Posted By: HumphreyH Too old? - 12/31/02 11:27 AM
Hi friends,

I have been inspired by this forum to actually order the book. At first I wanted to order the course, but I decided to try the book for a smaller investment and she the results first.

I am very excited to start, although I am that kind of a person that needs proof before believing it. I have tried some of the techniques described in this forum and up to now I had no result at all. I don't feel like anything is hold inside my sub-conscious, nor do I dream anything I have PR-ed. I did not try any superreading nor dipping, since I do not know how to do that yet. I guess I need to start from scratch and wait for the book to come and guide me through this. I used the link from Stereoreading to help me photofocus and I must say I'm quite good at it now. Sometimes I feel very sleepy when PR-ing and it's difficult to keep my eyes open. I also have many moments that my mind wanders off. Is this ok?

Maybe the result will come very very slow due to my late start. I am 46, a slow reader and I have a bad memory. So I wonder am I too late to start? Do you think I will be able to learn new tricks? After all the old habits are quite burned into my whole being with this age.

Thanks for your response.

Posted By: Kaiden Re: Too old? - 12/31/02 12:34 PM
If 46 is too old to learn new skills, you have perhaps 46 more years of unproductive "puttering" to look forward to. Please, for my sake, drop this limiting belief.

Posted By: AlexK Re: Too old? - 12/31/02 02:12 PM
Never too old to learn if you want to. I learnt at 40.

Alex

Posted By: laughing-heart Re: Too old? - 12/31/02 02:21 PM
I knew a granpa who bought his first computer at the age of 80 and was tickled pink by the idea how the PC could help him in his everyday life; he sat there, with his eyes sparkling, reading the manuals and shouting excitedly whenever he had understood yet another feature...

Great rolemodel, huh?

Laughing-heart

Posted By: jonah Re: Too old? - 12/31/02 02:59 PM
Too Old?! NO, with people living to be 100 today, 46 isn't even middle age! Besides, your only as old as you think! I know 30 year olds who think and act like 90 y/o and I know 90 y/o who think and act like 30 y/o
Good Luck in your Endevour!

Posted By: AlexK Re: Too old? - 12/31/02 03:06 PM
Do a search on margaret.

Alex

Posted By: allenhm Re: Too old? - 12/31/02 04:06 PM
HumphreyH:

You need to "STOP IT"!!!!. I learnt photoreading at the ripe age of 46, and that was two years ago. I myself was a slow reader. You don't have a bad memory, at our age, our life is more complex. With many decisions, things to do, your mind is an andy 500 race track. You don't have a bad memory, just a zillion of things going on upstairs You know what I'm sayin? Once you learn how to relax, and I mean relax, things will fall into place for you. Something else you need to consider and that is to start practicing a mental discipline to help you to maintain center, focus, and calm.

Posted By: youngprer Re: Too old? - 01/01/03 06:20 AM
The subconscious has billions of things being managed...ALL THE TIME. Now, there are certain cases of this, but like everyone else here - you do sound like a generally normal 46 year old.

Kaiden is right. It is a self limiting belief. You actually have more potential that you've ever dreamed possible. Breaking old habits is not as difficult as you may believe. Many of us are used to having change happen gradually and over time, but believe it or not - change happens INSTANTLY whether you realize it or not.

Speaking on more proof based terms, haven't you ever had a time in your life when something happened inside you that totally altered many of your perceptions on something? Like a revelation, or some mysterious dawning on you like you had found something that had been missing the entire time, but never knew that you were even looking for it?

Changing behaviors and habits is the same way. It can be done effortlessly and even instantly many times. With breaking old reading habits, the best thing to do is to intentionally practice using the system everytime you sit down with something to read. It's that simple.

Try doing nothing but the PR Whole Mind System on reading material for several weeks, and then just try going back to normal reading habits for 3-4 days. You'll notice it's harder, and feels weird. It is said that the first rule of behavorial psychology is "whatever you reinforce, you will get more of."

I, myself, DID learn with the book, and the book only. Yes, it can be done. Yes - you can be successful with JUST the book.

Be warned however - they say that it's harder and takes longer to learn, but when I look back upon it, I don't see that as the case.

It is true that at the age of 46, you're no longer building and developing new neurons, and thus are not quite so capable of easily learning. Remember when you were a child? Not a care in the world? Not a clue about anything? It was your developing brain and playful curiousity that allowed you to learn life's core academic basic skills so easily. Addition, multiplication, ABC's, your sentance structure and writing style, etc.

Then again, maybe you might make a list about many things you have been successful in learning recently, and realize, "Wow, I had the same basic mindset and attitude as I did when I was a child. This is so interesting, I've GOT to know about it!"

Now imagine PhotoReading. Obviously, you've already found something that's compelling and sparked with intrigue about the system. Can you see yourself one day getting so good with the system that you can take in entire books, containing at least 70% comprehension after spending only 15 minutes on it? It CAN be done!

When your mind wanders, of course it's okay if it's during the PhotoReading step. In fact, the more the merrier! One of the entire points of the PR step is to get your conscious mind out of the way and let your subconscious get at the information that you're needing to take into your long term memory.

SuperReading and Dipping is extremely easy. All you have to do is take your eyes down the center of each page, your purpose in mind, and simply read whatever text attracts you. Remember to try and come up with a clear purpose before using PRWMS on any book. The purpose needs to explain what you want out of it.

Good luck,
youngprer

Posted By: allenhm Re: Too old? - 01/01/03 06:31 AM
"THERE YOU HAVE IT"!!!

Posted By: Hagbard Re: Too old? - 01/01/03 03:36 AM
Actually, neurons and neuronal pathways are being created ALL THE TIME, up till the point of clinical death. If that were not so, it would be IMPOSSIBLE to learn anything new past a certain critical age. I agree that the process starts to slow down at a certain age, but I believe that is due to the "system" as it is. If we were to maintain healthier diets and better learning habits from a young age, we might slow or REVERSE the process of neuronal slowdown.
Choline is good

Posted By: youngprer Re: Too old? - 01/01/03 04:50 AM
Er! I knew that.

Posted By: Kaiden Re: Too old? - 01/01/03 04:56 AM
Correction, choline is WAY good. You'll probably have to go to a health-food store to find it, unless you're willing to pay $2 a can for KMX.

Posted By: Hagbard Re: Too old? - 01/01/03 05:09 AM
Sorry. Choline is WAY good. heh
I get my Choline in the form of Soya Lecithin. I've read that this is better than taking straight Choline, to get rid of the "fishy" smell. Soya Lecithin and drinking LOTS of water, which is good for PR'ing anyway.
I once took a Choline gelcap and poked it. Dripped a few drips of the gel into my son's chocolate milk. He had been watching the "Learn to Read and Write with Mrs. Phipps and Snoothy" tapes up to that point, and had a little success with naming letters on sight. The day after he had the Choline drips in his milk, He picked up 3 new letters immediately. I did that only the one time, as I was wary of OD'ing him on it. I take Choline, ironically, when I remember to take it
I think I should start taking it everydya again, to help with my PR'ing.

Posted By: HumphreyH Re: Too old? - 01/01/03 07:54 AM
Well friends, I'm convinced that my 46 years is just halfway and still have lots of potential to learn. Thank you so much for responding that fast and thanks for the positive inspiration . By the way when SuperReading and dipping do you get out of Photofocus and focus the normal way? And when you have to state your purpose, what do you ask for? Especially when PR-ing the book does not give you a feel you have absorb the material.... I mean the concious mind does not know it yet what to ask , or just do it and let questions come instantly from nowhere (read subconscious... I guess).

Old man getting younger thanking you again for your advise.

Posted By: AlexK Re: Too old? - 01/01/03 10:15 AM
quote:
Originally posted by HumphreyH:
By the way when SuperReading and dipping do you get out of Photofocus and focus the normal way? .

During superreading and dipping we use an expanded vision looking at whole lines/paragraphs at a time yet more like regular focus. Just remember to use the tangerine technique.

Page 25 of the PhotoReading book explains how to start stating your purpose.

You form your questions from your trigger words that you wrote down during previewing or postviewing it is kind of logical in that you can turn headings and subheadings into questions. Sometimes you'll notice that you have the answer or understanding as soon as you've turned the heading into a question.

If you have not yet read the PhotoReading book I recommend that you read it as suggested on the very first page. (Read this Book in 25 Minutes).

Alex

Posted By: HumphreyH Re: Too old? - 01/01/03 07:06 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Youngrer quote:
Try doing nothing but the PR Whole Mind System on reading material for several weeks, and then just try going back to normal reading habits for 3-4 days. You'll notice it's harder, and feels weird.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think you are quite right, since I am PR-ing almost every evening and mornings when I find a quit moment. Funny enough I start using photofocus on many material I have at hand now. And that only after 4 days of excercising photofocus for PR. I use the excellent stereoreading link
http://www.exploreit.net/stereoreading/index.htm (in case anybody is interested).

Doing this with plain books and paper is a lot harder though.... especially when changing pages, then I tend to focus back to the usual style. Maybe in a couple of weeks I get better at hardcopies. Is it normal by the way to exit photofocus when changing pages and then photofocus back for PR? Or is this a clear proof I'm not relaxed enough to ignore the flapping of pages?

Posted By: AlexK Re: Too old? - 01/01/03 09:15 PM
Enter the accelerative learning state,soften your gaze, use the imaginary X technique and you'll probably get the blip page anyway, say the chant and stay with it and you'll get the knack of it in no time.

Alex

Posted By: mancle Re: Too old? - 01/02/03 04:22 AM
This is my second reply to this post. I am just observing at the moment. Just would like to add that I'm 56 years old.I have still to get the system down but I know I will. So it's never too old to start learning.

Posted By: youngprer Re: Too old? - 01/02/03 05:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mancle:
This is my second reply to this post. I am just observing at the moment. Just would like to add that I'm 56 years old.I have still to get the system down but I know I will. So it's never too old to start learning.

And that is the exact attitude that us regulars around here love to hear.

Posted By: HumphreyH Re: Too old? - 01/13/05 07:13 PM
Guess what friends. I've been out for over a year. I gave up after several trials without success, but it keep nagging at me. So I'm back with renewed interest and willing to spend a couple of weeks of PR-ing. After PR-ing 2 books, I found it almost impossible to note down trigger words, since I find hundreds or thousands of things intresting. So how do I make a choice for trigger words. Can't I just use the index or table of contents instead? I also find it very hard to come up with questions. Any tips?

Tx

Posted By: raleigh199 Re: Too old? - 01/13/05 11:16 PM
I started it a few months ago, after I turned 51. I thought I would fail my certification test, for my new advanced position in psychological counseling, as it required reviewing materials I had not studied, since the 1970s , as well as some new theories that I do not particularly believe in-- but needed to know.

I passed the test in flying colors and have noticed that I really enjoy reading voraciously. My job performance has increased significantly, as well as my hobbies. I also recommend Paul Scheele's book on Natural Brilliance, which shows how to apply PR principles in other areas of life.

Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Too old? - 01/14/05 01:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by HumphreyH:
After PR-ing 2 books, I found it almost impossible to note down trigger words, since I find hundreds or thousands of things intresting. So how do I make a choice for trigger words.

Don't choose write them down first come basis. make sure you have 20 to 25 words in about 6 minutes of previewing or post viewing.

quote:
Can't I just use the index or table of contents instead?

Include them but don't use them exclusively.

quote:
I also find it very hard to come up with questions.

That often means you have a poor purpose. Why are you reading the book. What do you want to know from the book and why?

Alex

Posted By: Roger Ramjet Re: Too old? - 01/16/05 09:01 AM
Very interesting subject...I began photoreading at the young age of 56 and it was absolutely the most profound experiance in my life as many doors of interest and motivation opened before me...a renaisance if you will.So I can only encourage you to continue whole-heartedly and you will discover many wonderous things about yourself and your world...

Posted By: Thelearningtree Re: Too old? - 01/17/05 11:14 PM
I just want you to know I'm 58 years old and learning to photoread

© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement