Posted By: Ragnar1211 Entering the Accelerated Learning State - 03/07/02 09:12 PM
I have had the Photoreading home learning course for about two weeks and I am to say the least completely impressed.

The methods and techniques for approaching reading are far superior than anything I have ever seen before. But I do have one problem with the system.

My religious beleifs prevent me from "emptying my mind" and "self hypnosis". Therefore I am wondering if there is a way to enter the accelerated learning state without going through the methods Paul Scheele uses in the course.

Any responses are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

just pray for relaxation

What religion is against self hypnosis? I'm not trying to be oppositional, I'm genuinely curious. Does your religion outrightly say it's against it, or is it opinion?

The reason I ask is because self-hypnosis is really just NLP, and NLP is all over the place I find it hard to fathom that a religion is just against it.

Posted By: allenhm Re: Entering the Accelerated Learning State - 03/07/02 09:31 PM
Ragnar1211

There is another way. Go to this site, www.relaxationco.com and order the Alpha Relaxation System CD. Seeing that you do not own the Holosync CD's from Centerpointe which includes "Quietude", the previous mentioned CD's are and excellent substitution.

quote:
Originally posted by anonymousman:
What religion is against self hypnosis? I'm not trying to be oppositional, I'm genuinely curious. Does your religion outrightly say it's against it, or is it opinion?

The reason I ask is because self-hypnosis is really just NLP, and NLP is all over the place I find it hard to fathom that a religion is just against it.

-----

My beleifs are based on the Bible. If you read Ephesians Chapter 4 you will find that it recomends us not to allow a place for Satan.

Even though I trust the Learning Stategies Corporation, and their motives, I will not participate in NLP or self hypnosis.

Posted By: allenhm Re: Entering the Accelerated Learning State - 03/07/02 10:12 PM
Ragnar:

Do you listen to music? If so, you will notice that certain sounds resonate at different frequencies and thus have certain effects on our brainwaves. This has nothing to do with satan, Just pure science. Checkout the site I suggested.

I'm sorry, Ragnar, I disagree.

While Ephesians may argue against a place for Satan, as does the rest of the Bible, to say that NLP, Neurosemantics, or Self-hypnosis is the work of Satan is pure speculation.

It's a speculation that many would disagree with. On this forum alone, there have been many Christian PRers (of which I am one) and no one has ever had a problem with self-hypnosis or NLP.

I've contacted an ordained minister and my parish's priest, and neither agreed that hypnosis is satanic or that NLP is such, either.

Below are some threads containing Christian PRers:
http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000549.html
http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000997.html
http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum8/HTML/001689.html

Im a christian, I believe this would actually be approved of by God.

While this whole relaxation Self-Hypnosis gig may seem freaky and satanic, its just a way to improve your mind. I think that is what God wants us to do. Why would he let us have consious thought and curiosity if we werent allowed to use it. Lots of people do Yoga and stuff like that (I dont believe the whole Quigong thing is good tho), Iv had a program at my church teach yoga, its just about relaxing and getting in touch with yourself. This is the same.

If you decide not to do this, you are really being shortsighted and closeminded. Many of us have studied the Bible using this method.

quote:
I'm sorry, Ragnar, I disagree.

While Ephesians may argue against a place for Satan, as does the rest of the Bible, to say that NLP, Neurosemantics, or Self-hypnosis is the work of Satan is pure speculation.

It's a speculation that many would disagree with. On this forum alone, there have been many Christian PRers (of which I am one) and no one has ever had a problem with self-hypnosis or NLP.

I've contacted an ordained minister and my parish's priest, and neither agreed that hypnosis is satanic or that NLP is such, either.

Below are some threads containing Christian PRers:
http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000549.html
http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum8/HTML/000997.html
http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum8/HTML/001689.html

-----

I did not say that Self Hypnosis was Satanic or NLP, however you must admit that emptying your mind is leaving an opeing to be filled.

The MAIN reason I posted this topic was to find alternative ways, not to enter into a theological discussion.

That being said I do however know that we must use the Bible as a whole to make decisions in life. I am not condeming anybody, but I am going to find an alternative way to obtain the accerlative learning state.

I know Photo Reading works and I have already experienced minor spontanious activation moments.

I'm Christian. I'm 13. I PhotoRead, and I enter the a.l.s. It's okay. . .what are you afraid of?

That's just semantics. If the words were "free your mind", "relax your mind", or "don't think about anything," there wouldn't be a problem. That's all Scheele is saying.

<<The MAIN reason I posted this topic was to find alternative ways, not to enter into a theological discussion.>>

The reason it went this way is because I'm saying there's no reason for an alternative, since the one that's there is perfectly fine. It's like you're asking where the nearest bank is because you need change for a dollar, when there's a change machine right next to you. I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with the change machine.

Theological discussions tend to get very sticky and tense, I know, and my only point was that by using the suggested strategy for going into the accelerated learning state does not go against your religion.

I also know, however, that theology is a very powerful subject to most people, and getting a person to change their mind using logic is impossible. That's half the point: you have faith despite what others say, no matter what.

That's why I'll just suggest another method for you. I'll credit this to (I hope I remember this time) allenhm, who mentioned it a while back.

Look upwards gently toward the ceiling with just your eyes...then slowly close them, while keeping your eyes aimed at the same spot. Do this for about 10 seconds, and you'll feel the state of your brain switch, provided you are relaxed and breathing normally.

I hope our theological discussion and disagreement on it does not impair any future correspondence we may have. Welcome to the board, and congratulations on purchasing the Photoreading System. It will serve you tremendously.

Thanks for all of your comments, I think I have a good foundation of methods to use now.

No hard feelings taken.

[This message has been edited by Ragnar1211 (edited March 07, 2002).]

Posted By: allenhm Re: Entering the Accelerated Learning State - 03/08/02 12:59 AM
anonymousman:

WELL DONE!!!!!!!

Thanks, allen...although you probably know who I really am now

Don't tell anyone =)

Ragnar1211

what alternative have you found to use??

oh yeah will listening to instrumental classical help me in relaxation?
praying? won't that actually interfere since your mind is active while you pray?

quote:
Originally posted by 1Died4ALL:
Ragnar1211

what alternative have you found to use??

-----

Based on the P/R course and the comments mentioned above I think I understand how to enter the accelerative learning state without conflicting with my beleifs.

In retrospect the most important thing about reading is our focus. If our mind is overly active it cannot be focused. That is why all of the self hypnotic and NLP methods try to help you to change your focus.

In changing our focus our mind calms, is less sporatic, ready to learn.

I realize that we are constantly bombarded with distractions every day, I guess the challenge is to find that one thing to focus on and channel our efforts.

Posted By: mbafb Re: Entering the Accelerated Learning State - 03/12/02 11:47 PM
The bible says that we are to meditate twice a day.

I serious question any religions or the like that will deny that the Kingdom of God is within you and the tool for that is meditation. Hypnosis is just a lighter form.

Daydreaming is very similiar also. That would me that I go to H*LL everytime I day dream.

Let's

Prove to me from the bible that the kingdom of God is inside of us.

In fact explain to me what the kingdom of God is.

not to be cynical, but where does the bible say to meditate twice a day? (Not the books of Mormon please)

Posted By: Triborg Re: Entering the Accelerated Learning State - 03/13/02 01:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ragnar1211:
Prove to me from the bible that the kingdom of God is inside of us.

In fact explain to me what the kingdom of God is.

This good news of the kindgom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations. Matt 24:14

quote:
Originally posted by Triborg:
This good news of the kindgom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations. Matt 24:14

I know that... but that is not answering my question about the kingdom of God being inside my heart....

I think Jesus is refering to something more literal.

Mat 6:33 " Keep seeking first the Kingdom and all other things will be added to you"

There is a more important issue here that millions around the world miss out on just because their minister, or parents told them so.

So before you attack my stand on self hypnosis you should first try to understand what the bible is really saying, rather than just saying what you think is right.

There is a huge difference between thinking something is right and knowing it is. Knowledge is the key to everlasting life.

Posted By: dc21 Re: Entering the Accelerated Learning State - 03/13/02 02:56 PM
Luke 17:21 states that the kingdom of God is within you. King James Version

Anyone who wants to discuss what the kingdom of God is can email me, I would be happy to offer my humble opinion(s).

Josh 1:8 thou shalt meditate (on the book of the law) day & night. This was God's command to Joshua.

I must add that I do not interpret this as meaning we are to meditate twice a day.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dc21:
[B]Luke 17:21 states that the kingdom of God is within you. King James Version

Quoting from a bible translation that has over 20,000 known errors is very brave.

Using that quote, prove to me that The statement you made is in harmony with the theme of the entire bible. If you can prove that it must be true, otherwise look deeper.

What the hell are you guys talking about? Seriously...

Posted By: jonah Re: Entering the Accelerated Learning State - 03/13/02 04:28 PM
quote:

Quoting from a bible translation that has over 20,000 known errors is very brave.

Using that quote, prove to me that The statement you made is in harmony with the theme of the entire bible. If you can prove that it must be true, otherwise look deeper.

Ragnar1211:

While it is true that the KJV has some errors--all translations do. The only way to know what the Bible truly means--in my opinion--is to go to the original Hebrew and Greek scriptures and also do topic studies.
God Bless,
Jonah

[This message has been edited by jonah (edited March 13, 2002).]

Posted By: Godchild Re: Entering the Accelerated Learning State - 03/13/02 07:41 PM
Luke 17:21

Young's Literal Translation:

nor shall they say, Lo, here; or lo, there; for lo, the reign of God is within you.

The Greek word used there is Entos, which translates to "within"...It comes from the greek work En Which simply translates to "in".

Christ did say those things to relate to His disciples that the Kingdom of God is in the heart of all who believe, not to be minimized or categorized into a nation with physical borders, because it is too big.
The Church (ie-all who are in Christ) is the Kingdom of God on this earth. That is what Christ is saying.

At any rate, I have many things to say on the subject of Faith and Photoreading. At the end of all my studies in the system, as well as the Word of God, I find nothing contradictory in a Christian utilizing all the tools of the system to attain a level of excellence not experienced before. After all, it is the mind He created us with. I think he wants us to use it to its full potential.

PEACE

Posted By: Triborg Re: Entering the Accelerated Learning State - 03/13/02 08:06 PM
quote:

I know that... but that is not answering my question about the kingdom of God being inside my heart....

I think Jesus is refering to something more literal.

Mat 6:33 " Keep seeking first the Kingdom and all other things will be added to you"

There is a more important issue here that millions around the world miss out on just because their minister, or parents told them so.

So before you attack my stand on self hypnosis you should first try to understand what the bible is really saying, rather than just saying what you think is right.

There is a huge difference between thinking something is right and knowing it is. Knowledge is the key to everlasting life.

John 17:3

I think you know where I'm coming from with my reply...we may know each other Ragnar. Feel free to email me.

Posted By: Triborg Re: Entering the Accelerated Learning State - 03/15/02 02:49 AM
majwru?

yes

Posted By: Triborg Re: Entering the Accelerated Learning State - 03/16/02 01:16 AM
quote:
yes

I am originally from Fairview in St Kitts.

gmnutt@hotmail.com

There are plenty of verses that suggest that photoreading isn't Satanic...

1 Corinthians 6:12 "Everything is permissable for me, but not everything is beneficial." ->Is photoreading beneficial to you? Would God be pleased if you photoread the Bible?

1 Cor 10:26 "For the earth is the Lord's and everything in it." ->God created your mind and subconscious mind both, use them BOTH to glorify Him.

1 Cor 10:31 "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all to the glory of God." -> So long as in whatever you do you glorify God it doesn't matter so much what you do. Are you intentionally relaxing your mind to give Satan a threshold? Or to learn more and be a knowledgable Christian?

Romans 13:10 "Love does no harm to it's neighbor, therefore love is the fulfillment of the law." -> Is photoreading a hateful thing to do?

John 3:18 (Jesus speaking) "Whoever believes in Him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son." -> If you believe in Christ Jesus, then you are good already. That doesn't mean you should go become a Satanist, but since you are saved, try to glorify Him through whatever you do now. When you photoread, photoread commentaries and stuff so that you are more knowledgable about what God's Word says.

Posted By: RUebel Re: Entering the Accelerated Learning State - 05/15/02 01:10 PM
Hey guys, the key to any understanding of any subject in any country is to use your intellect, your mind, your brain. (Thus the use of "understanding") PhotoReading, if it asks you to empty your brain faulters at that point. You can't and won't do anything well with any lasting power without the active use of that faculty.

Ragnar, I am a Christian, in love with The Creator and His Son Jesus Christ. I enter the relaxed state by coming close (Alpha brain waves) to sleep (delta). I try to get sleepy. Thankfully, sleep and the path to sleep are godly and wonderfully filled with the exercises of the mind(no emptying here). PhotoReading can work without Tibetan antics. Have you ever been reading the scripture at night on the couch and slowly fade, and tons and tons of scripture reference relationships come to you. (So much so that you want to jump back up(beta) and write them all down so you can teach it in Sunday School? I have. I usually can't remember everything though by the time I get a pen.The extreme activity of the intellect during that time is a gift from God (the God of the Bible). The best way to be a good steward of that gift is to read the book of the one giving that gift... right before you retire for the night. The things you had read will be yours. Email me, we'll talk more, I have been thinking about the same things... (PhotoReading and Christ Jesus)
r@cincybible.edu
RUebel

For all of you who think Photoreading may or may not be Satanic...Ok, so here's how I was convinced that PRing works...for a few days I was really into the tapes...it was over vacation...so I'd do one, two a day...

about that time I was tempted to believe that your brain is powerful and doesn't need God, etc....pretty much came out of nowhere, or out of the PR stuff itself, the "eastern philosophy" stuff...

then, I think it was a few nights in a row, I could not fend off such temptation in my dreams, and so I had to revert to full conciousness, heart racing, etc, and cry out to God for help....

so yes, if you're not careful, the devil can, and will, try to attack through your subconcious...

so I PR'ed one of the gospels the next evening, and lets just say I didn't have that problem anymore....

The Bible says that we should write the Word of God on our minds and in our hearts...PRing is a good way to do that, and then our subconcious will meditate on it night and day, to the glory of God.....

Wow.
Some of you guys... I'm pinching myself...
I had trouble sorting out whether you guys were just having fun with your **** poor jokes, but... I'm really starting to think at least some of you were serious. PhotoReading satanic? Did you REALLY discuss whether Paul Scheele's system for learning was satanic, or that at least parts of it were? Are you for real?
I'm amazed. Saddened, actually.
Get your act together, guys.

I go on a month hiatus and I come back to see this thread...hmn.. =(

Guys...I said it before, and I'll say it again: look through all the nonsense and and look at what this person said.

He said his speedreading program was satanic.

Do we really have to discuss this? Really? Come on, now.

-Ramon http://razor.ramon.com

Well, i might quit my use of The Sedona Method all together. See, what happens when you use the method is you release feeling, in a remarkably effective way. You really open up inside. And when you open up, what happens?

You allow a place for Satan!

No more Sedona for me.

Next weeks topic: Do lollies come from space?

Uncle Tom tells me that men don't cry. If a man cries, the tears that leave his eyes leave a space in his sinuses -- a space that only SATAN can enter.

Posted By: Hel Re: Entering the Accelerated Learning State - 05/21/02 08:33 PM
Well, if you want to talk about space. We consist mainly of space. At the atomic level, probably about 99%. WE ARE SPACE. Are we all scared now. (Those who don't already have anxiety-free order it now!)

Okay, I've held myself back from this topic long enough.

Listen to Ramon. Speed reading course=satanic.

This is a forum for PRing, not for theological discussions that only go in circles.

quote:

The reason it went this way is because I'm saying there's no reason for an alternative, since the one that's there is perfectly fine. It's like you're asking where the nearest bank is because you need change for a dollar, when there's a change machine right next to you. I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with the change machine.

Theological discussions tend to get very sticky and tense, I know, and my only point was that by using the suggested strategy for going into the accelerated learning state does not go against your religion.

I also know, however, that theology is a very powerful subject to most people, and getting a person to change their mind using logic is impossible. That's half the point: you have faith despite what others say, no matter what.

The Bible talks about meditation. But the Bible's concept of meditation is not to blank out your mind but to consentrate on something. (Psalm 1:2; Joshua 1:8)

Psalm 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate (Hebrew is hagah meaning to ponder or contemplate) day and night.

1Timothy 4:15 Meditate (Greek is meletao, revolve in the mind, imagine)upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all.

It is your opinion that the methods described in this course do not go against this person's religion. But that is "your" opinion. And "your" logic may not be logical to a person who is trying to follow the teachings of the Bible. The Bible most certainly does speak out against being in a state of unawareness and there are numerous warnings about adopting pagan practices. (Deut. 18:10,11; 1 Peter 4:7; 1 Peter 5:8; 1 John 2:15,16)

1Peter 5:8 Be sober,(The Greek is nepho meaning to stay aware) be vigilant; (The Greek is gregoreuo meaning to stay alert, guard your mind) because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Therefore if you are not sober and vigilant the devil will have a chance to get at you. So if for him, the teachings of this course violate his beliefs then it is his right to be concerned. As for me, when the course arrives, I will make my own determination.

quote:

Who told you that the KJV has 20,000 known errors? That statement itself is grossly inaccurate.

This thread will haunt me until the day I die. Maybe it IS satanic.

Guys, with the quarrel between Giancarlo and I in close second, this is by far the thread I hate the most. I just hate it. Someone said his speedreading program is satanic, and we're actually debating this question. It makes me cry. It really does.

Anyway, I really hate discussing religion (especially online) because it turns into a flame war. So in reply to the last post I will take a semi-neutral stance.

Here is a link that contains what many secular people believe are many bible inconsistencies: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Of course, I said a neutral standpoint, so here's a link to a guy who has attempted to rebuke many of the charges. He outright rebukes a lot of them, actually, pretty darn well. http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7273/biblicalcontradictions.html

I leave that up for debate on a theological discussion board. I, however, would like to let this "satanic speedreading program" thread die.

Satan begone!
=)

quote:
It is your opinion that the methods described in this course do not go against this person's religion. But that is "your" opinion.

It stopped becoming simply an "opinion" and became an argument when I introduced the logic. The debate up to the point I hightailed out of there was as follows:

Ragnar: I need an alternative method for reaching the Accelerated Learning State. The current method is against my religion.

Me: What religion is this? Since the ALS is really self-hypnosis which is really NLP, and NLP is everywhere and in everything (including daily conversations) I find it hard to believe this?

Ragnar: It says not to leave a space for Satan.

Me: You have to argue first that ALS is Satanic, which MANY people would disagree with. (I note this for timeline reasons, though it should be stated I misinterpreted what he said)

Ragnar: It's not the ALS, but the "emptying of the mind" I am concerned with; if you empty your mind, you leave a space for Satan.

Me: That's semantics; if Scheele said "relax your mind" or simply "relax" the "space" issue is no longer an issue.

This is where I left the debate. As far as I browsed, the thread digressed quickly and became whether or not the Kingdom of God is inside us, and then whether or not the KJV of the bible is right. But the original debate, whether or not ALS is Satanic was I think reasonably closed at that point.

I didn't list it there because it didn't seem of importance (since all he really wanted was an alternative and I gave him one anyway - the eye one) but the other way out is if he said, "While it may be semantics, the case remains that on MY tape it tells me to 'empty my mind', a command I refuse to follow." It was a loophole in the argument, but again, I abandoned it because I gave him an alternative he was looking for.

"And "your" logic may not be logical to a person who is trying to follow the teachings of the Bible."

There's no such thing as "your" logic or "my" logic. It's just logic. Logic is argumentation expressed in algeabraic form. The only difference between sides is the acceptance of various premises. I wasn't arguing whether or not he should follow the Bible, I was saying that his reasons for not entering the ALS were not against HIS OWN interpretation of the bible.

With the argument you now suggest, that the bible speaks out against states of unawareness and that it speaks against pagan practices, there is a COMPLETELY different debate than Ragnar's, which was the space issue.

If he had stated he had problems with states of unawareness or with pagan practices, as you contend now, I would have addressed it differently:

1) Prove to me that the ALS is one of unawareness. It is one of being relaxed, but it is specifically requested not to be sleepy. You are alert. The point of it is to become more focused, if anything.
2) Prove to me that ALS is a pagan practice (I ask not to venture on the second point, because I can tell already how far it will digress).

There's the premises - the logic is universal, the premises aren't; the opinion part comes in on whether or not we agree with point 1 or on point 2. That's why you can say, "If the sky was purple, and a mirror reflects images, then if I look at a sky in the mirror, it would be purple." There's a universal logic. The disagreement is whether or not the sky is purple, which of course, it isn't. But it isn't "my" logic or "yours", it's just a disagreement on premises.

Again, though, I must reiterate; when Ragnar and I were in discussion, his problem was about SPACE, not an unaware state. It was a different argument altogether.

"The Bible talks about meditation. But the Bible's concept of meditation is not to blank out your mind but to consentrate on something. (Psalm 1:2; Joshua 1:8)"

You'll see this part for yourself when the course arrives. Scheele mentions various different images and thoughts for you to concentrate on, like your favorite place or the sensation of breathing out; your mind isn't blank, it IS concentrating.

That was a long post and I understand it isn't very entertaining. I do hope I have explained myself adaquately, however.

quote:
Originally posted by razordu30:
This thread will haunt me until the day I die. Maybe it IS satanic.

Guys, with the quarrel between Giancarlo and I in close second, this is by far the thread I hate the most. I just hate it. Someone said his speedreading program is satanic, and we're actually debating this question. It makes me cry. It really does.

Anyway, I really hate discussing religion (especially online) because it turns into a flame war. So in reply to the last post I will take a semi-neutral stance.

Here is a link that contains what many secular people believe are many bible inconsistencies: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Of course, I said a neutral standpoint, so here's a link to a guy who has attempted to rebuke many of the charges. He outright rebukes a lot of them, actually, pretty darn well. http://www.geocities.com/Athens/7273/biblicalcontradictions.html

I leave that up for debate on a theological discussion board. I, however, would like to let this "satanic speedreading program" thread die.

Satan begone!
=)

Here is an e-mail that I sent to a friend. It contains much better sites which discuss so called Bible contradictions.

Hi,
How are you? I pray that all is well.
During your internet browsing you will probably come across sites that claim that the Bible is full of contradictions. Here are a few Christian sites that discuss/debate such issues. They are good sites to bookmark.

1. http://www.datarat.net/DR/S-M-Contra.html
2. http://www.answeringtheatheist.faithweb.com/
3. http://www.gospelcom.net/apologeticsindex/b08.html
4. http://www.cdu.jesusanswers.com/custom.html
5. http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/KingDavid10/Contradictions/Home.html
6. http://thebereans.net/contra-reckon.shtml

Please remember that we as Christians are not called to know everything. There will be questions that we cannot answer. But it is good to know a few things about some of the objections that we will face.
Some suggest that we should ignore such objections. They state that the Bible still has power even if the person that you are witnessing to does not believe in it. Ray Comfort calls this bypassing the intellect. But this is up to you to decide.
What gives sceptics problems with the Bible are not these so called contradictions. The Bible's proclaimation of their state of spiritual death and of their sin is what they despise. Therefore every apologetic "debate" should be brought back to the person of Jesus and to the gospel.

A few examples of common objections:

Do hares chew the cud? (A major muslim argument against the Bible.) http://www.bible-way.net/publications/hares.htm http://www.comereason.org/bibl_cntr/con055.asp

Lev 11:6 And the hare, because he cheweth the cud, but divideth not the hoof; he is unclean unto you.

"Lockley goes on to explain that rabbits chew their cuds differently than cows, goats or sheep, which regurgitate their food and rechew it. The rabbit, instead, eats its own excrement (faecal pellets), and thus redigests them. Usually this occurs during the daytime underground as the rabbit is resting."

Insects do not have four legs. ( An argument used by evolutionists.) http://www.inerrancy.org/lev.htm (Focuses on Leviticus.)

Lev 11:20 All fowls that creep, going upon all four, shall be an abomination unto you.
21 Yet these may ye eat of every flying creeping thing that goeth upon all four, which have legs above their feet, to leap withal upon the earth;

Q: In Lev 11:20-21, is it wrong to say there are four-footed insects (an atheist asked this)?
A: The Hebrew idiom, "on fours" means it does not walk upright. Thus a dog with a leg cut off still goes "on fours." The Hebrews apparently did not have the word parallel. Come to think of it, even in English or Chinese, how would you briefly explain to someone how four-, six-, and many-legged animals all walk in common without using the word parallel?
Even if you do not accept this answer and want to be hyper-literal about this, arithmetic says that any insect that has six legs has four legs, since six is greater than four. Thus any animal that walks on six legs is walking on at least four legs.
http://thebereans.net/contra-r24.shtml

How old was Jehoiachin when he became king of Jerusalem? (a) Eighteen (2 Kings 24:8). (b) Eight (2 Chronicles 36:9). How long did he rule over Jerusalem? (a) Three months (2 Kings 24:8). (b) Three months and ten days (2 Chronicles 36:9).

Answer. Those who read and understand how the kings of Judah and the kings of Israel deal with their royal family affairs (like in the line of successions) are aware that joint reigns are common to ensure seamless transitions especially when the king has more than one wife. Thus Jehoiachin was only eight years of age when he was made regent under the supervision of his mother (2 Kings 24:12; Jeremiah 13:11) for his father was already taken captive in Babylon. Then It was only at the 18th year when he reigned alone. As for how long the Jehoiachin reigned both passage are true: Jehoiachin reigned for three months and ten days (or as 2 Kings 24:8 put it in round figure: three months).

When David defeated the King of Zobah, how many horsemen did he capture? (a) One thousand and seven hundred (2 Samuel 8:4). (b) Seven thousand (1 Chronicles 18:4).

"2 Samuel therefore speaks of 700 companies, 10 horsemen per company while 2 Chronicles speaks of the actual number of the horsemen. This is a usual occurrence in the Old Testament when dealing with numbers. "

Where was Jesus at the sixth hour on the day of the crucifixion? (a) On the cross (Mark 15:23). (b) In Pilate’s court (John 19:14).

Answer. Mark and John used different methods of recording time. Mark (along with Matthew and Luke) used the Hebrew System while John used the Roman System. This is only natural since John wrote the gospel around AD90 in the Ephesus, the capital of the Roman Province of Asia. The Hebrew reckoning divides the daytime into four groups of three hours (a day starts at the evening, cf. Genesis 1:5). The same division used during night. So when it says third hour, it means ¼ of the day has passed, i.e., 3 hours have passed since sunrise. While the Roman system, starts and ends at midnight just like our modern reckoning system (1/24). Now, to answer the question, where was Jesus at the sixth hour on the day of the crucifixion? He was, using the Roman reckoning of time, at Gabbatha (John 19:13). But using the Hebrew method of reckoning time, he was at the crucifixion. (Mark 15:25)

KJV Defense:
1. http://www.pa-wordoffaith.org/apol.html

Yours In Christ,
Mark

© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement