Hi,
I'm french and bought the book 1 year ago. I've tried to photoread several times but I'm still having many difficulties.
I have some questions, by searching in the book only the answers to the questions we've made we can miss important informations.
We also won't be able to catch all the context, feelings the author wanted to give. Of course it's not the most important ideas but I think it's important and can help understand the main ideas.
The author can also give advices, warnings, that we will miss because it doesn't answer our questions.
Some sentences or paragraphs can also make us : consider another point of view, medidate on a subject etc... Even if this sentence does not give an answer to our question, I think it can be worth reading it.

I also have difficulties using the method at work. I am engineer so I have technical documents to read (drawings, graphics, technical studies...)

ALthough i'm still wondering, if I wwant to focalise only on the paragraphs, sections that might give answers to my questions i could do it without photoreading by reading the table of contents.

Thanks for your help.
If you get the feeling you missed important information go with it and either ask more questions if no questions come up Rapid Read as a final activation step.

Originally Posted By: Ludo
Hi,
I'm french and bought the book 1 year ago. I've tried to photoread several times but I'm still having many difficulties.
I have some questions, by searching in the book only the answers to the questions we've made we can miss important informations.

If you get the feeling you missed important information go with it and either ask more questions if no questions come up Rapid Read as a final activation step.

Quote:
We also won't be able to catch all the context, feelings the author wanted to give. Of course it's not the most important ideas but I think it's important and can help understand the main ideas.

Not true. That happens when you quite too early.

Quote:
The author can also give advices, warnings, that we will miss because it doesn't answer our questions.

That's their purpose for writing. To connect with it learn the authors train of thoughts. See page 59 PhotoReading book 4th edition. For how to connect with the authors train of thoughts

Quote:
Some sentences or paragraphs can also make us : consider another point of view, medidate on a subject etc... Even if this sentence does not give an answer to our question, I think it can be worth reading it.

That's how you get more questions. Being an active reader. Making choices how much you need to read with your primary consciousness and how much you want to let your non-conscious mind process it.

Quote:
I also have difficulties using the method at work. I am engineer so I have technical documents to read (drawings, graphics, technical studies...)

How are you applying the system?

Alex
Hi, thanks for the answer. It's not easy to explain it clearly in english.

When I say we can miss important information : At the beginning I used to read too much during the phase of activation. Last time I think I've succeeded to read only when I think I'll find the answer to my question. At the end I had the feeling I had all the answers to my question. But after that I read a summary of this book from someone else with interesting things I missed. I missed these ideas because they weren't answering to my questions.
So this experience make me think that we can miss some important informations for us while only looking for the answers of our questions. Of course if our goal is to recover only informations that are direct linked to our objective it's enough. But I think it's a pity not to get the other informations that are important or the informations that can give us another point of view.
It's the same for the author train of thoughts. By searching answers I've missed interesting ideas. At the end I've catched good informations and I have a good global view of the ideas of the author. It's better than before when I was overwhelmed by the details without having a global view. But I've missed some good informations.
Another example, in this book there were a lot of examples. It's interesting because it complete the ideas of the author and it explain it more clearly. But I was looking for answers so I didn't read the examples. I would have spent much more time with less usefulness. It is good if I want to spend less time as possible but It's not good If I want to extract much as possible from the book I read.

With this book the activation step worked because I've found the answers I was looking for. But I've got the impression that the "photoreading" step was totally useless because I could have found the answer without it. When we've understood the whole structure of the book it's quite easy to go directly to the good parts and after to choose the good pages and good paragraphs of the book. And question after question we have a better view of how the book is written so it becomes more and more evident.
I've never yet lived spontaneous activation and I've never felt the photoreading step helped me. I sometimes do some self-hypnosis so I think it helps me for the "photoreading step" and I think I do it well. At the beginning I wasn't in the good state (I did it too quickly) but now I think I do it properly.
Do you have some tests to help me feeling the usefulness of this step?

When i'm at work sometimes I intend to use all the steps. It's more difficult to be in the good state but I think I achieve it. I search for the answers but I only understand what I read. Depending on my objective at the end I have to read nearly all the documents. I skip what is not interesting, but this is quite easy. We know the structure of the document, there is the table of content which is clear.
If i'm only looking for 1 information or 2 I would find it "easily".
If started a new job so I have to discover new types of documents. What takes me time is to understand the structure and the objective of the document. When I'm done I can go directly to the good paragraphs and the "photoreading step" isn't really helping me.

Last point I have to adress : We still have to read so speed reading will help. Of course there are good advices in the book that help (tangerine, concentration, soft eyes...) but learning speed-reading woul help us to read even more quickly : don't you think?

As you can see, I'm still confused with the method and have some doubts. When I photoread I forget all my doubts and I'm totally convinced that it works. But after when I think about it I'm still having doubts... I'm wondering if i should persist with photoreading or if I should take all the techniques that help me (good state, purpose, choosing what to read, preview, identifying key-words, making a global view before the details, search for the answers) and then learn to speed read to read the book after that.

Ludo.
Keep applying the 5 day test to many books.

Remember that reading is personal. Someone else may miss some interesting points that you see in a book when you activate.

Build in layers if you get the feeling there is more and you've finished activating, rapid read the book from beginning to end.

Ideal state is the tangerine techniqe.
Accelerated Learning state 3-2-1 Purpose, affirm.

If you think the PhotoReading step is redundant Leave it out for a book and see the difference.

Spontaneous activation is just spontaneous activation. If you try to do anything to make it happen it's manual activation a manual activation technique.

When it happens you might miss that it even happened. So do as much manual activation as you need to get the information you desire.

How do you know when you tied your shoe laces right or buttoned up your shirt the right way? You check when you're done. If it's good enough for you it's good.

Another thing about comparing what you got from a book and what someone else gets from a book.

I remember when someone told me about an episode in a series. The storyline and how fun it was. I happened to watch it later and thought, it was much more interesting when he told it than the actual episode showed on TV. He got stuff out of it that I never would have because my interest were different.

It's important to value your own perspective on life. That applies to what you get from reading as well. The more you value what you get from your reading the more value you get.

Alex
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the discussion forum, but I just wanted touch base about my experience with using the whole-mind system. I have the Deluxe version of the course and this has been an interesting journey so far, I did the entire program from start to finish and didn't seem to have much success the first time around. However, several months went by and I asked myself what exactly makes me so different for this system not to work for myself and yet works for so many countless others applying the PhotoReading. I scratched my head, and asked myself how can I change this distorted perspective for in order to help achieve my own personal needs? I did the program over again, and you know what oddly enough this time around it worked! Something finally clicked, I think it was because this was the first time I gave the process my full attention. What I mean by this is simply, let go of my thoughts or doubts about it all not working or trying too hard with good intentions.

I know this system works, millions of people have done this so why can't I... confused and that's when it happened I finally learned how to R-E-L-A-X! In fact, I might just have been too relaxed at times. However, my reason for a quick reply is just last week I had to go for an exam (I'm working on earning my doctorate in education psychology). It was a pretty difficult exam, and yet I felt so at ease with all the questions and conferable in my own skin. Since, I do most of my work on the computer is only seem natural to utilize the business and electronics sessions for when PhotoReading all the material and the memory supercharger paraliminal. Anyways, to cut a long story short, my grade was posted for today and you know that I was a nervous wreck. crazy But guess what, I received a 93% on the exam! Not bad for a PhotoReader late BLOOMER! Stick with the program, and don't worry about being right or trying too much to grasp everything at once. Once you've decided to give yourself to the whole-mind system process you will be well equipped to make success for yourself. grin

Leo
Congratulations Leo. Nice passing grade. That's all one really needs isn't it?

Alex
Hi,
I am also brand new to this forum. So new that I haven't even started the program, only heard about it. I am very impressed with Leo's accomplishment here so I would love to get started. I would like to know if it is really necessary to buy the CD program or can one learn this just from the book alone? Please, advise me!
Thanks!!!
How motivated are you to learn? You can learn with the book alone. You need to apply some time doing it. It doesn't just happen with reading. It requires experimenting with learning it.

The book tells you everything. That said the course leads you to applying the system. And provides the material you can apply it on to get you started. And it includes the Memory Supercharger Paraliminal. Good one to use for the week before you start learning the system.

Alex
What is the Memory Supercharger Paraliminal? It sounds very mysterious and I have seen NLP in action and it always looks incredible to me. But the difference in cost between the book and the full course is significant. Can you tell me in a nutshell what this does?
Anna
Memory Supercharger Paraliminal is sold separately. It helps you to remember the process of the PhotoReading system so you can apply it naturally. It's a good Paraliminal to use if you are studying and need to tap your mind to recall what you learned later for exams, for example.

You can buy the book and the Paraliminal and with a bit of self-motivation become a very proficient PhotoReader with that alone. The forum helps too.

Alex
I got the program two days ago and I think it is amazing! It seems like it is built on really solid science.
I am on CD3 and I can see the Blip Page! I am very excited. I can not hold on to it yet, but I am sure that with some practice I will be able to do that. I have so many books I want to read and now, like Leo before me, I might even pass the licensing exam I have been putting off for the last 11 years!
Well, I guess you can tell I am excited,
Anna
Hello Alex,
I have been photoreading now for about 3 weeks and something is just not clicking. As far as I know I am doing all the steps and even the photoreading step itself is going all right, but when it comes to activating, nothing about the text seems familiar at all. Shouldn't it? So, I end up just reading it, like I have never seen it before. That doesn't sound right. So, I am clearly not doing something right but I don't know what. Maybe it is just practice. i don't know. Any suggestions?
Anna
If you're stuck with activating there are usually 2 problems.

One a lack of a real purpose. If you haven't got a purpose you don't intend to activate.

Second problem is you're quitting too soon. Mind map, build in layers. Use the 5 day test from the book.

The sense of familiarity is different for everyone. I wouldn't struggle to get that. It's too weak in most people. School taught either / or, yes/no, Never taught anyone to tap into that sense that goes, hummm I think I know where this is heading.

Instead, keep activating for your purpose and notice what you notice. You'll learn what that sense of familiarity (hummm, I think I know where this is heading) seems like for you.

Alex
Thank you for this, Alex. I think you are absolutely right and I have to say, this is where I get into trouble because I have a very hard time formulating a purpose. I can only come up with vague ones, like I really want to understand what is in this book, which is really ridiculous. So, you are right!
I don't think I even got the previewing down, because it does not help me with coming up with a more specific purpose. Do you have any ideas for me?
Anna
Me too having difficulties in formulating a right purpose,a lot of us do.Perhaps Alex could help us with this problem,If we chose the book "Natural-Brilliance",can you tell us the appropriate purpose for photoreading this kind of books?
You have to formulate a purpose appropriate to your needs and situation. It has to be personal. If you look in some previous message threads, you can find examples of formulating specific purposes. Alex helped me do one but I had to come up with the initial purpose for reading the book I was reading. Why would YOU want to read the book Natural Brilliance? What would it help YOU with in YOUR life? What would YOU want to get out of it?
The PhotoReading book does talk about purpose. Paul offers some suggestions in the book.

I like to think and imagine into the future, What can I see myself doing with this information? How will it help me? Who can I help with this information.? What kind of difference can it make in my life? If it's a subject I've already read about or researched, the purpose usually is along the lines of how will it help my career, my work or life? or WIIFM (what's in it for me? an old one but a good one).

So If I see myself doing something with the information my purpose becomes, I'm learning about x to improve y in my life, to solve y problem or similar. If it could somehow help me I my purpose becomes, I'm reading X so that I can find out if y can be applied to my life so that I can improve that aspect of my life.

Who can I help, Makes it easy to define my purpose. I'm reading this so that I can help *friend* (usually I get an idea how after PhotoReading the book and refine my purpose accordingly.)

For books I don't know if I have a purpose for, which may have been recommended or the title just intrigues me. I PhotoReading with the purpose of finding out WIIFM So that I can decide if I want or need to activate the book later.

You know you've got a purpose when you can add, "so that I can...."

It's not a purpose if it is in the form of a question. The problem with starting using a question as your purpose, you usually have one question and only need one answer, When you have an answer to a question (right or wrong) you're done with the question.

Questions as I just explained should be used to help find your direction.

A purpose is like going into a mall and deciding you want to buy something without a clue what to buy and then start exploring just to see where you can spend your money. You might as well just give it to the first store keeper. Usually people have favourite stores and their purpose is to see if they have anything new for them.

I'm sure there are a few who are Christmas shopping without a clue what to buy. Even so you usually have a purpose, to find a gift for someone you have in mind.

A purpose explains why you are doing something.

In the beginning it takes more time to define our purpose. With experience it becomes natural as reading a novel because you want to know who done it or what happens next. (that's a perfectly acceptable purpose. You can tell because you can finish the statement with "so that I know who done it, so that I know what happened to the hero of the story").

Alex
© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement