Posted By: mkallin Sceptic looking to be convinced - 05/04/15 09:22 PM
Hi all,

First time in the forum here! Have read a bit about photoreading and got curious. When I found this page the presence of pseudoscientific nonsense such as Feng Shui almost had me leave immediately but decided to focus on this forum (I will not discuss anything else in this thread!).

I still don't know if I should believe if photoreading works, it seems that all reviews that say it does are accompanied by "Buy the course from me at a special discount price!". Also, I have a hard time understanding how the subconscious would make something out of pictures that are out of focus.

So right about now you are probably wondering why I'm even wasting everyone's time writing this? Well, because I sort of have made it work in the past.

When I was studying I found that I often easily could remember what the page containing the information I was looking for looked like and where on the page I could find the info. Sadly, I never could make out the information.

So where am I going with this, well basically I guess I just want to talk to people that actually have made it work and are not trying to sell anything...
Posted By: Cosmo Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 05/05/15 09:04 AM
Hahahaahaa!! I had the same experience. Was looking for some tools to assist me get through my boring huge pile of textbooks. Some speed reading and accelerated learning books got me to photoreading. I was convinced with the idea of faster and effortless learning, but again i had a look on the LS website, and the Presense of 'feng shui, numerology, aura seeing had me bitterly disappointed and confused. Photoreading also has a very bad reputation on amazon, yahoo and many other websites that are not into selling you the course. I also am not smart enough to understand why this isnt taught in schools and at learning centres.

I still convinced my mom to buy me this because this seemed to be a hypnosis alike thing to me. I have seen the power of hypnosis and believe we absorb the information faster and effectively through auditory channels or through vision once we are in hypno states.

I have been using the course now for a few months. There are mixed results though.. first, I found the system not working from day one once you learn it, as it is promised. I think it takes huge practice to get it to work. You need to be hopeful and consistent at something to get the results.

You can start with the book. You will get all the idea about photoreading and how it works from the book alone. It shouldnt be tough for you as you had some experiences on the same line.
Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 05/05/15 09:29 AM
Search the forum ... AlexK 2002. That's when I learned PhotoReading.

Reason I did the course. I already knew you cannot read 25,000 words a minute. And yet this is a system that allows a beginner to get their reading done 3 times faster. For me that was the idea that sold me. I could easily read a book in a day. This system promised I could get through 3 books in a day.

I got the course and first read the book as instructed on the very first page. And finished the book and realised the author was showing me that by reading selected parts of the books I could learn all I need from a book. Cool I thought, so this course will teach me how to put the little Einstein's in other books so that I can get information I seek from any book or text.

In 2004 I became a PhotoReading instructor.

As for whether the subconscious can do this? Well most of the course is focus on breaking down the negative self talk that creates barriers that prevent you from tapping the resources of your greater consciousness which the normal consciousness ignores.

It isn't like learning to chop concrete blocks with the bare hands. It's the next step in reading that everyone who can read would normally be able to do if there isn't a limiting self image. That same self image that says I can to algebra or I cannot do algebra. Actually PhotoReading is easier if you know you can already read, then it's only your limiting expectations that say it doesn't work.

If you're wanting it to work it probably won't. Because in wanting you're holding fear that you cannot do it.

Forget fear and just do it and see what happens. Then the mind starts showing you what you can do if you're open.

Alex
Posted By: Cosmo Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 05/08/15 07:50 AM
Placing the einsteins to important paragraphs is how photoreading works? There are many reading goals, example, reading to analyse, reading to remember, read to absorb most of the content and not just a few things.. and thus for textbooks this wouldnt be of any use!
The same is true with mind maps. It is used as a note taking tool and it need not assist in long term memory.

I have been using the system for a few months now but have not been able to get much of out the system. I dont understand why I get the same results with or without the photoreading step. On every book these days, I apply photoreading, I comprehend nothing out of those 30 minutes multiple passes and then I resort to regular read. And to compare, the comprehension from regular reading is unmatched!
I have also been playing with the dictionary game, and now I wonder if anyone has had it working for them.

It is adviced to keep applying activation layers untill it gels, well, with the initial two passes and no comprehension, the level of frustration is so high, one can hardly feel like moving ahead.. I know how much courage and patience it takes to move ahead.

So how does photoreading help me? By keeping my hopes to get it SOMEDAY and I consume my textbooks with ease n surpass my classmates!
Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 05/08/15 10:07 AM
Quote:

Placing the einsteins to important paragraphs is how photoreading works? There are many reading goals, example, reading to analyse, reading to remember, read to absorb most of the content and not just a few things.. and thus for textbooks this wouldnt be of any use!
The same is true with mind maps. It is used as a note taking tool and it need not assist in long term memory.

That's what I grabbed from it when I first learned PhotoReading. One places the Einstein's according to purpose. It still works. You read the sections that pertain to your goal. You don't really to read everything.

Reading everything is not really making optimal use of your conscious mind and time. When the greater consciousness is able to process a whole book in minutes. Trusting the greater consciousness and training the conscious mind to wake up to the information from the reader consciousness is like placing the Einstein's at the passages you need to consciously be aware of.

What are you doing during those multiple passes? Tell us some of the questions you've asked during a pass of a book.

Quote:
well, with the initial two passes and no comprehension, the level of frustration is so high, one can hardly feel like moving ahead.. I know how much courage and patience it takes to move ahead.

You've never read my experiment have you? It's been posted on the forum a few times since 2002.

I understand the power of giving up and I keep suggesting that in the beginning you do a minimum of 6 (I prefer beginners do 8) 20 minute activation layers, with a timer.

Most do not use or honour the timer.

And most give up within the first 2 activation layers.

And recently I discovered the importance of 8... It becomes a piece of pi.

If you're not learning the system on a book not relating to school work or formal educational studies. Then you're taking the long road to learning the system.

Start with a book of 200 maximum 250 pages on a subject you are interested in. Non fiction. PhotoRead it with a purpose. Postview to build your curiosity and form questions then proceed to activate with questions and activate a minimum of 6, 20 minute activation layers (I really prefer you do 8).

If the book doesn't come together in the first 2 layers, so what? I don't expect it to for a beginner learning on their own. You'll be finished when it gels.

Don't worry the giving up habit affects normal reading as well. Research I encountered in 1996 found that nearly all books bought are only read to the 3rd chapter before they are shelved. A Researcher went as far as putting $5 in the back of a number of books along with a note to contact him when they found it. The books were borrowed a number of times from the library. He was able to retrieve his money at the end. I understood he left the money in the books over a year. And checked that the money was still there.

There has been additional research and it's been demonstrated again that most books are shelved before they have been read beyond the 3rd chapter or 90 to 120 minutes of reading. Approximately 45 pages into the book. 2.5 minutes is the average reading time per page.

In other words, if you do two activation layers and quit you're giving up before the average reader gives up the book.

In my experiment it wasn't really until the 3rd activation layer I started seeing the information building.

And it gets better. With experience you build the body mind connection and you can finish books in one 20 minute activation layer.

What makes it hard is the program that was trained into us by school. No one actually taught us to read. They taught us how to memorise words. Not how to read for meaning.

Reading for meaning... How to.

Establish a purpose, What you want to know and why you want to know it.
Keep it in mind while activating
Take regular breaks. The longer your activation layer the greater the likelihood that you've gone off the garden path away from your purpose. And are reading to be entertained.

Alex
Posted By: KWLee Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 05/11/15 04:16 AM
I happened to be passing by looking for a particular post and noted this thread. Although some may remember me and my own story with PhotoReading, I think perhaps another's experience might help:

https://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=82259#Post82259

One year after this particular post, I received a message from this young man which included the following brief comment regarding his first year at university:

"I pretty much topped my year, achieving distinctions, which I am most pleased about."

All that was done with PhotoReading. There was nothing particularly special about the way the technique was applied. PhotoReaders themselves can lose their way when they give up purpose, questions and activation layers. I repeat Alex's advice regarding multiple layers.
Posted By: Cosmo Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 05/20/15 08:43 AM
There would many reasons one shouldnt give up on a better learning system.
1. I happened to measure the time it takes to read a book word for word, and my observations are horrible. It takes way too much time to push eyes across the page than to comprehend what the information is about.
2. In regular reading, you read in the manner the author wants you to read. You may not always find this a better fashion.
3. Most of the times you spend a lot of time reading something only to find you wasted all of the time and gained particularly nothing.
Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 05/20/15 10:25 AM
Point 3 I discovered applies to many books.

The problem with traditional reading is it takes x hours to read from beginning to end, longer when you don't know what you're looking for.

The PhotoReading step allows me to dump books from which I cannot gain anything.

Alex
Posted By: Cosmo Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 05/27/15 11:23 AM
Alex, I have read your experiment with a German book. There indeed is a big mismatch of time spent and satisfaction compared to regular reading, but you also were not a beginner for sure. You had successfully activated books and knew this will going to work.

One, who has not had any success with activation; first looks for what unusual it does than regular reading. Results from regular reading thus acts as a base. He thus compares his comprehension and memory he gets from regular reading to activation. In addition to this, he also first looks for a piece of evidence that what they are doing is correct.

The question answer nature of activation has been a problem for me. I do get answers to my question but then I have to read them all many times to understand them well and also have to use various other techniques to remember them. This leads me to think I am not doing it correct but also dont know where is my mistake.

Thanks.
Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 05/28/15 08:44 AM
The experiment I did was to throw me back into the beginner mindset. I had never successfully completed a non-fiction book in German. So in fact I went even further back. Because my comprehension was lacking even with traditional reading.

And yes I felt all the apprehensions associated with, does this work? Did PhotoReading work for me only because I am a good reader of English text?

What I knew for sure is I'm going to have to do more to see PhotoReading work in the German text than I do with English text. And I recorded it along with my apprehensions.

You're assuring me that the mindset, that this does work and will work is what made it work for me in the German text.

What about your mindset. How long are you going to stay in it that it doesn't work for you?

My experiment demonstrated the steps and work I had to do to get the book to gel. As a raw beginner in text of that language.

You're looking for what you're doing wrong. Look to what is working and build on that.

If you keep looking for that which is wrong you will find things that you think you're doing wrong, even make what you're doing right a wrong.

Alex
Posted By: Cosmo Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 05/29/15 02:49 PM
May be I have been way too conscious about the results. I have a pile of half activated frustratively thrown books.
I have also been failing at dictionary game. Yet to find success in it. Why doesnt this game work I dont understand. And thats why I have become nervous.

I am off to a 30 days- 30 books activation challenge. Will post my experience after a month.
Posted By: photoread4me Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 05/29/15 11:36 PM
Failing at the dictionary game????

It's just a game.

You have been putting way too much pressure on yourself and that interferes with you learning the system. I see fear and I also see all or nothing thinking. You have an expectation that you have to get it all and you have to get it all on the very first pass. It is an unreasonable expectation. Your expectation if out of whack. Also expecting to get it all on the very first pass is a very passive ineffective technique. You probably don't even get credit or acknowledge when you get a small success.

There is a reason why Paul Scheele designed Photoreading to include the Accelerated Learning state. He knew and understood that stress and fear interfered with learning and become a distraction. Instead of focusing on what you want to get from a book you focus on what you don't want and it takes you away from focusing on getting what you want from a book.

Alex said something that was HUGE and I would listen very carefully to this many photoreaders give up too soon when they are first doing an activation pass and they don't think they are getting anything from the activation pass. The problem is if they would just stick around and not give up they would eventually get more and more on the subsequent activation passes and get the successes they were looking for.

Stress, pressure and fear interfere with learning.

Photoread4me.
Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 06/01/15 11:40 AM
The dictionary game? I failed brilliantly at that too. I threw it over my shoulder. It was months before I got it back out of the corner created by two book shelves. When I had the book in my hand again the truth hit me. I succeeded at the dictionary game beyond my wildest dreams.

I kept choosing words that weren't in the dictionary supplied with the home study course. From the moment I decided it was a fluke and I wouldn't be able to pin point words in the dictionary again. To ensure the success of that idea or intent, as my mind chose to apply it. I chose words that weren't in the dictionary. I even remember them, Kingdom, intent, tree, placebo. The game lived up to my expectation.

Let it go, games are designed for losing not winning. That's why it's a game. If you can play it like a game. And with all games we always live up to our expectation.

When you do your 30 book challenge, try to activate for at least 90 minutes to 3 hours on at least 5 of those book.

It takes the average reader 12 to 18 hours to finish a book so be fair, don't give up if you're not done, before 4 hours. Give it four hours. You'll have finished the book in 1/3rd the time or better.

And remember too. If you think at the beginning after PhotoReading a book that it's a [insert your choice of descriptive words for a poor, badly written, uninteresting, useless] book. Notice that feeling. And if you start activating and discover it's not measuring up to your needs, notice that's something you reported to yourself after you PhotoRead the book.

Impossible? Not really. A friend once asked me to by a book, specific title. It wasn't available in Australia and I happened to travel to the US. I PhotoRead the book in the bookshop and thought, actually I think this book is useless for what my friend wants. Even though the title suggested it teaches exactly what he wanted to learn. So I handed him the book while he was learning PhotoReading. His verdict, I suck at PhotoReading I cannot find the specific instructions of what I need to do to put this in practice, even though the book said that he would learn it.

Then I knew exactly what was wrong with the book when I PhotoRead it in the bookshop. I said let me have a look and activated it myself and sure enough. The steps, method were not in the book. Just stories about experience using the skill. It wasn't in the book. It was brilliant that he picked it up that it wasn't in the book in less than 20 minutes. Yet normally he average reader would have had to spend 12 hours with the book to find out, what the book was promising to teach in it's title wasn't in the book.

So don't be so quick to make yourself wrong, not all books live up to their cover. And not all books will live up to your purpose or needs.

Alex
Posted By: Cosmo Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 06/10/15 05:24 PM
Today is the 14th day of my 30 days -30 books challenge.

Experience so far is not quite satisfying. What irks me is, how to form questions from a paragraph you are not aware about and seek answers from it!?
ex.. I find a term interesting as per my purpose- 'structures' . Now, there I can form a huge number of questions from this single word that suits to my purpose. eg- what kind of structures are mentioned? how are they related to the main argument? what has structures to do with exploitation? The single word has me thinking for so many questions... and this is mere an example.

It becomes very tiresome and time consuming to find answers to all of these questions. Sadly, most of the questions go unanswered. and at the end of the entire activation session, you only have a couple of questions answered and total pages you have progressed is 5 or 6.

So I have been wondering is it necessary to ask so many questions? because When I jumpstart my activation with 4 questions, I get just a little information. With increased number of activation, the information generated in very less. The last book I activated about preparing soil for gardens, took me 21 activation layers and at the end I had to read it from starting to comprehend it as per my purpose.

I am just unable to dig out a lot of information with a few questions even when I spend more time with the books and I seriously need some help to cover a lot of information. I am not happy with the questions- answer technique. Are there other alternatives to question- answer approach for activation? I am in serious need.

thank you.
Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 06/11/15 10:22 AM
Quote:
Experience so far is not quite satisfying. What irks me is, how to form questions from a paragraph you are not aware about and seek answers from it!?
ex.. I find a term interesting as per my purpose- 'structures' . Now, there I can form a huge number of questions from this single word that suits to my purpose. eg- what kind of structures are mentioned?
My guess is you didn't find one. how are they related to the main argument? what has structures to do with exploitation? The single word has me thinking for so many questions... and this is mere an example. [/quote]

Aside from not knowing the title of the book and your purpose. Your questions bear no relationship to each other so they don't make sense to me.

I Keep Six Honest... by Rudyard Kipling
I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.

Also known as the precision questions.

Quote:
what kind of structures are mentioned?

Why skip, Where are they mentioned, When are they related to my purpose, Who do they affect. How can I apply structures, when is it even relevant to my purpose?

Quote:
how are they related to the main argument?
Actually, have 'I' already identified the main argument? If so my question would be more relevant than using the expression "main argument"

Quote:
what has structures to do with exploitation?

Didn't find it? Then consider using one of the other six, when do structures have anything to do with exploitation? Or Where do structures have anything to do with Exploitation.

What is the last question from I'm inclined to use. What is when looking for specifics; dates, numbers, quotes, short phrases.

What is singular, that means the answer is usually one word. Or brief. If you want more details ask a better question. And I notice you only asked each question in one form.

Reread the PhotoReading book for the authors train of thoughts. There are usually 4 things to look for while reading.

You only need one or two questions to get started more come as you activate with your purpose in mind.

I keep saying if you have 3 questions to start you have enough don't ask more. You block your flexibility in communicating with the author when you created a long list of questions. Stay open. Like I said there are usually 4 things you're looking for when reading. And in case you missed it. Read the section on authors train of thoughts in the PhotoReading book.

Alex
Posted By: Cosmo Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 06/16/15 07:39 PM
The word and those questions were written just for an example. The questions I prepare to get my activation started are more or less the same because postview doesnt give me enough time to know what I should ask and where should I dip for it.

Quote:
I keep saying if you have 3 questions to start you have enough don't ask more. You block your flexibility in communicating with the author when you created a long list of questions. Stay open.

When I start with 3-4 questions, I saw I miss things. I miss Almost 80 percent of the other things. So I keep on making a huge list with the help of TOC, headings and subheadings because I need them ALL. I just cant skip any. I keep purpose to activate books till the point I can myself write a similar book. SO, to make that happen, I cant skip anything.

I have a question on skittering. How does one make sense of something while moving eyes in some random zigzag pattern or some other? In skittering, we arent supposed to read sentences, are we? I tried this method but it gets me nowhere so far. I am interested in it because it seems faster than dipping. But when I do it, Nothing makes sense!

thanks.
Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 06/17/15 10:41 AM
How much time are you spending postviewing? The whole point of postviewing is to discover what is relevant, where you can start activating and what questions you have for the author in relation to what you have seen.

Quote:
When I start with 3-4 questions, I saw I miss things. I miss Almost 80 percent of the other things.

No you haven't, you've seen what you need to activate next. You haven't missed it. It's still there.

Stop Copying TOC. After previewing don't look at the TOC again until you start activating. It's not necessary to see the TOC again during postviewing. Postviewing is where you decide where you are going to start and what you're going to start on.

If you don't have a question and you start skittering the paragraph I doubt it makes sense. Read, For Meaning. That means if you have a question in mind the words are going to have some sort of meaning as related to the first sentence of a paragraph.

For the most part skittering is only useful in technical books or academically written books. If the book is written in 'sound bites' there's little point in calling it skittering when you read the first and only sentence of each paragraph. (Sound Bites = each paragraph is one sentence long. If you're lucky it has 3)

Alex
Posted By: Cosmo Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 06/30/15 07:14 AM
I am activating chapterwise. And therefore, before each chapter I am postviewing for 10 mins or so to form mind probing questions.

Okay, so I have not missed it, but there comes a time when I require to go through all information to make sure I have got it.
Example- with respect to my mind probing question- how would I describe functions of sclelenchyma cells?
So I jump to a paragraph that describes functions of schelenchyma cells. And I dip in. While doing this, I also notice I also need information on characteristics and formation of those cells. So in the next layer, I cover it. Then again I see something that wants me to have a look at it. This goes on and it takes me very long time to activate one single chapter.

A broader question gives too much to dip in and a very short one gives only a little information. This becomes troublesome.
With dense academic text, it also becomes difficult to form as many question to cover all the ideas.
Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 06/30/15 08:46 AM
Why are you wasting 10 minutes postviewing? After PhotoReading Postview the whole book. Then activate. If you choose to activate chapter wise that's okay just activate, you don't need 10 minutes to Postview a chapter. You can finish activating a chapter in 10 minutes.

In activation, my first question would be why would I need to describe Sclelenchyma cell. Then I'd be asking what I need to know in order to describe them.

Try rephrasing your first question, there are better questions. How is usually my last question after knowing why I want to know.

You form questions as you go. And for textbooks I find turning the subheading into questions usually helps.

So if I see a heading "Sclelenchyma Cells". I would be running through who what why when where how. What are.... Why do I need to know about... Believe me it becomes rapid to turn the subhead into all 6 forms of the question. Then I look at what the author is focused on of those 6. Usually it's only two. And man you got love the authors who form their subheads into the chapter... that's usually their main focus though you will find one of the other 6 also addressed.

Alex
Posted By: Cosmo Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 07/01/15 07:11 AM
Okay. But is it really essential to ask everything everytime why I need it? Because, my most probable answer to this question would be- to know it to pass the tests..

Here is how I am working on it right now-

purpose- to understand and remember the plant tissue system so I can perform well on the topic in tests.

topic- organisation of plant body

heading- ground tissues

subheading- Sclerenchyma

The passage-
Sclerenchyma cells have tough, thick walls; they usually lack living protoplasts when they are mature. Their secondary cell walls are often impregnated with lignin, a highly branched polymer that makes cell walls more rigid. Cell walls containing lignin are said to be lignified.
Lignin is common in the walls of plant cells that have a supporting or mechanical function. Some kinds of cells have lignin de-posited in primary as well as secondary cell walls.There are two types of sclerenchyma: fibers and sclereids.Fibers are long, slender cells that are usually grouped to-gether in strands. Linen, for example, is woven from strands of sclerenchyma fibers that occur in the phloem of flax.
Sclereids are variable in shape but often branched. They may occur singly or in groups; they are not elongated, but may have various forms, including that of a star.
The gritty texture of a pear is caused by groups of sclereids that occur throughout the soft flesh of the fruit. Both of these tough, thick-walled cell types serve to strengthen the tissues in which they occur.

the type of questions I am usually asked in exam-

1. Describe any one of the ground tissues in detail.
2. Write a note on sclerenchyma cells.
3. Describe two types of sclerenchyma in brief.

so my mind probing questions -
1. why would I need to study sclerenchyma cells?
- to understand and be able to write well in exam

2. Where will I find the description and function of these cells?

3. what is the description and function?

Etc..

Is this how I should do it?

All what, where, why, when, how would form way too many questions for each paragraph, wouldnt they?
and, if these three questions are for sclerenchyma, there would again be many more for parenchyma, collenchyma, other headings, other topics, and other subjects..!! so technically, I need to dip into everything.

Thanks.
Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 07/01/15 10:15 AM
For most people "to pass the test" is not a good enough reason. What are you going to do with it once you passed the test?

And yes, even if the answer is, to pass the test it is a good idea to think of that before you start activating.

Your scratch of information doesn't work for me because I don't get what your purpose is. What's the test about? What are you being tested on and what do you need to know in order to past the unidentified test you're asking about.

What's lacking for me is your real purpose. With out a purpose I'm not remotely interested in the topic.

Quote:

the type of questions I am usually asked in exam-

1. Describe any one of the ground tissues in detail.
2. Write a note on sclerenchyma cells.
3. Describe two types of sclerenchyma in brief.

Now that's ... Sweet.

My questions for the author

[my purpose to describe well enough to pass the test]

What are the details of the ground tissue? {I'd be mapping and drawing them as well.

How could I summarise [note] this?

Are there more than two types... What two would the instructor preferred compare? How does the author compare them.

Now I start activating with those questions in mind.

If you know what your instructor is going to ask you in your test you have your foundation for activation questions.

Alex
Posted By: Cosmo Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 07/02/15 07:41 AM
I may not need the information once I get through the tests.

Frankly speaking, If I knew what the instructor is going to ask, why will I even need to activate the books!? Or even photoreading them at the first place? Look for the answers to related chapters and I am done.
But it doesnt happen that way. And as far as I know, no top universities do that.

I tried mindmapping but I find it very slow. I am a visual learner and my preferred style of learning had been to visualize particularly everything I read. Can I use this as an activation tool? If yes, how?

Thanks.
Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 07/02/15 10:33 AM
Ask the instructor what will be tested. ask for previous years test.

If you don't plan on using what you learn, why are you sitting through the course?

Alex
Posted By: Cosmo Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 07/09/15 09:27 PM
Well, I cant do that everytime. And why cant I form questions myself than let the instructor do it for me!?

I want to get much more from the books I am activating than answer a few questions. I would like to be proficient in all those subjects that bog me down everytime.
It seems difficult to achieve the level of proficiency with the process of just asking questions and finding answers. And so, I need additional tools as well that will help me get what dipping wont give me. Besides, you advice to use NOPS, dont u?

Also, this webpage startled me. This gentleman, Win Wenger mentions he isnt a proficient photoreader, but mastered two books in a photoreading 30-minutes mastery seminar.
http://www.winwenger.com/part100.htm

Its not financially possible for me to attend this particular mastery seminar, but would like to be proficient in my subjects the same way he has mentioned in that webpage. Interestingly, He doesnt mention of using any other methods like image streaming freenoting etc, which he has invented himself.
Thats why I am struggling hard to do everything i can, to increase my proficiency and in-depth knowledge of what I am activating.
Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 07/10/15 09:46 AM
If you could form the questions yourself you'd have perfected the PhotoReading system for yourself.

If you're getting bogged down it means you're activating too long and forgot your purpose.

Yes, Win Wenger did that at the PhotoReading Retreat. He used the system following the 5 steps as taught in the course.

You'll notice that Win has a purpose. That's why he's proficient. And he did a lot of freenoting. It's an interesting technique and I do find myself doing a condensed version of it while activating some books. I have a stack of notebooks which I start freenoting in during activation. My purpose isn't to just learn what others have to say and be able to parrot it back. I'm not tested on the information. It's personal research so freenoting is an exploration of my own thoughts.

If you're going to try freenoting you'll have to PhotoRead the book and then start writing on the topic without postviewing. Write about 10 pages which for most people will be 60 minutes of fast writing. That's one reason most won't use free-noting. You also need to throw away the first 4 pages.

Image streaming after PhotoReading before postviewing is interesting again. Though you need to remember that image streams are metaphorical and it's difficult to recognise the relationship to the book. It works better if you've already learned to decode the images.

You're struggling because you continue to go over the first step of the system too lightly and not sticking to the times you intended for activation.

If you've done the home study course. Then you would have done at least 1 book of your own before turning to your school work.

I keep repeating this a lot. Do Not attempt to learn the system on school work. Work on books using the 5 day test on subject not related to school-work until you're experience that gelling with a couple of books.

Also if you're working on textbooks stop trying to rush it. Textbooks normally take 26 to 100 hours of reading using traditional reading. You're not going to be finished with a textbook in 20 minutes.

That's another reason to do the 5 day test on other books first. You learn to chunk your reading. The 5 day test is done on books of about 200 pages.

Alex
Posted By: Cosmo Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 07/10/15 01:01 PM
Whatever purpose Win had, He activated those books for 30 minutes and became thoroughly proficient. What I notice here-

1. He did not dip into the entire book in 30 minutes.(for sure)
2. He could become proficient in the entire therapeutic system even without having dipped in most of the parts of the book.

How does this feat can only be related to 'purpose' alone?

There is no denying the photoreading system stands on the pillar of purpose. But there are a few things that are very confusing-
1. how to find a purpose that brings me in depth knowledge and proficiency
2. how does change in purpose changes the result.
I mean, I remember that example in the book, setting a purpose for reading in dentist's office for distraction. Okay. I set that purpose, but then how will superreading and dipping help me distract my mind from the destist preparing for root canal? and where do I go to superread and where do I dip in such scenario?

thanks..

Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 07/13/15 10:46 AM
This purpose helped him to find where to dip. What pages of the book to focus on.

Quote:
1. how to find a purpose that brings me in depth knowledge and proficiency

Have you considered you can activate the PhotoReading book to answer that. Superread and dip page 24.

Quote:
2. how does change in purpose changes the result.

How does it not. If someone reads the same book for a different reason, do you doubt they would find significant information related to their purpose?

You get 30 people read a two page article and ask them to find a sentence that explained the whole article to them in a meaningful way to them you will have at least 18 different sentences.

Quote:
, but then how will superreading and dipping help me distract my mind from the destist preparing for root canal? and where do I go to superread and where do I dip in such scenario?

That is a rather poor example. To be distracted you can read anything. That's why people don't care how old the magazine is, If they want to be distracted they just read, or count holes in the wall in front of them or chew off their fingernails.

If you're purpose is to be distracted you can just look at the pages of the book. You won't remember anything anyway by the time you leave the chair. Traditional reading works the same.

Alex
Posted By: Cosmo Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 07/20/15 04:14 PM
So I got my senior to form some questions for me.. She handed over a list of questions to me related to one of my subjects. There are 30 questions in total, and they may not cover the entire subject.

I will start with them, but after finishing them, how will I cover the portions these questions dont cover?

thanks..
Posted By: photoread4me Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 07/20/15 07:27 PM
Create your own set of questions for the portions that are not covered by the questions your senior form for you.

You need to take responsibility for your own learning. Alex is here to help but she cannot and should not constantly hold your hand. The same goes for the senior who formed a list of questions for you.

What you are studying right now others before you have learned and mastered what you are studying. They did have to make a effort and do the work to master the material and you will have to make an effort and do the work if you wish to master the material.

There are no free lunches. You do not get something for nothing. If you truly want to master the material you need to make an effort and do the work.

You need to listen better. Much of your problem is not listening to Alex well and not applying her advice then you go and do things your own way and things are not working out well for you because you are not using the Photoreading system correctly and when Alex gives you correct information on how to use the system correctly so you can have success with the system and you choose to ignore Alex's advice or do things your own way things do not work out very well for you.

Speaking of ignoring I gave you some advice that you completely ignored previously and did not even acknowledge.

Photoread4me.
Posted By: Cosmo Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 07/27/15 07:00 PM
I never ignored any advice. I just cant afford to. This system is not working for me and I am working to make it work for me.

You dont understand what kind of mental trauma a struggler goes through, do you?
I ask repeatedly because I still get stuck somewhere with the advice and help offered. I dont do it for fun or without reading what others answer to my posts. If my questions irritate you can choose to ignore.

I was advised to ask instructor for questions, because of which I went on obtaining the questions. Why rely on third person for my reading goals otherwise!?
You would have understood my problem and the context of my questions if you followed some previous posts. You didn't read it properly, did you!?

You advised me to 'keep on applying layers and not to give it up, so at the end it will start to gel..!' This is not an advice dear, this is the question! a very big question with which I am wrestling from long. If I ask help for a problem doing butterfly stroke in swimming, would you ever say, keep on doing it and eventually it will work?!

I am not ignorant. I rather am finding an opportunity to thank you when you target my question precisely and help me get a breakthrough.

I do value people and efforts. Not the formality.
Posted By: Adarsh Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 07/28/15 04:23 AM
Hi cosmo.Just checked in the forum today.Dont sweat it .if its not working dont force yourself.you know to read in the normal way so continue doing it.Do the activation for 20 mins daily on 1 non fiction book.you will generate your own ideas and get a hang of the system.Here are some milestones to help you out to know that you are getting a good hold of the system.You will be able to get the entire pattern of the book ,like a giant mind map of the book and know where the major information lies in the book.Its not the same as knowing th econtent of the book.You will get a good feel that you know the book.You will see yourself applying the system when you watch movies ,when you read magazines ,when you read a novel when you learn something knew.The mind map and structuring a book will be second nature to you and then you will get good at relevance and irrelevance of information.
Thats my feel.My experience.
Dont sweat too much if you are not getting it you are not getting it.
I am teaching my 5 year old before numbers and after nos.She gets after nos correctly but before nos she doesnt get it .I have tried many days .Yesterday she suddenly got it when i started playing a game with her.She made the connection.
So learnign is getting that connection.The analogy is to tell you that learnign something new is making that connection.Dont take all our inputs as the holy grail .Even if you get frustrated and blame all of us its ok.relax.let go and study in your normal way.Take 20 mins of activation daily and see.
All the best.
Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 07/28/15 11:17 AM
Trying... doesn't work. That's why we struggle.

I keep asking you to work more on books not relating to your studies so that you will just let go and do.

As long as you're stressing while doing the activation you are evaluating what you're doing (trying to get it right) while you're doing it.

Why not just do it and let it be wrong if it's going to be wrong?

If you're going to ignore the advise to do it on other books not relating to school work it's going to take longer to learn both the PhotoReading system and the subject. It's like learning to build a skateboard and learning to do skateboard stunts on a board that hasn't been completely built. Do it more with text you don't have so much invested in.

Letting go and learning the you'll build the body mind connection that point you to answers to the questions. You also start asking better questions because the body mind connection see a better question to be answered in the txt.

On school work. Asking the instructor is not asking a third person to help you with you're learning, you're asking the first person. The one who will be testing you.

School work usually involves textbooks, PhotoRead textbooks more often, the 10 minutes or so a day you invest for a couple of weeks does pay off

Activating textbooks. I've posted this so often it's not funny anymore.

Note the chapters to be activated, prior to activation, PhotoRead the two chapters before and two chapters following the required chapter before activation. (Usually 5 chapters and that takes about 2 minutes)

Now I recommend you spend 2 minutes postviewing the core chapter. Form one or two questions (not more) for the chapter. And then continue to activate for the remainder of the activation period. If you're working on your own in your own study period do not exceed 20 minutes. At the end of the 20 minutes do a quick review of the mind map... If you're not mind mapping you're not really preparing your resources for exams on the subject.

And if you're not reviewing, you will forget 60% of what you learned in the first 24 hours. By the end of the week you'll be lucky to remember 20%. Review your mind map 2 to 3 minutes once a day and you retain the bulk of what you studied in recent memory. When you review, pay attention to what's gone missing, build the memory web to make it easier to pull up into memory.

Most important.

Use a timer

Those who have the most difficulty learning the PhotoReading
system are not stopping their activation layers with a timer.

Alex
Posted By: Adarsh Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 07/29/15 04:02 AM
cosmo.
that's why i used my daughters learning experience analogy,the method to get the knowledge will not change.there is no other way.we simply keep searching for more.Alex must have posted this advise in so many forums ,its up to you to keep trying and not getting "tired of trying".cause when you make the connection thats it ,it's yours!!!we dont know why some people take many days and months to understand anything and some people take very little time to learn.i find it very hard to learn languages but maths ,i just needed my teacher to tell me once and zap i had it ,i knew how to use it.I dont know why ?i am not great genius and i have not contributed to society but some things we get it and something we dont.the best thing is to believe and keep trying and keep reviewing your experiments asking yourself did i learn, did some words get me the whole meaning of a para ,of a page ,of a text ,did i get the answer to my question?how is all this text structured ?how is the main idea being dealt?what themes are being explained here?a few words, a sentence will answer that and that's it that's what opens up an entire text for us.And you do it again and agian and again till its second nature.hope this helps!!!
Posted By: photoread4me Re: Sceptic looking to be convinced - 07/31/15 08:03 AM
Cosmo,

You said;

"You dont understand what kind of mental trauma a struggler goes through, do you?"

Go back and read the post I did on 05-29-15 the post that you choose to ignore and did not even respond or reply to. That post talked about how fear, stress or pressure and worry interfere with learning. I gave you that information to help you because as Paul Scheele the creator of the Photoreading
Whole Mind system knew and understood fear and stress and worry interferes with learning. I suggest you go over the Prepare step and read about entering the ideal state for reading.

You said;

I was advised to ask instructor for questions, because of which I went on obtaining the questions. Why rely on third person for my reading goals otherwise!?

The whole point of this forum is about helping people I have been helping people on this forum for 12 years as far back as 2003. What were you doing 12 years ago?

As for not relying on a third person you lose so much there is a wealth of information that other photoreaders have that could help you. Do you think you are too good to talk to other photoreaders.

Let me give you a classic example Adarsh who is a great photoreader who cares about other people and wants other people to experience and enjoy the success he is enjoying sends you a post and you do not even respond!!!!!!

I would highly recommend you do a search on Adarsh on the photoreading forum he has fantastic advice that will help you to succeed.

You said;

You would have understood my problem and the context of my questions if you followed some previous posts. You didn't read it properly, did you!?

I read all your posts and I saw Alex giving you great advice and you not listening and not applying her advice then you go and make these declarations Photoreading does not work or it does not work for me the reason it is not working for you is you are not applying the techniques correctly.

Cosmo,

One thing that is extremely important is your attitude.

Having the right attitude makes all the difference in the world between success or failure.

You said;

I never ignored any advice. I just cant afford to. This system is not working for me and I am working to make it work for me.

Read the Photoreading book this is not about work or about working see what Paul Scheele says about work in the Photoreading book.

Well my dear we are here to help. That is what the Photoreading Forum is all about helping people to get the most out of Photoreading.

Photoread4me
© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement