Posted By: adrian Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/07/02 11:23 PM
I just started a BSc degree course in Information Technology and I am having some difficulty grasping certain concepts.

How can I use photo reading to help me in this matter. I have used it before on other books with good results but since the nature of these books is very technical I guess the approach must be different. For example should I photoread the books more than once? cause its never mentioned in the PR course.

mind you there are no endless lines of code, but diagrams, steps of algorithms but mostly paragraphs of text.

any input is welcome

Posted By: AlexK Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/08/02 02:07 AM
quote:
having some difficulty grasping certain concepts

The basic technique remain the same. However since the text is technicial and more challenging for you, you'll want to spend more time activating to gain a better understanding. Photoreading the book every day for a couple of weeks will help.

Remember to treat each chapter as a book on it's own when activating. Give it as many activation passes as you require. prior to activating the chosen chapter photoread it, plus the 2 chapters before as well as 2 chapters following. By photoreading the other 4 chapters as well you round out you inner minds knowledge as it relates to the chapter you are activating.

Make a Mind Map of each chapter as you activate it. Quickly review it prior to activating the next chapter to aid your long term memory of the information.

Good luck with your studies
Alex

Posted By: adrian Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/08/02 02:34 PM
so if I understand correctly, i must:

1. photoread the whole book a couple of times, say 15 times, once every day (or i can PR more than once a day?).

2. After PR, start activation process but first PR again including the 4 chapters in between.

3. Start activation procees making multiple passes + creating mindmaps of each chapter.

Also can I start activation during the actual PR process, lets say day 1 instead of PR only, I could first photoread the whole book and then start a short activation of say chapter one, then on day 2 PR again and try to reactivate chapter one. Am I making this clear enough?

This way, I would not "waste time" photoreading without actually having any conscious awareness of the informaton.

I know PR is the key of this system so please don't think it is useless. I just wanted to know If I can do things concurrently or does this interfere with how information woul be stored in the inner mind?

Posted By: AlexK Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/08/02 03:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by adrian:
so if I understand correctly, i must:

1. photoread the whole book a couple of times, say 15 times, once every day (or i can PR more than once a day?).[b]

Once a day is enough, if you want to do more you may do if you 'want' to.

quote:
[b]2. After PR, start activation process but first PR again including the 4 chapters in between.

Yes that is helpful.

quote:
3. Start activation procees making multiple passes + creating mindmaps of each chapter.

Yes

quote:
start activation during the actual PR process, lets say day 1 instead of PR only, I could first photoread the whole book and then start a short activation of say chapter one, then on day 2 PR again and try to reactivate chapter one. Am I making this clear enough?

Yes, you can do that. you can activate each chapter over a number of days if that is the easiest way for you to work.

quote:
This way, I would not "waste time" photoreading without actually having any conscious awareness of the informaton.

I know PR is the key of this system so please don't think it is useless. I just wanted to know If I can do things concurrently or does this interfere with how information woul be stored in the inner mind?

Yes, you can do things concurrently. It helps if you have photoread the whole book first and done a short postview (15 minutes the whole book if it's a technical one should do it. just to get a general overview of the book) let it rest 'once', thereafter you can fall into immediate activation of that book when you photoread it again.

Posted By: adrian Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/08/02 04:39 PM
WOW. That's great help... thanks a lot.

One more question please.

Can I use the whole mind reading system with multiple subjects at the same time. Say, I photo read a whole Maths book, and then PR a Pascal Programming book at the same or at one go, or say I allow 30 minutes between PR one and the other.

Obviously, i have different subject and want to use this system for all subjects. can it be done without confusing the inner mind with different subjects.

Also while photo reading do thoughts come to your mind. Although I do the chanting thing, sometimes i still get some thoughts. Are there more ways to minimize those as to make the PR session most efficient.

...have to go. just Photoread an 881page book and have some postviewing to do....

Thanks

adrian

Posted By: Flutie Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/08/02 05:08 PM
Wonderful advice Alex!

Posted By: Flutie Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/08/02 05:20 PM
A previous posting in this "thread" was intended for another subject. I am a software developer by trade but over the last two years I really have felt "stalled" as far as acquiring knowledge is concerned; sure I got the promotions but in my heart of heart I know I have not mentally progressed all that much as I could and I should have.

One of the main challenges I have encountered when I attempt to PR work related books is I get into a state of panic about missing out on something very important. Hence I put the brakes and read normally but I keep on thinking about how wonderful it would have been if I could photoread my stuff - so even when I am done I have perhaps less than 50% comprehension and I do not have the reserves or the desire to go through more more recursion. The same happend with the PR book that I went through almost a year ago :-(

Any advice for a moral coward such as myself?

Regards,

Flutie

Posted By: Flutie Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/08/02 05:28 PM
Continuing from my last post, I have tried to dabble with things such as Yoga, Meditation, Writing down all I want to do and trying to go through it morning and night but still there is no change in the results.

Most of my learning has been by looking at examples and previous solutions - hence most of the times I am unable to really get the concepts down and always end up looking for more examples even when I come across similar problems I invariably seek the examples yet again. Any suggestions

Flutie

quote:
Originally posted by Flutie:
A previous posting in this "thread" was intended for another subject. I am a software developer by trade but over the last two years I really have felt "stalled" as far as acquiring knowledge is concerned; sure I got the promotions but in my heart of heart I know I have not mentally progressed all that much as I could and I should have.

One of the main challenges I have encountered when I attempt to PR work related books is I get into a state of panic about missing out on something very important. Hence I put the brakes and read normally but I keep on thinking about how wonderful it would have been if I could photoread my stuff - so even when I am done I have perhaps less than 50% comprehension and I do not have the reserves or the desire to go through more more recursion. The same happend with the PR book that I went through almost a year ago :-(

Regards,

Flutie

Posted By: AlexK Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/08/02 05:29 PM
quote:
Originally posted by adrian:
WOW. That's great help... thanks a lot.

One more question please.

Can I use the whole mind reading system with multiple subjects at the same time. Say, I photo read a whole Maths book, and then PR a Pascal Programming book at the same or at one go, or say I allow 30 minutes between PR one and the other.

Obviously, i have different subject and want to use this system for all subjects. can it be done without confusing the inner mind with different subjects.

It takes a lot more to confuse the inner mind. Go right ahead and photoread each book in succession. Just remember to do a quick preview and statement of purpose for each book. Time between books about 3 minutes.

quote:
Also while photo reading do thoughts come to your mind. Although I do the chanting thing, sometimes i still get some thoughts.

Yes, thoughts can and often will come up. Sometimes they are quite useful.. that is, the are relating to the book you are photoreading. In which case they are worth making a mental note of and then just draw your mind back to the chant. Even random thoughs like whats for dinner, or a past class lecture, it pays to notice them and tell yourself that you will deal with them after you have finished photoreading. The just gently pull your mind back to the chant and keep going.

quote:
Are there more ways to minimize those as to make the PR session most efficient.

Yes, by not making them an issue in the first place , just notice the thoughts they could be beneficial clues and then gently draw your conscious awareness back to the chant.

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited November 08, 2002).]

Posted By: AlexK Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/08/02 05:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Flutie:

Regards,

Flutie

Do the 5 day test on a book, and remember to do a rapid read after you've completed your activation passes. This will help you to discover just how much you did get out of the book. Do this on a few books to get comfortable with it.

By doing the 5 day test on a book you can reduce your anxiety about getting it. Explained in detail in the book.

Alex

Posted By: adrian Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/08/02 05:49 PM
flutie.... don't let anxiety get to you. Sure you may be working under pressure but negative feeling like anxiety and frustration will make it worse.

In page 124 - 125 of the Photo reading book explains how you can turn this problem around and use it as a spring board to excellence. I suggest you give those 2 pages a look. Everything is explained diagramatically so its easy to understand.

Hope this helps.

adrian

Posted By: adrian Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/08/02 11:52 PM
I'm not sure but there is a very fast way to get in state for PR but its not mentioned in the course only in seminars. Does anyone know about it?

What can I do to learn this technique?

Posted By: KWLee Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/09/02 02:40 AM
Everything that is in the seminars is in the course, to the best of my knowledge. Getting into the accelerated learning state can be done pretty quickly, as quickly as one breath to another, once you have it down. All techniques for getting into this state involve a method of relaxation of some sort. I suggest you practise the 3-2-1 method until you feel comfortable with it. Once you're used to the feeling, you'll be able to enter the accelerated learning state easily. Don't forget your tangerine as well just before you open your eyes to PR.

KWLee

Posted By: AlexK Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/09/02 03:21 AM
Adrian,

When you want to photoread thoses unrelated subjects. After doing the 3 to 1 for the very first book, there is no need to do the 'whole' 3 to 1 proceedure for the nexts one, when you follow on immediately.

Specifically, after closing your eyes and stating your sense of mastery for the first book, mentally prepare for the next book (state your purpose) open your eyes with the tangerine in place, do a quick preview to identify your purpose and what you want out of the book spending less than 3 minutes at this. Then to photoread just turn your eyes slightly up... look at at something that is above your horizonal plane of vision (eg a picture on the wall) close your eyes and state your affirmation feel yourself in photofocus and go again with the photoreading. So the time it takes you to get into state again for the next book would be less than 1 minute.

Just remember the closing with mastery for each book and stating your purpose for the next book... your mind will stay closest to the accelerative learning mode and closing your eyes and stating your affirmations triggers it switch on again and you find yourself in full swing for photoreading the next book in quick succession.

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited November 08, 2002).]

Posted By: adrian Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/09/02 03:15 PM
what would an ideal purpose be. For example if I want to learn all the topics we do in class. is it enough to state:

"I want to learn all the topics we are doing in class and be able to work out problems fluently"

In my case that would be a good purpose because the hardest thing is to apply what you learn to solve different problems. I know practice makes perfect but do you think such a purpose is a valid one.

What about some good closing affirmations?

Thanks for the help

Posted By: AlexK Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/09/02 03:56 PM
To me the best closing affirmations are those given on page 51 of the 3rd edition of PhotoReading.

"I want to learn all the topics we are doing in class and be able to work out problems fluently" I think ths is a suitable affirmation... I'd like to offer a couple of minor changes if I may.

Change "I want... " to 'I intend' (has your mother ever said, 'no', when you said I want? Then, I think you can understand the reason I suggest that change.)

Since it for class I am guessing that at some point your knowledge is going to be tested/graded for this I'd like to add... 'to obtain my best passing grade on these topics'.

So the affirmation would be...
"I intend to learn all the topics we are doing in class and be able to work out problems fluently, to obtain my best passing grade on these topics."

Alex

Posted By: adrian Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/09/02 04:08 PM
tnaks for the tip. Thats very intersting.

also.. I am maltese and maltese is my natural language although English is my second language. Would it make a difference in which language you say the affirmations?

And do you actually say them aloud or just think about them?

So you thnk the closing affirmations in the book are ok and shouln't add anything?

Posted By: AlexK Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/09/02 04:37 PM
Say the affirmations to yourself in your head. Use your mother tongue it is easier and usually feels more comfortable.

Yes the affirmations in the book are fine, you don't need to add anything. You may change them if you think of something that is stronger for you. In that case use the affirmation in the book as a guide to make sure that they remain positive

Alex

Posted By: adrian Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/09/02 05:16 PM
I just finished PR 2 books and I am noticing that while PR I can actually see the content of the book and i am able to read words or recognise certain subtitles and diagrams.

I am certain i am in the Photofocus state because I can see the blip page very prominently. Is this normal?

Posted By: KWLee Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/09/02 05:24 PM
Yes. With practice, the print on the page becomes clear, though for some people, it remains blurred. Since you see the blip, there's no worry about it. Just relax.

KWLee

Posted By: adrian Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/12/02 04:43 PM
So let us say I want to PR 3 different books, how shall i go about it.... prepare & preview for all three books, and then PR the 3 books together or do the steps on by one for each book.

I would like to apply this system even while PRing chapters from a book not whole books, say today I want to study three subjects. What do I do? do the previewing together, PR together and then activate from the 3 books accordingly?

What is the fastest and of course the most effective way after all?

regards

Adrian

Posted By: KWLee Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/12/02 05:35 PM
Hi
So let us say I want to PR 3 different books, how shall i go about it.... prepare & preview for all three books, and then PR the 3 books together or do the steps on by one for each book.

If they are for three different subjects, just do it one after the other. You can leave off the 3-2-1 step after the first book because you'll already be in the accelerated learning state after the first one. AlexK has already gone into some detail with this one, so I won't elaborate too much.

I would like to apply this system even while PRing chapters from a book not whole books, say today I want to study three subjects. What do I do? do the previewing together, PR together and then activate from the 3 books accordingly?

Photoreading the whole book anyway would blast the information into your inner mind, which would help you to understand the specific chapters you wish to study. Plus, it doesn't take much more time! However, if you still wish to photoread specific chapters, then sandwich them between the chapter before and chapter after. In other words, PR those as well. You can proceed as suggested above.

What is the fastest and of course the most effective way after all?

The fastest and most effective way is the one which works for you! You'll have to play around to find out which one that is. Don't worry about wasting some time initially - you're learning a new system, after all. Also, try out all the steps of the system. It would be a pity if you missed out on some benefit simply because it wasn't used.

Hope this helps.

KWLee

[This message has been edited by KWLee (edited November 12, 2002).]

Posted By: adrian Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/12/02 05:54 PM
thanks for the quick response.... I waiting for it actually :-) I want to start experimating ASAP especially with activation.

1- As regarding the activation, It happens that I know already what I need to know and therefore extract from the book.

2- Most topics i am doing require full conscous comprehantion and not just the big picture like calculating the current in a circuit, or solving a differential equation.

How would these 2 things change the context of postviewing / super reading and dipping?

Wouldn't it be worthed to rapid read multiple times directly to the sections of the pages where that information is?

Also, to help mind probing, would it be wise to make a written list of things I need to know from a book and sort of reminding myself of them during the day like for example when showering, driving before sleeping etc? How would that effect the activation process.

Posted By: KWLee Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/13/02 06:17 AM
Hi.
1- As regarding the activation, It happens that I know already what I need to know and therefore extract from the book.

Great! So go about extracting it. Once you've photoread and incubated the book, form your mind-probing questions and then superread and dip for what you need. Since you know what you need, your sense of purpose will be more well-defined.

2- Most topics i am doing require full conscous comprehantion and not just the big picture like calculating the current in a circuit, or solving a differential equation.

You still activate in the normal way. In fact, you use more activation layers to push comprehension up. You may wish to take a look at AlexK's experiment, as it very clearly illustrates the activation process, and the importance of activating in layers. Here it is: http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum8/HTML/002346.html
Also, since you brought up mathematical situations, I suppose you will be dealing with problems like these. You will need to practise problems. Photoreading will speed up the time you need to learn the basic concepts and formulae. Also, you may find that when you do problems, the solutions come more easily. A short discussion on mind-mapping and how it may be used to help push comprehension up may be found here: http://www.learningstrategies.com/forum/ubb/Forum8/HTML/002668.html

Wouldn't it be worthed to rapid read multiple times directly to the sections of the pages where that information is?

Superreading will help you locate the information more quickly, and I find that superreading a few times takes the same amount of time as just reading it once. Plus, it gives higher familiarity and comprehension. If you wish to do so, then you can rapid read AFTER you have superread the texts. You'll find that it will fit together much more easily and quickly.

Also, to help mind probing, would it be wise to make a written list of things I need to know from a book and sort of reminding myself of them during the day like for example when showering, driving before sleeping etc? How would that effect the activation process.

You may mind probe during the postview and also just before you begin your activation sessions. In between, I think it would be best to let it incubate. You can think about the questions from time to time, but don't force it or make it an issue. Also, don't expect a sudden rush of answers during the mind-probe. This can and does happen during spontaneous activation, but not always, so don't worry.

Hope this helps.

KWLee

Posted By: adrian Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/12/02 07:02 PM
Thanks again.... fast like always KWLee.

So do you think I should write a list down with the things I need to study? I thing you have missed that question.

Sorry for asking so many anyway.

Something interesting happened during class today that sheds light to how PR works.

Usually during the Electrical Class, I find it hard to understand the subject, for many reasons... one being I haven't done any thing like that for 10 years now. Today it was very different I could follow what the lecturer was explaining and there was not the usual blank stare in my eyes. I was actually understanding, and almost got a coulple of formulas correct.... and I was half asleep due to a short (4 hour)sleep cycle.

Usually I would need to go home and take a second and third look for me to begin understanding.

I'm sure you've experienced it.

Posted By: KWLee Re: Photoreading A computer Science Book - 11/12/02 07:15 PM
Hi.
So do you think I should write a list down with the things I need to study? I thing you have missed that question.

Sure. Go ahead. It'll help your reviews later on.
Congratulations on the classes. You'll find it a useful habit to photoread all the material quite early on in term. That will help activation during classes.

KWLee

© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement