Posted By: matthat Getting in to state - 04/30/07 11:46 AM
Hi I was wondering how long it takes you guys to get in to the accelerated learning state - I still use the learning course disk 7 to guide my photoreading, the disadvantage of this is I need to prepare and cant really use it in the office because people wonder why I have my eyes closed and am wearing headphones.

Ideally I would like to be able to go instantly in to state and photoread anywhere and everywhere so I'm wondering how long this might take and any exercises that might help me to get to this quickly.
Posted By: matthat Re: Getting in to state - 05/08/07 12:38 PM
bump!

any thoughts \ comments?
Posted By: Carl Reimann Re: Getting in to state - 05/14/07 12:18 AM
I'm not an expert, although I have experience that teaches me that I truly have benefitted from photoreading. I take almost no time to get into state. I just let my eyes prove it to me. When the book is before me in soft focus, either with the blip page or with the four corners kind of 'evident' to me, then I'm ready. I might take a breath or two first. Also I try not to be irritated about something else.

You know what the hardest part of photoreading is? It's caring about the book enough to have an active purpose, an active question chain, to use in looking through it afterwards. I think that many people, when they read, just want the book to do the work. They want the author to get that information into their heads with no effort. The traditional reading technique is very passive towards the text: even when many notes are taken the comprehension in a global sense is quite passive. Wanting to think actively takes commitment. Perhaps the corollary to this is: wanting to have a reason to read, also takes commitment. Think about that: to read actively, you have to actively produce within yourself a reason to read. I think many readers leave even that to the author.
Posted By: matthat Re: Getting in to state - 05/14/07 12:58 PM
Thanks Carl, very interesting and I wonder, how many books did you PR before you could get in to state that quickly?
Posted By: Carl Reimann Re: Getting in to state - 05/14/07 05:59 PM
I don't remember exactly. I think it wasn't very many. I was probably ready with the first one. I just went with the blip page and accepted that that was it. I forget whether they emphasize this in the book or in Alex's posts, but basically, if you see the blip or see the book softly, and at any rate if you aren't preoccupied with the evils of your boss or how your company is being subject to a hostile takeover or something, then you're set to go!
Posted By: matthat Re: Getting in to state - 05/15/07 08:47 AM
hmmm interesting... I certainly note that I do change state as soon as I go in to photofocus, I'll try a quick 3-2-1 just to focus my attention and see how I get on. Cheers.
Posted By: Faithfabulous Re: Getting in to state - 05/15/07 10:56 AM
Very interesting advice Carl.

especially the point about the having an active purpose,
makes me wonder if I'm approaching it in the right context.

I mean, I adore books but I guess I come to them with the feeling that whoever has written this knows more than I know so has something to teach me.
And being so ingrained with stereotype of the teacher standing at head of class and "imparting" knowledge on the passively sitting student, I guess one goes into that mode even when reading - I'm interested in your material, now give me all the information/knowledge you have.

My question is, how do you get out of that frame?
Is it just your self talk?
how do I know for sure I'm doing one and not the other?
Posted By: matthat Re: Getting in to state - 05/15/07 12:48 PM
What if, instead of imagining yourself in a classroom, with all of the behavioural connotations that such a situation has, you imagine yourself in more comfortable surroundings, sat beside the author, who has made him \ herself available to help you with your studies, so you can just be comfortable with asking any questions that help you reach your purpose?

Does that time become more precious? Does your thirst for the knowledge increase? Does your purpose take better shape?
Posted By: Faithfabulous Re: Getting in to state - 05/15/07 12:52 PM
Yes, Yes sounds ideal.
Will try it and see...
Thnx
Posted By: shakurav Re: Getting in to state - 05/15/07 06:07 PM

Yes, I like this image as well. Thank you for offering it!

Quote:

What if, instead of imagining yourself in a classroom, with all of the behavioural connotations that such a situation has, you imagine yourself in more comfortable surroundings, sat beside the author, who has made him \ herself available to help you with your studies, so you can just be comfortable with asking any questions that help you reach your purpose?

Does that time become more precious? Does your thirst for the knowledge increase? Does your purpose take better shape?

Posted By: Carl Reimann Re: Getting in to state - 05/15/07 08:33 PM
An analogy occurs to me, possibly an erroneous one (not to mention that analogies are usually inadequate presentations of an idea). Consider a restaurant. When you enter to have a meal, do you order everything on the menu? All the appetizers, all the entrees, all the desserts, etc.? Indeed not: we have a purpose (to satisfy our hunger, to avoid things that may be unhealthy for us, to try something we don't ordinarily eat). We order according to our purpose. We can go back to the restaurant later to try something else, with a slightly different purpose. With a book, of course, you can just be hungry right away again, i.e. you can change your purpose and continue on. But we never assume that we enter the restaurant expecting to eat everything all at once. We have a purpose, and we assimilate accordingly.

Another nice thing about post-processing books we've PRed is that it is so much more relaxing than trying to use books in the normal method.
Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Getting in to state - 05/16/07 07:11 PM
The Accelerated Learning State is for giving yourself the positive affirmation and and purpose or intent of what you want to achieve in the next step. It leads you into the PhotoReading state which is not connected to the Accelerated Learning State Accelerated Learning State prepares you for learning Applies to anything not just PhotoReading and is an excellent lead in to a learning activity. after about two weeks of guiding yourself in on your own you'll be able to do it with a couple of deep breaths. I recommend you occasionally revisit the Accelerated Learning State full technique just to reinforce the purpose and intent for PhotoReading.

Alex
Posted By: matthat Re: Getting in to state - 05/17/07 10:34 AM
Thanks... that's really useful, I hadn't seen them (AL & PF) as different states.
Posted By: Walker22 Re: Getting in to state - 05/21/07 04:12 AM
Hi matthat,

If you have the home study course you could also review the section of Disc One where Paul talks about your breathing and visualizing an image or place that helps you get into the relaxed state quicker. Or you might try the chant from Disc One, the one that goes: "Re-lax, Re-lax, 4-3-2-1..." That helped me a lot initially.

For me now, I immediately relax as soon as I am able to get the blip page effect when I go into PhotoFocus mode. For me, getting the blip page is a fun exercise/technique and as soon as I get it I relax even more and forget anything that may have been troubling me prior to picking up the book.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Michael
Posted By: matthat Re: Getting in to state - 05/21/07 08:13 AM
I have no trouble getting in to photofocus state, that's instantaneous for me, it's getting in to accelerated learning state that takes me time - i'm sure I could do it quicker, now I'm not using disk 7 to run me through the process, the stabilisers are off and I'm going at my own pace to get in to that state, so with time it will speed up.
Posted By: yogia Re: Getting in to state - 05/21/07 06:54 PM
Hi matthat:

Just Beautiful ... what you have suggested will make one get into a state where there is a keen sense of purpose and deep respect for what the author has to share ... and that will mean one will be in a state of great receptivity.
Posted By: matthat Re: Getting in to state - 05/21/07 08:43 PM
Glad you find it useful.. enjoy!
Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Getting in to state - 05/26/07 12:07 PM
Quote:

Hi matthat,

If you have the home study course you could also review the section of Disc One where Paul talks about your breathing and visualizing an image or place that helps you get into the relaxed state quicker. Or you might try the chant from Disc One, the one that goes: "Re-lax, Re-lax, 4-3-2-1..." That helped me a lot initially.

For me now, I immediately relax as soon as I am able to get the blip page effect when I go into PhotoFocus mode. For me, getting the blip page is a fun exercise/technique and as soon as I get it I relax even more and forget anything that may have been troubling me prior to picking up the book.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Michael

Michael, I hope you understand the purpose of the Accelerated Learning State. It's not the same state as the PhotoReading state. There is a difference and there is a reason Paul takes you into the Accelerated Learning State before entering the PhotoReading state.

Alex
© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement