Posted By: glasseagle mind mapping - 11/27/01 02:59 AM
I do not understand about mind mapping is it just like sub headings and trigger words or does your subconcious mind just tell you i just dont understand some one help me.

Posted By: Margaret Re: mind mapping - 11/27/01 03:41 AM
Try this exercise:

Get a piece of paper, a large piece preferably, turn it sideways.

Draw a circle or any symbol for the word: happiness in the center.

Then start drawing branches off of it as ideas come to mind. Say you draw a line & have food printed on it. Then off of that line you may have steak! Just brain storm for happiness as it means to you.

Then do another exercise w/ yourself in the center. Main branches may be family, friends, work, goals, hobbies, etc.

By doing these exercises, you will get a feel for MMing. W/o having a feel for it, it will be confusing & difficult to learn. One of the best ways to get moving on a MM for anything is to ask yourself questions. What makes me happy? Who makes me happy? When am i happy? What can i add to my life to make me happy? What can i subtract from my life to make me happy? Where can i find personal happiness?

Same goes for studies. Use your trigger words or your interest to ask questions. Major ideas are major branches w/ solid words. The branches off of the major branches just come naturally as you think<<< MMing makes us think about the material & our relationship to it. For anyone who just memorizes everything, MMing will be very confusing. MMing brings us to the level of thinking about the subject & what you want to know about it. By following your interest, you get more quickly into the big picture of it & in this way you get a handle on it quickly.

good luck---seeing forever

quote:
Originally posted by glasseagle:
I do not understand about mind mapping is it just like sub headings and trigger words or does your subconcious mind just tell you i just dont understand some one help me.

Posted By: razordu30 Re: mind mapping - 11/27/01 07:01 AM
I dunno if this helps or not...

Here is a link on a "how-to" for mindmaps: http://www.mind-map.com/mindmap/HOWTO.HTM

Here's a picture of one:

Hope that helps. I highly recommend the Tony Buzan book, if you can get a copy.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

Posted By: JoeJones Re: mind mapping - 11/29/01 03:49 PM
My suggestion is to go to your local book store or Amazon.com and order Tony Buzan's THE MIND MAP BOOK. By far, this is the best book out there for learning how to mind map, and it makes an excellent book to practice photoreading on as well. In fact, I believe that the Photoreading Personal Learning Course would be greatly improved if it included this book.

On Tape 6 I believe of the Personal Learning course, Paul Scheele guides you through a mind mapping exercise with the Photoreading book and the Natural Brilliance book that is quite helpful for people who have no experience with mind mapping.

Mind mapping is one of the most untapped resources and yet it is truly effective.

Posted By: Margaret Re: mind mapping - 11/29/01 11:01 PM
Joe, Nancy Margulies & Joyce Wycoff offer unique information to MMing that is not found in The Mind Map Book. Plus, there is a comic book by Nancy Margulies that is quite an excellent teaching book for learning MMing. That comic book is really better than Tony's book. In fact, unless you have actually compared the Margulies comic book w/ the Buzan book....you really can't say his is the best.

I have all the books; have read them; and for young people wanting to learn MMing...the Margulies comic book is the best by far.

I think Zepher has it or if not them then the DePorter people, but i think it's Zepher.

Posted By: eagerchild Re: mind mapping - 11/30/01 12:34 AM
Whats so good about mindmap anyway. To me, it's just another fancy word for brainstorm that i have already learn in school.

Posted By: Jens Re: mind mapping - 11/30/01 01:53 PM
MindMapping is a multi-purpose tool: It can be used for solitary brainstorming, but most of all it's an alternative notation to conventional writing, paralleling PhotoReading which is an alternative to conventional reading.
For example, I use MindMapping if I have to write the protocol of a meeting. It is faster, so I can participate myself; it is shorter, so I have less paper to carry; it is non-linear, so I can add arguments/points if the discussion jumps forward and backwards through the topics.

I found that MindMaps help me to remember more about topics.
Exmample: Lately, I discovered an old MindMap (pre-PhotoReading) of a book about non-verbal communication. After only a few minutes, my old color code came back to me, and I could remember an astonishing amount of what I read - and I only worked through the first half of the book during one night watch I had. I brought the book back to the library and put the MindMap aside for about three years.
Isn't this great?

Jens

Posted By: Andy030 Re: mind mapping - 11/30/01 03:52 PM
Mind Maps used to be called Book Maps YEARS ago. I have no idea what book I read about them first in but it's a very old idea and I highly doubt anyone can claim to have invented them or have the best book on them.

Margaret, can you tell me the specific title of the MM books you were talking about? I want to get them. Thanks.

The book that mentioned book maps had a huge variety of patterns. The ideas shot out like fireworks and fell down the page like rain.

I forget where I saw it but I saw one that went along a time line and was a huge assortment of pages taped together.

Posted By: JoeJones Re: mind mapping - 11/30/01 04:17 PM
In "Speed Reading the Easy Way" Howard Berg (Mega Speed Reading), offers his take on mind mapping, and he calls it book mapping (tm). Tony Buzan, however, is the recognized authority behind Mind Mapping. It was his research and initiative which gave rise to mind mapping. All leading authorities, including Paul Scheele, recognize that it was Tony Buzan who invented mind mapping.

Margret, good for you. If you've found additional books that you think are helpful regarding mind mapping, then by all means recommend them and read them. As an interesting side note, however, on the edition of J. Wycoff's mind mapping book that I have, the publisher has included an endorcement for the book from...Tony Buzan.

Michael Gelb (How to think like Leonardo Davinci) also has produced some materials on how to make and use mind maps. His could be helpful to any beginner.

Posted By: Andy030 Re: mind mapping - 12/01/01 06:02 AM
The book I'm talking about was written before Tony was even born. It had many ways of note taking and none were really talked about as an AMAZING way to take notes. What's amazing to us is not amazing to a genius.

Actually, a TRUE MIND MAP should have information comming straight from your mind. A book map should only have info from the book. What we're all really doing is Mind/Book Maps, hehe.

And what do we call it when we got purposes in one corner, trigger words along the sides, questions at the bottom, a mind map in the middle and traditional notes on the opposite side of the page? "THE PARCHMENT OF ACTIVATION?"

By the way, There's an article in the PR course that said a girl made up MM's. So all this debate and doubt is Paul's fault, haha!

[This message has been edited by Andy030 (edited November 30, 2001).]

Posted By: Margaret Re: mind mapping - 11/30/01 09:23 PM
Joe,
I did not intend any disregard to Buzan. I have all of his books. I even got them first. I came upon the Nancy Margulies comic book lastly. Until i had found the comic book, i had intended to follow the Buzan book.

I have for a very long time on this forum encouraged people to just go to B&N & enjoy the many MMs in that book. I have never seen a post by anyone saying that it was a terrific book. On another forum, a person purchased that book on my glowing recommendation & then said it was just too confusing to get anything out of it.

The one thing that the Margulies books, there are 2 of them, do is to give all kinds of easy diagrams for drawing. I can't draw

But, after using her two books, i can draw faces and all kinds of things quickly easily and it's just such a confidence building experience that children and adults who are timid about drawing will take to it quickly. I spent hours drawing all kinds of things w/ her help.

Plus the MM in her two books are SOOOOO wonderful and when i compared them to the Buzan MMB, i just had to put it off to the side. The only 2 pages i'm using are: the one page where he shows stagnant MMs and the one where he shows how to break up a very unhappy afternoon.

Andy, the one is Mapping Inner Space and the comic book, i forget the correct title. I'll get it to you Monday.

I treasure the Buzan books.
I value the Wycoff book
I delight in the Margulies book...that back cover has delighted me endlessly...really you can learn MMing from the back cover alone....i'm serious

[This message has been edited by Margaret (edited November 30, 2001).]

Posted By: Margaret Re: mind mapping - 11/30/01 09:24 PM
Joe, i'm surprised that you did not mention my example exercise i told Glasseagle to do.

It was directly out of Buzan's The Mind Map Book!!!!!

Posted By: mgrego2 Re: mind mapping - 11/30/01 10:00 PM

I haven't seen the comic book, but I agree that Mapping Inner Space is a very good book. There is an entire section on graphics that is excellent for those of us with limited drawing capabilities.

I own the Wycoff book and find it very useful. It is more down-to-earth than the Buzan book. It just seems more practical.

I own The Mind Map Book and I think it is a great book. The illustrations are very interesting but they tend toward the complex and aren't as useful as an aid to doing your own mind maps. His procedures are good but just aren't as intuitive as the other books.

I think all are worth owning but for different reasons. Mapping Inner Space for those who want to make their mind maps more creative. Wycoff's book for people who want practical ways to use mind maps. Buzan's book for people who want the Bible on mind mapping.

The cassettes by Michael Gelb are also very good for beginners.

Posted By: JoeJones Re: mind mapping - 12/02/01 03:54 AM
The article that appears in the Photoreading manual mentions is about an girl who received a lot of attention for he rmind mapping uses...however, if you read in the mind map book, Tony Buzan talks about her and includes some of her mind maps. It turns out that she got the idea for using mind maps for her studies from Buzan's book USE BOTH SIDES OF YOUR BRAIN.

Posted By: Andy030 Re: mind mapping - 12/02/01 12:28 PM
Ah, that makes more sense. They didn't mention that in the article.

You know that speedreading book by berg that you mentioned? I PR'd that months ago and forgot all about it then went back and found out he wants you to do bookmaps BEFORE you speed read it and that's the advice I gave to someone (mistake) that helped them get PR to work. He needed a visual frame of reference before he read or all his ideas were out in mental limbo and he couldn't remember or sort out anything. "Highly visual he is" - Yoda.

Weird how I got that idea from a book and didn't even know it.

Posted By: glasseagle Re: mind mapping - 12/04/01 02:59 AM
thanks for your help every one (im just about to get a flame)

© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement