Posted By: Jovo Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/17/01 07:25 AM
As the subject says I am wondering if I can use BrainWave Generator to get into state and maintain it while photoreading.

Have any of you tried it? What do you think? Which preset works the best for this purpose?

Posted By: flexyco Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/17/01 08:18 AM
The brainwave generator is fun, and works. But I myself am not too happy with it. It's better to learn how to get into alpha state yourself. That way, you won't need a walkman, tape and batteries all the time Harder to master, but more pure. I have meditated for years, but the result I get with the program is less exciting to say the least.

You probably know that buddhist monks use the opposite of a brainwave generator: silence.

Posted By: Brian649 Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/17/01 03:37 PM
It's better to learn how to get into alpha state yourself. That way, you won't need a walkman, tape and batteries all the time

Absolutely. The technology is known as "Entrainment", meaning that if you listen to a 10hz over a period of time, your mind will become accostumed to that frequency, and accessing or even living in that state of mind will turn into an unconcious habit.

You probably know that buddhist monks use the opposite of a brainwave generator: silence.

You mean Zen monks--it also takes them 20 years or more to reach a state we can reach in 20 minutes with proper use of brainwave entrainment. Actually, Buddhist monks use all sorts of sounds to entrain their minds, such as very low, frog-like, repititious chanting, tingly chimes, resonating singing bowls, etc... some pretty psyechedlic stuff--they put out some great CDs.

Don't forget that buddhist monks have nothing to do with their lives other than cultivate themselves--our culture demands action. (btw, beats have been used to induce trance throughout history and through they myriad cultures--a binaural beat is a beat inside your head, instead of a drum) Recently, I've been stepping up my ambitions and activity. I've been getting impatient with Tai Chi. My teacher tells me that it takes upwards of 40 years to master the art... you know.... There are newer and better technologies out there that were not available to the original consciousness pioneers. We should take advantage of them, in my opinion.

The results I've experienced with binaural beats, not necesarily the bwgen (those built-in presets are admittedly flimsy), but the mixes I have made myself on Cool Edit have accelerated my spiritual path by at least a couple decades--not to mention my photoreading ability.

If volume disturbs you, that is entirely understandable. Try lowering the sound of the tones to 1%. You won't be able to conciously hear it, yet it will have the same effect. Masking the tones with pink noise at 20% volume increases the effect by around 30%.

The visual entrainment of mind-machine goggles also compounds the effects by several orders of magnitude. They make all the difference in the world.

peace

Posted By: flexyco Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/17/01 04:17 PM
Absolutely. The technology is known as "Entrainment", meaning that if you listen to a 10hz over a period of time, your mind will become accostumed to that frequency, and accessing or even living in that state of mind will turn into an unconcious habit.

Exremely cool if I understand what you're telling: meditation while not meditating. Constantly in flow. Having conversations with "god" 24 hours a day...

You mean Zen monks--it also takes them 20 years or more to reach a state we can reach in 20 minu................Quoting all the way.............onsciousness pioneers. We should take advantage of them, in my opinion.

Thanks for correcting me. That is so true.

The results I've experienced with binaural beats, not necesarily the bwgen (those built-in presets are admittedly flimsy), but the mixes I have made myself on Cool Edit have accelerated my spiritual path by at least a couple decades--not to mention my photoreading ability.

Are those Cool-Edit mixes something you would like to share with the community? I'm curious about the results.

If volume disturbs you, that is entirely understandable.

Disturbing, not really. In the past I've slept on top of a washing machine a couple of times, and even used vacuuum cleaners for creating that very special drowsiness. I always get tired of noise. For me, it's a real good way for falling asleep. But for meditation I usually used silence.

galactic peace ( )

Posted By: Brian649 Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/17/01 04:29 PM
meditation while not meditating. Constantly in flow.

That's right. Flow 24/7 as I call it.

Are those Cool-Edit mixes something you would like to share with the community? I'm curious about the results.

Certainly. It's in your mail. But I must warn you, these are INTENSE. They play havoc with your electical system and may cause your hair to fall out and you digestive system to reverse. Use it at your own risk. What is it? 200 or so simultaneous binaural beats all at incredibly low frequencies. It should induce a state of complete cellular regeneration and virtual death. You'll notice that your 'brain chi' will start activating. You'll be able to tell which portion of your brain you're thinking with at any given moment, because you'll feel the electrical stimulation on your scalp.

THIS IS INTENSITY. and it is dangerous.

Posted By: evanspa21 Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/17/01 10:14 PM
hey brian, can you email me your homemade patterns for cooleditor?

Posted By: NiJuIchi Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/18/01 03:07 AM
Flex, how do you suggest one would train to reach alpha state on their own?

Posted By: trs96813 Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/18/01 08:27 AM
hey brian, i would like a shot at those patterens too. can i get a email?

Posted By: Drew Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/18/01 09:04 AM
Me too, please Brian.

Posted By: JRMaynard Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/18/01 01:14 PM
Brian,

Just got Cool Edit 2000. Do you think you could sent me your presets that you have so far. Thanks.

JR

Posted By: Brian649 Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/18/01 04:57 PM
sorry guys, but it only went through to 2 out of 5 of you. It's 900kb large and some of your email servers rejected it.

Maybe there is an intelligence in this universe. Honestly, it may not be a good idea to experiment with this. I think drugs may be safer

Posted By: Gareth Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/19/01 06:49 AM
Brian, can you send the file to me as well please. I promise I'll handle with care!

Posted By: jaco Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/18/01 10:04 PM
Brian :
I recently downloaded the BWG and I too
would like the files to experiment (with
care of naturally). I discovered this
accidentally a few yrs ago when I used fall
asleep with my radio on but untuned making noises!!!! ...........
weird I know but it used to send me to sleep
v. easily. I only thought about this when
I saw the BWG website and these posts.

Thanks.

Posted By: Brian649 Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/19/01 06:41 AM
Okay, this is getting out of hand. 5 of 13 requests went through. The others returned the message with a 'file-size' error.

I'll tell you what. I'm still learning. I'm still an apprentice--albeit an advanced apprentice. But in a couple weeks, perhaps a month or two, I should have the trade secrets down pat. Thus, I will eliminate the undesirable side-effects, and compound the entrainment effect. I'll post it to a webpage as well. It'll all be done by the end of Spring Break, I promise.

cheers.

Posted By: Jovo Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/19/01 08:26 AM
You guys seem to have experinece with this. So you probably can answer my question: If I taped a present from Bwgen, would that tape have the same effect as the program? Or the tape would't work because the sound of left and right would mix?

And Brian, I am one more interested soul in your preset. I fyou could send it on vilendecicjo@eudoramail.com it would be great. You will not have that file-size error.

Posted By: Lomas Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/19/01 05:01 PM
Jovo:
The right and left 'voices' will be separated only if you use a stereo tape recorder and connect it to your computer correctly.

You can usually tell if the tape recorder is stereo by whether it has two built-in microphones. They also should have two input jacks - one for each side (right/left). You may have to buy a splitter to separate the stereo cable from the computer into the two jacks.

Now...if you just want to record it to CD, then your life will be much easier. Just have bwgen play the preset into a wav file (from the wave menu), and then record to CD.

I am also an eager customer for your files, Brian...Thanks!

Hope that helps,
Lomas

[This message has been edited by Lomas (edited February 19, 2001).]

Posted By: Jovo Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/19/01 07:14 PM
This just hit me. What would happen if you listened for deep meditation preset (or one similiar to it) while sleeping at night? How would you feel the next day?

Or, what if you listened a preset which improves learning. Would it be easier to study the next day (or next few days)?

Did anyone try that?

Posted By: duerra Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/19/01 08:24 PM
Brian,
I happen to notice that you are the starter of quite a few large threads not only on this forum, but on others too. You are a very active participant.

Maybe you should see if Paul and Pete have some room for another employee? Just an idea. You seem to have a knack at this.

Posted By: Brian649 Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/20/01 04:56 AM
What if you listened a preset which improves learning. Would it be easier to study the next day (or next few days)?]/b]

The hemi-sync track, "Think Fast" is dynamite--I noticed an effect instantly. (It may be even better than Personal Genius.)

[B]This just hit me. What would happen if you listened for deep meditation preset (or one similiar to it) while sleeping at night? How would you feel the next day?

Sure. Works great. Much better than trying to go without sleep. Going without sleep altogether takes about 5 days to adjust--very difficult. This, however, is eminently feasible--perhaps 1 hour meditation with 4.5 hours of sleep succeeding, and you're good to go. You play the delta preset whenever your bedtime comes up. At one point during the night, you come out of the trance and get the urge to roll over and get some real sleep.

Here, you've generated an enormous amount of 'delta resource' as I call it, and because of the see-saw nature of NREM/REM, you set yourself up for an ultra intense REM experience.

Hemi-Sync puts out two items of interest here. I have querried them and "Super-Sleep" is their only CD that goes below 3.4hz (deep sleep). However, on their "TimeOut for Sleep" CD, they include one very short track entitled, "extended deep sleep".

(TimeOut for Sleep includes brainwave patterns that actually match our various stages of sleep, so you can program your own sleep cycle--ingenious.)

I think you can find that track on Napster if you try. Unfortunately, my university has banned Napster.

Anyhow, "Extended Deep Sleep" was the track that most lit my eyes! It totally puts me out within 15 minutes. Where does the time go? I click out, then I look up and it's four hours later and time to get up! It's like entering a time machine. Pretty cool, actually.

The REM sleep track should be interesting as well!

Maybe you should see if Paul and Pete have some room for another employee? Just an idea. You seem to have a knack at this.

Duerra, you're very kind. Unfortunately, I have no qualifications. Nothing in the realm of officaldom. All I got... is what I got --passion and a divergent mind.

History...huh. "the study of the past". BAH! What is history to a Present Momentist? It would seem that the universe is not without a sense of humor to mock me so.

Actually, I've been checking out this Ph.D program at the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology in Palo Alto, CA.. http://www.itp.edu/ I think it is the only place in the world where you can *actually get a degree* in this stuff! The folks aren't too happy with the idea, though. Nope.. not happy at all. It would seem that the goal of an Ivy League education is status, money, power. I have no use for these things--beyond what is functional.

Posted By: JRMaynard Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/21/01 08:07 PM
Brian,

Thanks for the preset, haven't been able to fall asleep with it yet, but still trying.

As far as your parents are concerned with what you want to do with your life, I totally understand your situation. I am at the US Naval Academy and I feel that I was pushed to come due to the effect that it would have on my later years. Sometimes I am miserable, but I get by. I have decided from now on that I am going to make my own decisions for myself, and I feel ten times better. I suggest you do the same. It is hard to do in the beginning, but they will come to an understanding soon enough. This is your life...not theirs.

Good luck to you,

JR

Posted By: Margaret Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/21/01 10:40 PM
Brian,
When i was your age, i felt the same way. But, in the 30+ years since then, i have come to understand that status, money & power can be used for the good of the world, to benefit the world. My vision was limited to understanding status, $$ & power b/c i saw them thru the eyes of my parents. It took a long time to understand them on my terms.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian649:
[b]It would seem that the goal of an Ivy League education is status, money, power. I have no use for these things--beyond what is functional.

Posted By: Brian649 Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/22/01 05:32 AM
JR, you have a very Naval sounding name! Makes me think of traveling the seven seas... (seriously!) (I've always thought that the sound and spelling and associations of our name affect our destiny.) .... think of 'Poindexter', for instance. or... 'Lance'

Actually, the preset isn't really for sleep, though you may fall asleep listening to it. That was just something I was playing around with, trying to stimulate ... 'brain chi' for lack of a better term. I've not used it for sleep reduction, though I guess you can. It causes a veritable electical storm in the brain. It's not very safe, hence all the disclaimers and warnings. Aside from gastrointestinal problems, what you should be noticing after a while is a tingling that spreads slowly over and around every inch of your scalp. I can only assume this is electical activity. You may also notice stimulation of either the third eye or crown chakras.

This is like Centerpointe or Monroe on SuperSteroids. Same concept of adapting to lower and lower frequencies.. only eminently more intense.

The brain likes to carve and travel along paths of least resistance. I thought this might jar the brain out of those habitual modes of thinking. Why do this? Well, aside from horrible health consequences, I noticed that my mind would constantly get totally and completely absorbed in whatever task it was I decided to focus on. Time? Time flies like and arrow, but fruit flies like a banana. ... sorry, Time disappears, total flow ensues. Doer and Action become one, and all that. That was actually somewhat undesirable, because I started to get TOTALLY lost in trivial things as the time would fly by. Great for writing papers 'on automatic'. Horrible for writing email--it just never ends! Several times I've gotten totally and utterly lost in conversation. It would feel like ten minutes, but upon checking the clock, it's more like 2 hours. Isn't this what we're all aiming for with meditation? Existing in the present moment and all that? ...Feels great, I must say, but, can be impractical sometimes unless the mind is disciplined further.

Margaret,
I guess it comes down to 'doing what I want to do'. Is that childishness? Not that I'm talking about an aversion to work or wanting to play all the time. Rather, I get totally lost in my work! I am fortunate enough to have found an all-consuming passion, but unfortunate in that career opportunities are few and far.

Got Flow?

Posted By: Roginet Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 02/24/01 08:45 PM
"Extended Deep Sleep" is it 6:58min long? I just found it on Napster, I'm about to download it.

Posted By: Eric Seavey Re: Brain Wave Generator and PRing - 03/03/01 04:49 AM
Steven Halpern has some effective meditation "music"
Spectrum Suite slips you right into alpha. Also Higher Grounds is quite nice.

Eric

© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement