Posted By: N. Armstrong Propping Up the Book to 45 degrees - 11/07/01 08:01 AM
Hello Fellow PhotoReaders.

How do you prop up the book you are about to PhotoRead? The course states that the best angle is 45 degrees and your eyes are facing the book directly.

The best thing I can think of is a book holder. What are your thoughts?

Posted By: Don Sceptori Re: Propping Up the Book to 45 degrees - 11/07/01 10:22 AM
Well, when I started out, I used to prop books up with just about anything I could find (.. other books, the telephone, and once, even a sneaker ). After a while though, I decided to invest in a nice little foldable bookholder from Levenger.com (which cost me all of $25). I never looked back (It did wonders for my page-flipping )

Take care.

Sceptor

Posted By: Margaret Re: Propping Up the Book to 45 degrees - 11/07/01 10:58 PM
Levenger has 3 different book props. The metal one is the best. I bought the plastic & it's not really worthwhile. BTW, i put a little piece of soft foam on it & now my books, regardless of the size, do not slip.

Posted By: Don Sceptori Re: Propping Up the Book to 45 degrees - 11/08/01 12:01 AM
The one I got is called the Novel Bookstand. You can see it here: http://www.levenger.com/shop/ItemPage.asp?Title=Novel+Bookstand (..price has gone up some since I got mine about a year ago).

I'm quite satisfied with it, except I think they could have made the hinges sturdier.

Ok now, byebye then.

Sceptor

Posted By: Margaret Re: Propping Up the Book to 45 degrees - 11/08/01 12:40 AM
No, that's not the one i have. I couldn't find it on their site, but i'm sure they have it. It comes in different colors: red, yellow, blue, metal w/ no color.

It's a great stand for throwing in a back pack & for pc work. It has a revolving thing on the bottom to hold the book open also. Plus it's heavy enuff & has a pad on the bottom so that it doesn't slide.

Posted By: Don Sceptori Re: Propping Up the Book to 45 degrees - 11/08/01 03:56 AM
Ah yes, the heavy base sounds good. Mine sometimes slides when I.. um.. muscle through a big book. I'm thinking about getting one of those adhesive rubber pads to stick on the bottom in order to solve that problem (or maybe I should learn a little finesse ).

Take care

Sceptor

Posted By: N. Armstrong Re: Propping Up the Book to 45 degrees - 11/08/01 09:11 PM
Thanks for the input on the book holders. I made my own out of plywood. Works great, not too portable though but I'm not going anywhere. Leave me your address and send you a picture of it.

Posted By: N. Armstrong Re: Propping Up the Book to 45 degrees - 11/08/01 09:13 PM
Thanks for the input of the bookstand. I made one out of plywood. Send me your address and I will send you a picture of it.

Posted By: Don Sceptori Re: Propping Up the Book to 45 degrees - 11/08/01 11:27 PM
Ah, a fellow handyman! I thought we were a dead breed. Makes me want to go and hang out in the neighbourhood hardware store . How I miss my workshop back home.. sigh.

Keep well, and may the flipping begin.

Sceptor

Posted By: Margaret Re: Propping Up the Book to 45 degrees - 11/09/01 12:47 AM
Well, guys, i happen to use a plunger here at work to PhR! The tiles on this raised floor are 40lbs & we use very large plungers. I stick a piece of soft foam in it & it's the best.

quote:
Originally posted by Don Sceptori:
Ah, a fellow handyman! I thought we were a dead breed. Makes me want to go and hang out in the neighbourhood hardware store . How I miss my workshop back home.. sigh.

Keep well, and may the flipping begin.

Sceptor

Posted By: Don Sceptori Re: Propping Up the Book to 45 degrees - 11/09/01 05:05 AM
Wow!! Go Margaret!! And may no-one stand in your way while you wield that plunger...

Take care

Sceptor

Posted By: razordu30 Re: Propping Up the Book to 45 degrees - 11/09/01 05:39 AM
...My method is usually to get a very attractive blond woman to hold my book at a 45 degree angle. There's usually one to spare around me, since they seem to follow me around.............

...note to self: think over schedule of Messageboard, PR dirty magazine, dream play tape. Effect is questionable.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

Posted By: ereader Re: Propping Up the Book to 45 degrees - 02/10/02 07:42 PM
I have been working with the book angle and found that it assists my reading tremendously. I got tired of propping mine up with a Kleenex box and I didn't want to try Margaret's innovative plunger bookstand, so I started looking for stands.

I could not find the specific ones mentioned in this stream of email. I have purchased 3 bookstands each with its own advantages. The first I tried was an inexpensive metal frame-like support structure, costs about $5. Then I went to a plastic one by Fellowes, costs around $15 (both of these I got at my college bookstore. The absolute best I've found so far is called the book gem; it is the most flexible and compact. If anyone is interested you can see more about it at http://www.bookgem.com/. It was $20 plus shipping but well worth it.

Posted By: tracey Re: Propping Up the Book to 45 degrees - 02/10/02 10:10 PM
I never prop my books up becasuse I can't find an effective way of page turning.

I usually just lay them flat and flip. The bookstands I've seen have legs which interfere with the pages, unless I just a pull up on the page and over the leg. *shrug*

Tracey

yes thats what i was thinking when i looked at the book gem and mot other models how do you work it so the page keepers are not in the way... i think i just answered my own question but ifthere is another way tell me so you jst have all the pages resting on it and the page holder just having the book open?

Posted By: ereader Re: Propping Up the Book to 45 degrees - 02/12/02 04:46 AM
The first 2 bookholders I got just allows a section of pages to sit in front of the page holders. I usually don’t tuck them each under the holder after I’ve read each page. This does not bother me if the pages are not light in weight and therefore do not flop forward.

The 3rd stand I tried the book gem has clips in front of the page/book holder that do a good job of holding 20 to 30 pages. If you then want to tuck in that section you have read and take out another group of pages the major page clips are spring loaded gadgets that let you easily set up more pages to read. But maybe propping up the book does not make much of a difference to your reading.

© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement