumatic experience that caused cultural amnesia will demand repetiion- and since the atomica age began, humans have lived under the sword of damocles."

And it pointed directly to my answer!
Hey NickAus, Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: NickAus Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/20/06 02:10 AM
I recommend that people practice to photoread for like 4-5 hours with just the manual and some books and dont photo read just run through the process so u remember the entire process.
Thjis helped me massively and i have spent atleast 3 times re-reading the entire manual, sometimes we miss out things on the first,second, time and it comes to us the third time.
youve probly taken these steps but i know that in the past i have been lazy when learning new things and re-reading can sometimes fix the problem, just ignore me if you have done that.
Posted By: Oxygen Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/20/06 10:47 AM
Hartree, excellent posts! Fantastic! You show your ability to tell things clearly and precisely in these posts.

Nick, the text you cited is very interesting. I have been thinking very much the same way lately (I mean the writer of the book). How come you decide to choose this text as an example?

[He].2s2.2p4
Thanks, Oxygen!

Well, hopefully TomTOM found the help and encouragement he needed.
I think once people relax and release their expectations, then it really starts to work.
Same could be said about anything else in life.

Best,

HF
WOW! YOu have come a long
long way, hartreefoch.
I remember when you were really struggling.
Your post regarding skitterring while
simultaneously PRing was very helpful!
I now do not get worried that I accidentally, start reading
(skitterring) when I am doing a third or fourth PR
layering, as that may actually be the conscious mind
telling me it is time to skitter. Of course, I would be concerned
if I am skitterring on the first initial PR, as that would defeat the purpose of PR.

Your positive attitude is an inspiration.
I hope you and TomTom have continued success!

raleigh
Thanks, raleigh!

Well, let's hope TomTOM will be able to tell a similar story in the near future

Best to you, too.

HF
Posted By: TomTOM Hello All - 11/24/06 06:01 PM
Hey everybody, thank you for all the kind words and valuable suggestions!
i've finished the 5 day test, still no recall.
Now, I am trying to adjust my own expectation and reading the book again to follow the whole process.
As I mentioned, I can't see the blip page and have some problems with attention focus.so I tried to practice more on the photoreading step. i have a question: whenever I try to use diverged view , i see that the text on the book become larger and clearer. however there still isn't a blip page appeared, can anybody tell me am I on the right track to see the blip page(photofocus)? and what should I do to see it ? thank you!!!
Posted By: 3DLifestyle Re: Hello All - 11/24/06 06:30 PM
TomTOM

Seeing the blip page is not necessary to being able to photoread. One thing that I have constantly suggested to others with the same problem is to look an 1/2 inch to 1 inch above and beyond the top of the book at a specific spot or thing off into the distance. You will still have both pages of the book in your peripheral and the blip will be there. I prefer photoreading this way instead of looking into the center crease of the book. Also this way help when I'm turning pages and chanting and when I miss pages. When I was staring into the crease and I miss pages, that would throw my chant off, then I would stumble with the page turning. Why? because I was looking into the crease and then frustration and tension. By looking over the top of the book for me, this doesn't happen anymore. I'm more relaxed and I turn pages faster because I am not actual looking at the book and it doesn't bother me. Try it! I hope that you find success.
Posted By: TomTOM Re: Hello All - 11/24/06 06:35 PM
thank you guy, a very interesting approach. however, i really want to see the blip page( no matter it's important or not), consider it kind of challenge and intersting thing, so ... would anyone please provide any suggestion on that? thank you! btw. i have no problem with the cocktail winnie, and I can see the stereogram if i move my head really close to the picture and then move back.
Posted By: 3DLifestyle Re: Hello All - 11/24/06 06:47 PM
TomTOM

I've provided you with that. Even when looking over and beyond the top of the book, the blip will appear...... You will see it in your peripheral....... Remember to use a soft gaze and "VOILA". There it is.
Posted By: TomTOM Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 11/25/06 06:18 AM
well, sorry I didn't make my question clear about the blip page.
my current way is: looking at the center crease of the book, try to make my focus very far(like x-ray), and gradually I will see the page become closer, bigger and clearer.(floating to my eye. but i just can't see the blip page(a small rounded page in the center as decribed in the book). am I doing the thing correctly?

btw. I tried 3dlifestyle's method, but can't see the blip page either.
Tom Your belief that you must see the blip page is seriously hindering you activation. As a PhotoReading instructor I can assure you the Blip page is just nice but not necessary.

What is necessary is a relaxed approach.Something you are not doing. The blip page will disappear always every time for a beginner. Because you try to hard focus on the words. Turn the book over and just spend two to three minutes flipping the pages with the chant and just notice the pattern of white as it passes your eyes.

More important than the blip page is a steady rhythm and the chant.

Now .. the Five day test and the no Memory problem.

PhotoReading does not create a photographic memory. It allows you to PhotoRead the text and look for a deeper understanding of the information that you have PhotoRead. With activation you're looking for answers to your mind probing question. It is impossible to build a mind map if you're not understanding the information to some degree. So you're negating the results you've been getting (you said you mind mapped) Therefore you were building conscious comprehension.

Alex
Posted By: kunagi Re: PRing for one week, no success at all!!! - 12/01/06 07:17 AM
Actually I have something to talk with this topic...but my computer broke down when every time I enter photoreading forum……(I don’t know why......may be personal problem.)

About the blip page, I thought it is not important at all. I learned the Photoreading Wholemind System for about 3 months and this is my first time to concern about the “blip page” you mentioned. Yes, this is my first time to concern about the “blip page” after I saw your topic. But days before I have achieved 70% of comprehension for a psychology book which I never see it or read it before I photoread it. I even do not know anything about the psychology before I photoread that book. So even for me, I never care about the “blip page” but I can achieved 70% comprehension by photoread a book.

About the recall, I thought we better do not think anything about recall before we learn a book. Actually, I tested photoreading for many times in my learning and I realized that everything I decided to recall anything after my learning before I learn something, I cannot recall many things after I learned something. However, when I tried not to recall and just enjoy the learning, I can recall many things after I learned something. I thought this is because when I decided to recall, I try to memorize it and this really weaken my understanding as I put too much effort on my memorization. At last, I do not understand anything and do not memorize anything and do not recall anything.

About the comprehension, I agreed with Alex’s words. We really need comprehension to draw a mindmap. This is same with asking a question as we know much we can ask detailed question and harder question. So if you really know much you can draw a mindmap with detailed contents. And it is impossible for a person to draw a mindmap without any 'recall' and 'activation' .

Well this is the first time I saw Alex strengthened her status as a Photoreading Instuctor to teach others about Photoreading……:D
© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement