Posted By: Han Wu Dee Photoread the same book okay? - 12/05/03 06:47 AM
I am going to do what many of you did to get good at pr, which is to photoread as many books as one can daily and activate one book every week.

However, I only have so many books at home. And my house is wayyyy too far from the library. No car anyway

So, but I do have sufficient books to keep me busy for a while, certainly so for the duration of my one month xmas break which is coming up in two weeks.

I am just wondering if it will work just the same if I photoread the same books daily. Or must I photoread different books to get the effect?

Posted By: AlexK Re: Photoread the same book okay? - 12/05/03 06:52 AM
You can photoread the same book 10 times in a day if you want. It might not be quite as interesting as photoreading a larger variety but it will get you comfortable with photoreading a lost faster.

Alex

Posted By: flex22 Re: Photoread the same book okay? - 12/05/03 01:47 PM
The web is full of free ebooks.
Have a look around and search for books that interest you.

These ebooks are usually in Abode format.
This is handy because Abode has a feature which enables you to watch the pages flicker by at a set pace i.e 1 page per second.

For previewing I'll set the page to turn a little slower, so I can consciously take in trigger words.

For activation, I'll set the page turn to suit my needs.This is excellent, because it keeps the flow going, and you can fully relax, no pages to turn or book to keep steady.

So, you don't even have to turn the pages, just sit back and let the information enter your brain.

One last thing.Don't worry about running out, there are masses of them.

Posted By: flex22 Re: Photoread the same book okay? - 12/05/03 01:51 PM
Just found this free eBooks

Should keep you busy.

Posted By: EricML Re: Photoread the same book okay? - 12/08/03 07:11 PM
Hey, flex22 (or anyone else)?

Could you elaborate on how to have an auto page flip in Adobe? Can it be used in html format, in offline mode, or either?

Posted By: flex22 Re: Photoread the same book okay? - 12/08/03 07:52 PM
Open Abode
Click Edit
Click Preferences
Click Full Screen (from within preferences)
Tick the "Advance every" button

Specify the value in the box to the right.The value being the number of seconds.

Click OK.

To test this, open an abode document.
Click "Window" in the toolbar, then click
"full screen view."

You should now see the page automatically forward, at the pace you spcified in the value setting.

If you need any more help, just let me know.

Alas, I'm not aware of any way to do this in html, or Word.
If you, or anyone else knows of a way, which I've missed, please let me know.

Thanks!

Posted By: BlackBox Re: Photoread the same book okay? - 12/10/03 01:56 AM
If I Photoread books over and over again through e-books, would it be as effective, less effective...etc compared to photoreading binded books? Just want to be assured it'll not be less effective in the learning process when one hasn't successfully activated yet.

Posted By: AlexK Re: Photoread the same book okay? - 12/10/03 05:30 AM
I found it to be a little more difficult on a computer because its a bit more difficult to start activating from where you want and opening the right page at random quickly is more difficult to achieve. It forces you to activate from front to back or back to front but the skipping around is lacking.

Personally I find bound books faster to activate whereas computer is faster to photoread. On the whole you would expect to increase your speed in both methods. I consider it wise to practice with bound books because of the physical movement involved that often throws beginners out of photofocus.

Alex

Posted By: flex22 Re: Photoread the same book okay? - 12/10/03 12:21 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I usually activate going forward anyway.I don't skip around all the time, in fact, I thought it was important to keep going forward and not going back on yourself.

Can you confirm Alex, that you mean skipping around, as in:
- Going straight to a certain page, then going forward
- Going back on yourself
- just going around (not sure if this includes going back)

Anyway, apart from that, I see your point.If printer ink was cheaper, I would print out all of my white papers, unfortunately they are expensive.

Posted By: AlexK Re: Photoread the same book okay? - 12/10/03 12:42 PM
The best feature of photoreading is you ability to zero in on where you impulses guide you. This isn't just for dipping. Also for opening chapters, pages, sections of the book that answers the most important questions (to you) first. You build comprehension best buy building onto what you already know and what perks your curiosity. This most often means you don't necessarily want or need the information in the order that the author has pesented it (Novels usually, yes and even then not always).

This may mean that you superread a page without dipping and then later superread and dip that page because something layered the need for that information. Yes, it means you may even go back a couple of pages or activate the book backward. It means that you may superread some pages 2 to 8 (or more; it's allowed) times before you actually dip on anything on that page.

This is what is meant by building the comprehension or getting the book to gel through multiple activation passes.

The benefit is it uses your base knowledge to start building your comprehension and that is often not the same linear pattern the author has presented the chapters in.

So by asking yourself mind probing questions and considering your purpose you will be able to start anywhere in the book. After all you've photoread the thing in the authors sequence you and it's has already been recognised internally so you can now go directly to what you want and need to know consciously.

Bit like looking at a buffet without taking anything but quickly walking past everything to see what's there (photoread). Then activate by going directly to what you want to eat. In the eating you might discover it has given you an appertite for more and you are free to go back for more (multiple activation passes) or you found exactly what you wanted and had enough for now (the buffet will be there id you want more later).

Alex

Posted By: flex22 Re: Photoread the same book okay? - 12/10/03 01:06 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.
Totally makes sense.

I think what I was worrying about was activating a passage, then going back and activating it again, in the same activation period.

This could end up making people virtually normal read the material.I mean, in the book, it say's about not worrying if you miss something, just keep going.Apologies if this isn't exact wording, but I belive that to be the case.Or is that just the pre-viewing stage?

Of course, I understand your explanation, I know you know your stuff, so I'm listening.

The way you explained it, as in starting wherever you feel necessary to start, is good advice.

Just feel it's important that I make sure I've got this right.
Should I go back, forward, skip to, or whatever, over the same passage/paragraph (activation pass) more than once in the same activation period?
Or is there a danger in going back/forward/skip over the same stuff multiple times, because this could almost turn into full activation?

My thinking us this: If you only go forward/back in one direction, then there's no danger of passing over the same material multiple times in the same period.

Whereas if you skip to material, then people could end up going over the same material multiple times, thus trying to gain full conscious activation of whole material, instead of getting a feeling for the material.

Jeez, I'm long-winded, bet you loved reading that.

Thanks!

PS: Using your analogy.If you stick with the same food in the same sitting (activation pass), then you'll be stuffed with just one type of food.Thus, when you go back to the food for the next sitting, you'll be fed up of that type of food, and not want to touch it.

[This message has been edited by flex22 (edited December 10, 2003).]

Posted By: AlexK Re: Photoread the same book okay? - 12/10/03 01:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by flex22:
Thanks for clearing that up.
Totally makes sense.

I think what I was worrying about was activating a passage, then going back and activating it again, in the same activation period.

This could end up making people virtually normal read the material.I mean, in the book, it say's about not worrying if you miss something, just keep going.Apologies if this isn't exact wording, but I belive that to be the case.Or is that just the pre-viewing stage?

That's the case, Your mind has picked it up during photoreading and superreading so the fear that you missed it is redundant. It's making it known to yourself consciously through activation. So even reading the same passage during a dip is often significant to your comprehension. Usually you find you either did it faster or were alerted to misreading or misunderstanding a passage. After all we all have made statements that were ambiguous when we checked them afterwards only to realise what we said can be taken two ways. So there is no mistake in reading a passage more than once. Call it reinforcement.

quote:
Of course, I understand your explanation, I know you know your stuff, so I'm listening.

The way you explained it, as in starting wherever you feel necessary to start, is good advice.

Just feel it's important that I make sure I've got this right.
Should I go back, forward, skip to, or whatever, over the same passage/paragraph (activation pass) more than once in the same activation period?
Or is there a danger in going back/forward/skip over the same stuff multiple times, because this could almost turn into full activation?

No danger Forgive me for grinning from ear to ear but I notice your inner mind has a message for you. "Or is there a danger in going back/forward/skip over the same stuff multiple times, because this could almost turn into full activation?" Full activation is what we most enjoy

I think you may have wanted to pose the question or is it falling back to regular reading? Nope, since regular readers often don't have mind probing questions or a purpose they wouldn't go back over stuff and as you become more proficient you will jump around forward and back to build the information you want a lost faster than regular reading. You're following your own inner guide that knows best what makes sense to you. Some people find it easier to ask a question when they know the know the answer others need definintiions and other like structured questions to build comprehension. You'll find that the jumping around is a lot faster than start to finish reading when it comes to building comprehension. On this score... try it and see what happens. It's also a good time to be mind mapping.

quote:
My thinking us this: If you only go forward/back in one direction, then there's no danger of passing over the same material multiple times in the same period.

Save that for the first very super superread do the book in one 30 minute activation pass (some books that will be close to photoreading them again). Going over the same material is to the point that it's redundant I think you'll notice and for that the answer is review your question and get back to supereading.

quote:
Whereas if you skip to material, then people could end up going over the same material multiple times, thus trying to gain full conscious activation of whole material, instead of getting a feeling for the material.

I'm amongst those who like to have same or better comprehension so gaining full conscious activation remains a primary goal for a lot of my reading material. Going over the same reinforces your memory of the text and that's great for studying

I suspect what you really mean is that if you focus on only certain sections you miss the rest of the material? That will depend on your purpose. Not all the information in a book is relevant to everyone. If you want to know the location of the nearest bookstore and you ask someone about it you don't want to be told where the worlds greatest shoe store is located. Some books the 'other' information is redundant for you so why activate it. The conscious mind has to forget it to make room for the next 5 to 9 bits of information in the next moment anyway.

quote:
Jeez, I'm long-winded, bet you loved reading that.

Thanks!

Responded in kind... happy reading

Alex

[This message has been edited by AlexK (edited December 10, 2003).]

Posted By: flex22 Re: Photoread the same book okay? - 12/10/03 02:23 PM
"It's also a good time to be mind mapping."

Your perceptive.I really know I'm progressing, that's why I'm very happy at the moment.
You see, up until now I've never quite understood how you could mind map without actually going to the book and consciously seeking out the headings/sub-headings.

This morning, I woke up and drew a mind map, just came out of my head, well my hands actually, but the head did all the work.I mind mapped a complete book, all the main points.It was just all their on the paper, total understanding of what the book was all about.Amazing.I love it when something happens that you were totally sure could not be possible/as good.This is what makes me persistent and why I always fear when I read a post of somebody announcing they're going to give up.I just think, how can you leave this stuff, the benefits are enormous.

"The conscious mind has to forget it to make room for the next 5 to 9 bits of information"

Something that happens to me is that I can read a question/passage and I just automatically miss out info, just don't bother with it.I just have an overwhelming guide (unconscious) which tells me to miss it.I almost can't physically read it.Guess the unconscious is vastly more powerful than the conscious.I would hate this if I was missing things, but I haven't encountered any problems.
This is why the Photoreading step is important, and why just activating alone has little benefit.

"Forgive me for grinning from ear to ear "

Ok, you forgiven, lol

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by flex22 (edited December 10, 2003).]

© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement