Posted By: putitascelu photofocus step = fake???? - 11/27/01 11:30 PM
I know that photoreading works. After you go thru all of the steps (preparation, preview, photofocus and activation) you'll have kind of a clear picture of what all the book is about.
However, I have many times wondered if photofocus step really gives you anything. Couldn't it be just a fake that is no use? I mean, if you went thru all of the steps of previewing and activation without using the photofocus, wouldn't the results be the same?
Does photofocus really get material into your subconscious mind? Are there any scientific data on this issue?
Could photofocus alone be of any use as Scheele states when he offers you to try synoptic reading?

Please, someone help me.
Thanks.

Posted By: razordu30 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 11/27/01 11:43 PM
I post this a lot...it's a post by SDStudent, a really helpful one:

It was called something like Abstracts (research) on how photoreading might really work.

<<Clinique de Neurologie et de Neuropsychologie, Hopital de la Salpetriere, Paris.

The sudden resurgence of precise information some time after the failure of its recall (memory block) suggests the intervention of unconscious processes. In normal subjects the experimental demonstration of such processes meets with methodological snags. They are avoided in patients with a pure amnesic syndrome because retrograde amnesia produces many instances of missing memories, while anterograde amnesia prevents the patient from consciously thinking about it. Three patients with a pure amnesic syndrome were submitted to 4 interviews over 12 days on 3 topics concerning places and itineraries that were very familiar before the disease, and a shocking event of their life. Retrieved memories were compared to those of normal matched subjects. The results showed a dramatic increase for memories of places and itineraries over sessions, and the absence of improvement of autobiographical memories. These findings underline the role of the activation of unconscious processes in recall and the different status of semantic and episodic memory.

Unconscious learning during anaesthesia.
Anaesthesia. 1993 Mar;48(3):275

Jelicic M, De Roode A, Bovill JG, Bonke B.

Department of Medical Psychology and Psychotherapy, Erasmus University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.

Forty-three surgical patients were, during general anaesthesia, presented (via headphones) with either statements about common facts of some years ago (group A), or new verbal associations, i.e. the names of fictitious, nonfamous people (group B). None had any recall of intra-operative events. In a postoperative test of indirect memory, patients in group A answered more questions about the 'common facts' correctly than those in group B (p < 0.005), which reflects the activation of pre-existing knowledge. Furthermore, patients in group B designated more 'nonfamous names' as famous (thus falsely attributing fame) than patients in group A (p < 0.001), which demonstrates that information-processing during anaesthesia can also take place as unconscious learning.

The effects of conscious and subconscious processing of hostility- or friendliness-related words on the personality impression of others].

: Shinrigaku Kenkyu 1989 Apr;60(1):38-44 [Article in Japanese]

Ikegami T, Kawaguchi J.

Aichi University of Education.

Four experiments were conducted to investigate how the prior processing of trait relevant information influenced upon the impression formation. Twenty university students participated in each experiment. First subjects performed a cognitive task in which they processed hostility (Exp. I, II) or friendliness (Exp. III, IV) related words, consciously (Exp. I, III) or subconsciously (Exp. II, IV). In another ostensibly unrelated task, subjects rated a stimulus person on several trait scales based on an ambiguous behavioral description, regarding to hostility (Exp. I, II) or friendliness (Exp. III, IV). It was shown that the more hostility words subjects processed either consciously or subconsciously, the more extreme and negative ratings they yielded. As for friendliness words, however, such effects were found only when they were subconsciously processed, not when they were consciously processed. It was argued that conscious processing was affected by positiveness or negativeness of trait words, but subconscious processing was not.

Unconscious processing of dichoptically masked words.
Mem Cognit. 1990 Jul;18(4):428-9

Greenwald AG, Klinger MR, Liu TJ.

In three experiments, the subjects' task was to decide whether each of a series of words connoted something good (e.g., fame, comedy, rescue) or bad (stress, detest, malaria). One-half second before the presentation of each such target word, an evaluatively polarized priming word was presented briefly to the nondominant eye and was masked dichoptically by either the rapidly following (Experiment 1) or simultaneous (Experiments 2 and 3) presentation of a random letter-fragment pattern to the dominant eye. (The effectiveness of the masking procedure was demonstrated by the subjects' inability to discriminate the left vs. right position of a test series of words.) In all experiments, significant masked priming effects were obtained; evaluative decisions to congruent masked prime-target combinations (such as a positive masked prime followed by a positive target) were significantly faster than those to incongruent (e.g., negative prime/positive target) or noncongruent (e.g., neutral prime/positive target) combinations. Also, in two of the three experiments, when subjects were at chance accuracy in discriminating word position, their position judgments were nevertheless significantly influenced by the irrelevant semantic content (LEFT vs. RIGHT) of the masked position-varying words. The series of experiments demonstrated that two very different tasks--speeded judgment of evaluative meaning and nonspeeded judgment of word position--yielded statistically significant and replicable influences of the semantic content of apparently undetectable words. Coupled with previous research by others using the lexical decision task, these findings converge in establishing the reliability of the empirical phenomenon of semantic processing of words that are rendered undetectable by dichoptic pattern masking.

Evidence of unconscious semantic processing from a forced error situation.
Br J Psychol 1984 Aug;75 ( Pt 3):305-14

Groeger JA.

A study was carried out to determine whether subjects extracted information from words presented below their recognition and awareness thresholds. A series of target words was used to generate the word matrix, which was a set of 24 words related to the target in specified ways. Following subthreshold exposure of a target word, subjects chose the word they thought had been shown from the word matrix for that particular target. It was held that the alternative chosen was a function of the type of processing the target was receiving. Results showed that structural analysis of the target predominated below recognition threshold, whereas semantic analysis predominated below awareness threshold.>>

Hope this helped.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

Posted By: theerapun Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 11/28/01 02:26 PM
i have same concern with you.. but I've read somewhere that at first it won't be much different without photofocus step... but later it will start to work its magic..

now all i want to know is if the information enter brain under alpha state or not .... the course never talk about this

Posted By: PaulScheele Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 11/29/01 07:24 PM
First: PhotoFocus. It occurred to me when developing the PhotoReading process that the literature on Preconscious Processing (ref. N.F. Dixon) was compelling. The question remained, how do we cause something that is consciously available to enter the brain without conscious interference?

I happened to be toying with Betty Edwards' work "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" when I figured that her "R-Mode" way of seeing for art purposes may well be applied when looking at a book and that might do the trick. It worked perfectly for me...allowing me to enter the R-mode with written materials. My wife made the parallel to the divergent gaze with the "cocktail weenie" effect, so we had a quick way of helping anyone achieve the benefit of entering R-mode at will.

At the time, there was a craze for random-dot stereograms which also made a perfect parallel case for how the brain processes what the conscious mind cannot see when in convergent or hard focus.

The next connection was to the work of the Embudo NLP Center and their Nightwalking course...leading to further long-standing evidence of "second-sight" and processing nonconsciously by shifting one's focal point of attention.

If you trace the same references, the evidence should mount in favor of PhotoFocus for you as well. I tried to describe it in the PhotoReading book. You might re-read that section.

But you might ask yourself if your question is about nonconscious processing of information or about PhotoFocus. Because if the nonconscious acquisition of information is your issue, check out The User Illusion by Tor Norretranders, specifically the chapter called The Bomb of Psychology.

The second point to consider is that the value of entering PhotoFocus is immediately recongizable on an EEG. We use the IBVA (Interactive Brainwave Visual Analyzer) to study the effects of PhotoFocus and PhotoReading. We (LSC PhotoReading instructors) often bring it a long as a demo during our teaching of the course.

Entering PhotoFocus has an immediate effect of creating a brainwave signature characterized by higher amplitude waves in both Low Beta and High Theta simultaneously. Curiously, ALPHA is NOT very active. In fact, it seems remarkably supressed. That makes sense in that our goal is not to connect the conscious and nonconscious during PhotoReading, but to route information directly into the nonconscious. Alpha is known to mediate between the two. We see Alpha show up in activation, and in more elevated amplitudes than with regular reading.

But the MOST exciting thing is to see how quickly the brain signature appears when simply entering PhotoFocus. It is that state of the eyes that seems to create an instantaneous neurological cascade in favor of this new type of information processing.

In summary, not only is PhotoFocus important, it seems to be THE stimulus that triggers everything useful about the PhotoReading whole mind system...a true step into a new paradigm of information processing. Keep testing it for yourself until you are satisfied.

Posted By: ahdy2000 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 11/29/01 11:44 PM
if alpha is the wave that connects the two "minds", can we just use that somehow right from teh getgo? i mean, i know we're supposed to get into alpha state to photofocus..but didnt you just say that photofocus is more theta (and low beta)? so...i'm guessing we're not really getting into alpha state to get into alpha state, but more to relax, etc...so is there a way that we could use the alpha for more than just relaxation purposes and use to directly d/l the info to the brain AND link the info with the conscious at the same time? am i even making any sense?

:\

Posted By: theerapun Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 11/30/01 02:52 PM
Scheele ,

In your photoreading book page 107, " .. This charasteristic "brain signature" appears almost instantaneously upon entering photofocus, suggesting that the ideal brain state for photoreading may be linked more to the state of the eyes than to the physical relaxation of the body..."

Does this mean that we don't have to get into the alpha state because we're instantaneously in it when we enter photofocus eyes (seeing the blip page) ?

Have you ever use IBVA to study the effects of photofocus without entering the state? will the other-than-concious mind be able to read even in the beta state?

Posted By: PaulScheele Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 11/30/01 10:10 PM
Ahdy--
Alpha is fine for relaxing and activating. More alpha helps to lower the predominance of high beta, so it has a net effect of de-potentiating the conscious mind. That's good for using more of the whole mind.

Consciousness follows in sequence after the nonconscious has determined what is important for the conscious mind to know. So you PhotoRead and then become conscious...not simultaneously, but sequentially. That's why you can flip along and suddenly feel a need to stop and back up a page to discover the answer to a question you have been asking. To be conscious of everything during PhotoReading doesn't make sense. The nonconscious processing of information to the eye is 10,000,000 bits/sec. The conscious awareness of what the eye sees is 40 bits/sec.

Don't waste your time. Let you nonconscious guide you. Get conscious afterwards. You can speed up the time between PhotoReading and consciousness, but they are still sequential unless you learn to tap into infinite intelligence, but that's a different paradigm than PhotoReading.

Threeapun--
Correct, you don't have to go into Alpha first. I train people to do so to learn how to de-potentiate the conscious mind.

My first experience with the IBVA was to merely enter PhotoFocus...no 3-2-1. Just a breath in, gentle exhale, and PhotoFocus. The EEG immediately registered the change in state to the characteristic signature created by other PhotoReaders I hook up to the machine. If they enter PhotoFocus and maintain state, they are in the zone. Interestingly, if they break state, they know it and it also shows on the machine.

Posted By: ahdy2000 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 11/30/01 10:59 PM
thanks. tho something you said intrigued...you mentioned tapping into "infinite intellligence"...what is infinite intelligence? how can you tap into it? have you tried/been successful?

...curious, i am. : )

Posted By: putitascelu Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/01/01 02:15 AM
Scheele,

being in the zone might create that characteristic brain pattern and all that, but that is no assurance that photofocus gets data into your subconscious mind. I know for a fact that pre-conscious processing exist. As someone who has been using hemi-sync for quite some time and has a strong belief that OOBEs exist (I can clearly perceive in your book that you may also have these sort of beliefs, or knowns as Robert Monroe would say)I know that subconscious mind exist and that it's far more powerful than our limited conscious left brain. I am also aware that if I am under anesthesia everything I am hearing goes right to my subconscious mind. I'm also aware of the fact that our subconscious mind could be fed from many sources.
So far, I agree with you. However, I am quite skeptic about photofocus getting data into your subconscious. I think that just seeing a "blip" page and seeing with soft gaze is no assurance of data being transfered to your subconscious. How can you know that for a fact? I am quite sure that most of the evidence regarding photoreading success comes from the knowledge acquired during previewing, activation and rapid reading and that photofocus could have nothing to do with all that and be completely useless. How can you prove that photofocus step does really give you anything? If I just use the fotofocus step without previewing with 100 math books and use my university math classes as the only way of activation, will I have achieved anything?
Please, Paul Scheele, help me. I am sure that many many people are asking to themselves similar questions.

Posted By: theerapun Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/01/01 04:52 AM
Scheele ,

As far as i know , the subconcious gets everything. does this mean that it reads everything we see?
if the answer is yes then how photoreading step is different from any other activities if our subconcious always read everything we see?

if the answer is no , what's the switch which order our subconcious mind to read?

In the personal learning course, you said everytime we do photoreading step , we're making new neural associations.so if we photoread a lot of books per day, we will experience some spontaneous activation (Bissonette've mentioned about this countless times) i wonder how can that happen? how can photoreading makes new neural association??

Please help me. I have to know how it works in order to belive it...

Posted By: nikov1 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/01/01 06:25 AM
I'm with you...maybe there are a lot of "gifted" people who does not ask why does PR works, and get the results faster. Either because they beleive in it from the start, or they never questioned it's integrity.
It is not that we (myself, I paid the whole weekend course) do not believe it can work, it's just that there are some things to be clear in order to say "oh, that's WHY!" and then give 1000%!!!!
So, I join....please HELP!

Posted By: Andy030 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/01/01 02:37 PM
If you paid for the weekend course then why don't you call the coaches and get all your questions answered and then post a summary for us here?

I'd like to see a 4th edition of the book that includes answers to tough questions like these ones. Also, explainations as WHY photofucus works (like what Paul posted here) for us scientific people.

Posted By: putitascelu Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/03/01 10:29 PM
please Scheele, answer us, we DO need your help.

Posted By: Dana Hanson Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/03/01 11:16 PM
We simply do not have all of the "whys." We know the system works the way we present it. If you doubt a step in the process, master it the way we suggest, then use the system without that step and notice the results.

Posted By: putitascelu Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/04/01 01:26 PM
That is relative. The results of that step might be boosted by placebo effect.
Besides, I spend about 2 hours a day "photofocusing" math books in an attemp to be successful in my next examinations of algebra and calculus. I just want to be sure I'm not wasting all that time. I know many people who refuse to try Photoreading because they very much doubt photofocus is useful. I think that we are worth some verification.
At least, you could tell us how it was that you, at learning startegies corp., arrived at the conclusion that photofocus introduced data into your other than conscious mind. I have purchased the books "photoreading" plus the other Scheele's book and the photoreading whole mind system course with audio guidance. I am yet expecting to know how Scheele came to the great great realization that photofocus was working.
I want to believe in photofocus, but speak to 100 average persons about photofocus and how it works, then ask them what they believe and 95 out of 100, or more, will tell you they think it's a fake. I am not one of those, I just want more evidence. I think that we purchasers have a right to know.

Posted By: Andy030 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/04/01 05:47 PM
You are asking someone to literally type out page after page of info when they already told you enough to get you going so you can THRU ACTION prove it to yourself which is the only possible step for you since no more explaination will be of any use to you until you do something with it.

If by chance you prove that it does nothing for you, then how did I do it?

I know what you have to do. Read everybook you can find dealing with subliminal perception starting with the ones in the biblo of the PR book. I can't answer your questions because I'm in the middle of doing that right now and as of yet don't know too much. I'll tell you one thing though. All this scientific stuff almost does more harm than good. Some people just can't make heads or tails of WHY a car runs but they're great at racing. Something to think about.

Posted By: razordu30 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/04/01 05:57 PM
Andy's right.

First, there's already been enough science listed above to help you get started; lots of cool subconscious processing proof-type-stuff.

Also, the allusion to the car is good.

Did you know that we really don't know what makes a plane fly?

In the book, "What Einstein told His Barber: More Scientific Answers to Everyday Questions", it mentions that the theory we use to explain why planes fly doesn't really work anymore, and at best we use it as a guide. Here's the excerpt from that page:

Just try the system without photoreading then with. See how it works for you.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com ("Do you be-lieve in [photofocus]?...I can see, some-thing..in-side me say, [NLP] is strong enough, OOooOoh..." -Cher, on her album regarding photofocus and alpha waves...)

[This message has been edited by razordu30 (edited December 04, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by razordu30 (edited December 04, 2001).]

Posted By: putitascelu Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/05/01 01:27 AM
I have no doubt that subconscious works. I just don't understand why soft-focus gets data to your subconscious...
If soft-focus gets data to your subconscious, hard focus should also do it. I just don't see how seeing a "blip" page should be any different from just seeing. If everything you have in front of you goes right to your other-than-conscious mind, I see no use of seeing "blip" pages.
If photofocus really works, photofocus step alone should have great rewards. I mean, they are studying now that it could be almost the same or even better if you don't use preview step. Then, for activation your everyday math classes should do it, supposing you are ussing photofocus to learn maths.

Posted By: theerapun Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/05/01 03:11 AM
Yeah , i totally gree with putitascelu.
i also wonder how using only "photofocus" alone for 10 books per day help us making neural associations. I know it can but i want to know WHY. I'm unable to find an answer and Paul Scheele is my last hope.Unfortunately he doesn't answer maybe even the greatest photoreader doesn't know the answer or he's too busy ...

Photoreading course is absolutely uncomplete. There are so many unclear points that need to be answered. I think learningstrategies should stop making new products and use more time to perfect photoreading course ....

P.S. it's not that i don't belive in photoreading. I belive but i want to know how each step in the system work so that i can do more with the system.

Posted By: allenhm Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/05/01 03:14 AM
OH OH!!!!! A STORM IS BREWING ON THE HORIZON

Posted By: allenhm Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/05/01 03:37 AM
This is gonna be good!!. Pete, Paul, Dana,
Jump in at anytime

Posted By: ahdy2000 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/05/01 07:08 AM
actually, this conversation refers to a previous point somebody made, which is, if your mind remembers everything then reading regularly should also get the info into your other-than-conscious. maybe it does, maybe it doesnt...as i remember tho, i think mr. scheele said something like it's been shown that data goes into your "other" mind when your mind is producing delta waves...your mind produces delta waves in photofocus...

about your question whether you can hard focus or not, etc...just the term hard focusing means you're seeing every single word, which albeit could be faster than normal reading, but nowhere as close as photofocus where you're not looking at a specific word but you're looking at ALL the words on the pages...ALL of them...there's no way you can look at all of them at the same time in hard focus..and you can surely say looking at all of them is much faster than looking at one or few of them...hence, the page a minute thing.....

-ahdy

Posted By: theerapun Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/05/01 08:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ahdy2000:
actually, this conversation refers to a previous point somebody made, which is, if your mind remembers everything then reading regularly should also get the info into your other-than-conscious. maybe it does, maybe it doesnt...as i remember tho, i think mr. scheele said something like it's been shown that data goes into your "other" mind when your mind is producing delta waves...your mind produces delta waves in photofocus...

-ahdy

Yes i can remember reading somewhere in this forum once and i can also remember that no answers were clear.

I very much doubt if unconcious receive info only when delta brainwave is produced. if that's true , why do we dream about something just happen yesterday?? when we dream , we are in the unconcious ,right ???

Posted By: putitascelu Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/05/01 12:55 PM
andy2000,

it's nonsense to think that when we are in photofocus our brain produces delta waves. You could be in photofocus and producing beta, alfa, theta or delta (delta and theta are less likely since delta usually happens only when in 4th stage of sleep and theta when in hypnagogic state of sleep, however you can be in theta and wide awake at the same time ... have you ever practiced meditation? Heck, you could also be in delta and wide awake ... but that has another name ... OOBE ... ).
Well, the point is that just seeing a "blip" page and turning pages while chanting (relax, relax, relax) won't slow down your brainwaves from beta to delta, I am completely sure of that fact. Another matter is that, before "photofocusing" you have to relax, this is some kind of meditation, and it's used to slow down your brainwaves.
In summary, photofocus doesn't slow down your brainwaves. However, in order for photofocus to be useful you have to slow them down, hence the "preparation" step.
Anyway, I very, very, very much doubt anyone can be in delta and turning pages at the same time, simply because of the reason that conscious or not, when in delta you are not able to move ... ever heard about "sleep paralysis"? Well, then that would be "conscious delta", hence the paralysis. I don't wanna go too deep into these topics. If anyone want me to go deeper, say so and I'd be glad to explain it.
Finally, I think that the ideal state would be to go to theta and then photoread in theta state. This is way too difficult, but with practice it becomes possible.

Posted By: razordu30 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/05/01 01:10 PM
I think he meant alpha waves.

I think the answer is probably in the alpha waves.

Soft focus is good because it's good for maintaining alpha waves. Alpha waves are good because it's when your conscious and subconscious mind are better connected.

I just tried it now to be sure...hard focus took me clean out of alpha state. I could get away with a "soft" but not divergent gaze, and was still able to maintain it. But not in hard focus.

Anyway, I don't think we should worry about "how it works" is what I was trying to say before. I mean, they could've fine tuned the whole photoreading program around trial and error, in which case you might not know HOW it works, but know that it DOES work.

Like, let's say a group of Native Americans fall upon a large grove of some plant. Then they notice that whenever they smoke it, they get really messed up and start seeing the gods (more often than not this includes Jerry Garcia). They don't know how it happens, they just know they get hungry and really mellow afterwards. But the plant still works. Sure, later on scientists will smoke it also, and try to figure out how it works, (the cold war is over, we might as well move on to better things, right?), but in the long run, it still just works, and it can still be found in the sock drawers of generations upon generations after the original English settlers.

In sum:
1) Soft focus because it keeps you in alpha.
2) Alpha because it connects the subconscious and conscious.
3) Don't worry how, just know it does.
4) Native Americans worshipped Jerry Garcia.

Hoped this has helped in some way. If yes, cool, if not, s'okay, Jerry and I will talk about you behind your back

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com ("I was gonna clean my room, but then I got...")

PS - If you really wanna test photofocus, try the system without it...seriously, it's your best bet, rather than trying to get LSC to post test results or research on this board.
PPS - Theerapun, what does your name mean? I've been racking my brain trying to figure it out...is it "The ERA pun"?

[This message has been edited by razordu30 (edited December 05, 2001).]

Posted By: Andy030 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/05/01 05:24 PM
Paul said that Photofocus uses high Theta, NOT Delta. Where did you get Delta from? Of course your not going to believe that Photofocus gets you into Delta, I wouldn't either.

He said Alpha isn't even used. Several posts ago we were all arguing about the best way to get into Alpha but it's not necessary. I always knew that after 15 or so minutes of any activity, if you really like doing it, you're going to effortlessly slip into the "flow" (alpha) state. If you hate the activity there's no way to slip into it without meditative techniques. The simple fact that you have to try to do it indicates you'd rather be doing something else. I will slip into an alpha state after playing tennis but not if I play basketball-because I hate doing it, but someone else can.

Posted By: ahdy2000 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/06/01 02:10 AM
heheh..yea, theta...not delta...theta...lo siento

p.s. isnt paralysis in REM?

Posted By: theerapun Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/06/01 07:06 AM
Thanks Ramon.
I'm quite interested in brainwaves , meditation and OOBE. I'll e-mail you soon

I know the best way to test photoreading is try it myself .. ,however the biggest problem is that i'm not a photoreader yet. I'm just a beginner who needs a lot more practice . I don't even know what photoreading can really do for me. maybe u can enlighten me

I'm from Thailand. Theerapun is pronounced 'tee-ra-pan'. It means nothing , it's just a name i'm sorry if my name has taken you some time to figure its meaning

I totally agree with Andy that we're in alpha after doing some activities for 15 mins.

[This message has been edited by theerapun (edited December 06, 2001).]

Posted By: putitascelu Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/07/01 11:22 PM
Mr Scheele,

please , we are still waiting for your reply.

Posted By: theerapun Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/08/01 01:36 AM
Forget it, Paul Scheele won't answer us for sure because there's no scientific proof on this and he doesn't know either. I think we should stop thinking about WHY and start practicing the system faithfully.

Why does it take u so long to PhotoRead Math books? it's taken me only 30 mins a day to photoread 5 books. I'll shorthen this to 20 mins today since i want to sleep more.

Posted By: putitascelu Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/08/01 11:46 AM
theerapun,

when you photoread math books, do you just use photofocus or also use previewing and activation?
There's no way I can use previewing or activation, because, how am I supposed to preview or activate something that I don't understand at all? (You know how messy math language can be).

Posted By: theerapun Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/09/01 03:50 AM
I use only PhotoFocus to build neural association. My purpose is to improve my PR skills not to improve my math skill. I believe it's impossible to understand math with PhotoReading as a beginner. You'd better learn it in an old fashion way. And as i know our unconcious isn't so good at analytical and mathametical job.... maybe photoreading math books doesn't help at all !!!

I'm looking for a new way to study Math and physics too. I'll e-mail you if i have any good information.

P.S. why don't u try ImageStream? i'm doing it daily and it takes only 10 mins !. maybe it'll help us in creative and analytical thinking.

Posted By: SApolice Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/11/01 10:38 PM
Yes I would like also to know if skipping the
photofocus step would still give one the full comprehension........Seems MM is the most valuable step and Ive done basically that with study techniques, ie; mind probing questions etc. I know experimentation is the best method to reach a conclusion on this, but has this been already achieved?

Wayne

Posted By: razordu30 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/12/01 12:16 AM
I experimented with it, and without PRing it I was completely lost. I did my best, too. At first, I thought I had it, then my retention of the material I was "skimming" slowly dissipated, and I realized that without PRing, for me at least, the process was completely useless.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

Posted By: Andy030 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 12/12/01 03:45 PM
Yes, do it yourself and see.

Posted By: demon386 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 09/07/05 04:46 AM
I think the effect of blip is two:
1.Absording all the information in you sight
2.Letting your subconscious works best

[This message has been edited by demon386 (edited September 06, 2005).]

Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 09/07/05 08:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by demon386:
I think the effect of blip is two:
1.Absording all the information in you sight

You do that anyway.

quote:
2.Letting your subconscious works best

It does anyway.

The blip is an indicator that you are using your peripheral vision, rather than foveal vision. Because the mind processes information taken in by the peripheral non consciously and the information taken in by the foveal vision consciously. As it relates to normal reading. This is not a perfect explaination and definately not a scientific esplaination. It's based on observation. There is much more going on. But it serves like learning the sequence of steps to dance a waltz.

Alex

Posted By: Dosetsu Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 09/07/05 08:06 PM
I've seen photofocus (under different names) taught in martial arts as a method to enhance awareness and speed up reflexes as well as in a book by Tom Brown, a survival instructor, who teaches it for enhancing awareness in nature observation and tracking.

Posted By: pasharabbit Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 09/21/05 01:06 AM
I tried doing it without the photoreading step and it is a lot harder. I think it's the difference between driving somewhere you've been to before and driving to a totally new destination using a new route. With PR you get that gee I been here before feeling and can move swiftly through a text. Taking in whole pages in a glance, without it forget it. I don't understand people's resistance to the pr step it takes a few minutes to perform. The key is to stay aware of internal ques to what to read.

As for asking a 100 people, why bother, in my experience 95 out of a 100 people resist any change. The ones to talk to are the ones that say that's interesting tell me more... Remember the mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. Copernicus and Darwin were majorities of one. Be part of that majority.

Posted By: Carl Reimann Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 09/21/05 04:26 AM
Do the mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation? I have always doubted that.

Posted By: sam988 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 07/12/07 06:23 PM
Sorry for upping such an old topic, but i found it extremely interesting...

On this topic, there hasnt been anyone explaining it scientifically as putitascelu asked, probably because no one knew it.

Not after 6 years, does anyone know how the photofocus step works? Particularly, i would still want to know the asnwer to the questions the user putitascelu has here:

"Scheele,
being in the zone might create that characteristic brain pattern and all that, but that is no assurance that photofocus gets data into your subconscious mind. I know for a fact that pre-conscious processing exist. As someone who has been using hemi-sync for quite some time and has a strong belief that OOBEs exist (I can clearly perceive in your book that you may also have these sort of beliefs, or knowns as Robert Monroe would say)I know that subconscious mind exist and that it's far more powerful than our limited conscious left brain. I am also aware that if I am under anesthesia everything I am hearing goes right to my subconscious mind. I'm also aware of the fact that our subconscious mind could be fed from many sources.
So far, I agree with you. However, I am quite skeptic about photofocus getting data into your subconscious. I think that just seeing a "blip" page and seeing with soft gaze is no assurance of data being transfered to your subconscious. How can you know that for a fact? I am quite sure that most of the evidence regarding photoreading success comes from the knowledge acquired during previewing, activation and rapid reading and that photofocus could have nothing to do with all that and be completely useless. How can you prove that photofocus step does really give you anything? If I just use the fotofocus step without previewing with 100 math books and use my university math classes as the only way of activation, will I have achieved anything?
Please, Paul Scheele, help me. I am sure that many many people are asking to themselves similar questions."

Posted By: flamerozzy Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 07/13/07 02:00 AM
in this post i see an interesting part that Paul Scheele said to us:

"Don't waste your time. Let you nonconscious guide you. Get conscious afterwards. You can speed up the time between PhotoReading and consciousness, but they are still sequential unless you learn to tap into infinite intelligence, but that's a different paradigm than PhotoReading."

Could explain more of this?
thanks.
ozzy

Posted By: sam988 Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 07/13/07 03:14 AM
Quote:

Sorry for upping such an old topic, but i found it extremely interesting...

On this topic, there hasnt been anyone explaining it scientifically as putitascelu asked, probably because no one knew it.

Not after 6 years, does anyone know how the photofocus step works? Particularly, i would still want to know the asnwer to the questions the user putitascelu has here:

"Scheele,
Please, Paul Scheele, help me. I am sure that many many people are asking to themselves similar questions."

Could someone explain that please? Maybe it will make it easier for me to understand how the PhotoFocus works.

Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 07/25/07 04:07 PM
Quote:

in this post i see an interesting part that Paul Scheele said to us:

"Don't waste your time. Let you nonconscious guide you. Get conscious afterwards. You can speed up the time between PhotoReading and consciousness, but they are still sequential unless you learn to tap into infinite intelligence, but that's a different paradigm than PhotoReading."

Could explain more of this?
thanks.
ozzy

Paul was referring to the topic that relates to interconnectedness. the universal mind and the like. It's where the intuition guides you to the book you can put your hand over it and get a sense of this is the right book for me right now.

As Paul said it's a whole different paradigm.

Alex

Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: photofocus step = fake???? - 07/25/07 04:48 PM
Sam988 the research into the working of the eyes is fascinating and still ongoing as is research into the brain. What we thought we knew is only the tip of the iceberg and the discoveries being make are showing us that we are capable of much more. Some skills like PhotoReading are lets do it and see what happens and the proof that yeah it does work that way we can see it in the brain, comes later.

I think if you watch the DVD What the Bleep do We Know you'll learn there is a lot going on in our mind.

As Paul attempted to explain and they probably did a better job in down the Rabbit Hole, the eyes do not see it's the mind that sees.. The eyes are like camera's taking it all in and it's the mind that process the information. We have an agreement that what we focus on with the fovea is what the mind we are conscious of. Everything picked up by the eyes goes into the peripheral awareness. What we use primary focus on is our primary awareness and in our primary consciousness.

Alex

© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement