Posted By: Darkwingdw Photo Reading compared to Speed Reading - 05/03/04 07:40 PM
Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has done speed reading and has tried photo reading and can tell me the pros and cons of both techniques. I have tried speed reading myself, but I am unsure of the results that photoreading claims to provide. So if anyone can provide me with any input that would be greatly appreciated!

Posted By: Betsemes Re: Photo Reading compared to Speed Reading - 05/03/04 07:54 PM
quote:
I have tried speed reading myself, ...

Could you tell us about your experiences with speed reading?

Sure thing, for me speed reading did in fact improve my reading speed, but after speed reading my eyes would get extremely tired and as for comprehension, I would like to understand more or get more out of what I speed read. That is why I have posted my message here, to see if anyone has tried speed reading and have also tried photo reading as well.

Posted By: scribe Re: Photo Reading compared to Speed Reading - 05/03/04 11:24 PM
I have. Speed reading didn't work that well for me. I bought the books by Tony Buzan and the Evelyn Wood program and applied the techniques. I didn't get much out of any of the techniques in the way of comprehension.

I do apply the techniques I learned from those books to Photoreading in the activation stage, especially if I'm rapid reading.

I'm sure the Buzan and Wood methods work well for some people but Photoreading is what finally got me to where I wanted to be.

When you say "rapid reading", does that refer to speed reading of some sort? Because I wouldn't want to purchase a product that's similar to speed reading. Hey Scribe, since you've tried speed reading and you said that it didn't work for you, what have you learned from photoreading that you failed to learn with speed reading?

Posted By: ked Re: Photo Reading compared to Speed Reading - 05/04/04 06:34 AM
I also tried Evelyn Woods, and still reap the benefits from that program. However, PhotoReading is so much more different, complete, better, etc. You cannot achieve the entire whole mind experience without PhotoReading and the better you get, the higher and higher speeds you can obtain.

My favorite part about PhotoReading, as compared to Evelyn Woods, is that it is so holistic. It seems so natural, once you understand the system and seems with your mind; instead of being a technique that forces your mind to strain itself.

Do consider photoreading, it's not "another" speed reading course - it's a READING course in general, one that should be taught from a young age, because it is truly how I believe our brains are meant to learn.

What I can apply from Evelyn Woods are some of the study and time-managment techniques for school (which are very similar to the PR ones). As well, learning to subvocalize can help while Rapidreading, or it can help you understand the concept of Superreading and Dipping more quickly. As well, learning to focus your mind and not regress in your reading is important, but Photoreading stresses that as well.

The PR course includes everything and is not as stringent as Evelyn Woods, but is more playful and encouraging. I highly recommend it over any other speed reading course.

Posted By: scribe Re: Photo Reading compared to Speed Reading - 05/04/04 07:03 AM
Rapid Reading is the final step of the process when you feel like you want more from the book you just Photoread and Activated. It's not always necessary.

The technique given for the RR step in the Photoreading book is to skim your eyes along the words slowing down when you find something of interest, speeding up when you hit something simplistic or familiar.

Essentially, Rapid Reading techinques are all that I got out of the previous speed reading books I mentioned. I would say that RR is the most "speed reading" like part of Photoreading. But Photoreading is a lot more than just Rapid Reading or traditional speed reading.

With speed reading I never felt like I really understood or could put to use what I was reading. I felt like I was reading words but I wasn't able to comprehend the ideas behind them. With Photoreading I feel just the opposite. After the initial steps of the process, (Preview, Photoread, Postview) I feel like I have the ideas but I'm not sure exactly how to put them in words or make use of them. Then after I Activate (step 4) and/or Rapid Read (optional step 5) everything gels and I really understand the material.

quote:
Hey Scribe, since you've tried speed reading and you said that it didn't work for you, what have you learned from photoreading that you failed to learn with speed reading?

As far as techniques go, I failed at speed reading because I still had to go back and regular read everything I had sped read. I didn't see an improvement in speed or comprehension so I gave up. With Photoreading I was able to see improvement in my reading speed and comprehension immediately and it got better the more that I used it.

Subjectwise, I've learned a lot with Photoreading. There was a gap of a few years between my attempts at speed reading and my Photoreading so I didn't apply both techniques to the same material.

I'm in the minority here in that I didn't use the self-study course or the live seminar to learn Photoreading. I saw the book at the bookstore and picked it up.

I also learnt speed reading. Had a relatively high reading speed of 340 wpm and did the Mega Speed Reading course... in the end my speed was just on average of 250wpm... yep lost speed tried like the devil to get it back up.

Found PhotoReading and the idea that I could finish 3 books in the time that it took me to finish one sold me. Only to discover it gets even better than that

Rapid Reading... imagine a kayak on a river... some parts are slow others are fairly fast and others you definately don't have time to look at the scenery you're moving to fast. What dictates the speed is the section of river you are on. That's rapid reading... like crusing down a river reading the book from cover to cover (or chapter from beginning to end). Your speed varies according to how the imformation moves you.

Alex

Have someone really achieved reading 1 million words per minute? I mean that's pretty amazing, I understand that if I were to try it, it would be difficult to attain 1 million words per minute. I want to know what would be the reading speed of an average photo reader because i'm sure not every one who photoreads can read 1 million words per minute!

Thanks to all those who helped me by giving very detailed and thoughtful inputs, I appreciate it very much.

Sorry I may have made a mistake, was it 25,000 words per minute? I apologize for that, I also read about the posts on lucid dreaming, perhaps that's why I recalled 1 million words per minute. So the question still applies to 25,000 words per min, thanks!

Wait, Alex, did you say you used to read 300wpm with speed reading course? I thought speed reading course helps people at least beyond 1000wpm....

Anyway, one more minor question. Did you learn PR by course alone or by taking PR seminar?

Nope that was my natural speed before learning speed reading. Sur it pushed me to go faster and faster but comprehensin got worse and worse and that frustrated me as a result I started reading slower. I guess it's like always hitting a wall over certain terrain that you start to take it more conservatively. Was rather surprising to me that a few weeks after learning speed reading I was reading neally 90 wpm slower than before.

Now it's considerably faster between 600 and 1500 wpm depending on what I'm reading.

693,000 wpm with a 75% comprehension has been recorded years ago. Although it's not reading. Different experience to regular reading in that conscious comprehension was being built as the questions were being asked.

Yes they are bordering on 1 million wpm photoreading. But for conscious comprehension as we are accustomed to from regular reading requires activation.

I learnt from the book. Then added the home Study course. I didn't attend a seminar until I did my Instructor Candidate Training.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited May 04, 2004).]

I am not sure but PR is similar somewhat to Evelyn Wood method. EW teaches similar reading layers but varying speed from fast to slow and then fast. The only differences b/w PR and EW seem only PR state and relaxation.

My experience with Evelyn Wood method was still pushing the eyeballs faster over the words. This was tiring and frustrating for comprehension.

Flipping pages and getting a sense of knowing that you've just taken in information that is being organised in your mind is different to any of the reading methods that I've tried.

Mega Speed Reading, Tony Buzan Speed reading, Evelyn Woods... few others that were similar in move the eye faster the comprehension will come promise.

PhotoReading works in reverse... Take it in at the fastest possible speed that you can. Then at the fastest speed that is faster than reading you superread and dip for answers to satisfy your curiosity and 'start' building the conscious comprehension for a few layers. Rapid Read is closest to regular reading thats where you start getting anaylitical type detail. In all in the end on a detailed book you can get it done in 1/3 the time.

Full conscious comprehension that is the same or often better than what one gets with regular reading.

Put into perspective if the book takes 9 hours to regular read you can do it in 3 and have detailed comprehension. Textbooks 30 hours done in 10. Or in other words in a book with 9 chapters in the time it takes you to get through to chapter 3 you can put the whole book together.

Alex

SpeedReading you have to practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practicepractice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice and then practice.

Photoreading you do it and then one day you come to the realization one way or another that it's hard NOT to do it right and that purpose is everything and your set.

I can speed read and photoread and I move quick as hell through books. But speedreading just requires to much work to develop. I'm sorry, I just wouldn't do it. Stick with subconscious processing.

I can still speed read at about 1200wpm but I used to be 2132 when I used to practice everyday.

[This message has been edited by DaPhotoFinisher (edited May 07, 2004).]

Wow, 1200 wpm... very impressive, I will have to agree with you that speed reading takes alot of practice! Since you're so successful with speed reading, I'm sure photoreading wasn't much of a problem for you. I am now curious of how fast you can read with photoreading?

Posted By: BlackBox Re: Photo Reading compared to Speed Reading - 05/07/04 08:39 PM
Reaching regular-reading speeds of 1200WPM is very easy with programs like eyeQ. http://www.infmind.com/

I highly recommend it. It increases mental efficiency and spatial-awareness.

I'm at 1500WPM right now. I'm trying to reach 2500 so then I can get to 5000, and so on. One step at a time.

Remember that the mind is heavily programmed to keep the "brakes" on accelerated reading where it is. You have to work on achieving alpha states and perhaps even theta states to over-ride the barriers.

You're reading at 1500 wpm right now, are you referring to speed reading or photoreading? If you're referring to photoreading, the speed difference between photoreading and speed reading is not that far apart.

Can speed reading help Photoreading? Probably speedreading can help just the rapid reading step in PR to be a little faster. I don't think investing energy, effort, time into SR is necessary.

Posted By: ked Re: Photo Reading compared to Speed Reading - 05/08/04 07:55 PM
Here's how I see it. The photoreading whole mind system is complete; that's why it's called the "whole mind" system. It incorporates all of the mind, many different reading techniques and is far more comprehensive than any "speed reading" course which is going to focus on moving your eyes faster, with possibly a little emphasis on layers (like in Evelyn Woods). But no matter what, none of these systems have the PhotoReading step. The more and more comfortable I get with PhotoReading in general, the less I can quickly read something (like an e-mail, quick news article, etc.) without first quickly photoreading it. It just seems pointless to me to waste time not using the system.

However, it has taken me time to get to this point, time invested in actually using the system. What I noticed at first was that the effects of the PhotoReading step were minimal, if anything. However, the more you become aware of your mind's true abilities, the more you practice the system and the more it becomes comfortable (in my case, understanding how layered reading works was what got me to a comfortable level) - then the more you understand the power of the PhotoReading step.

That of course doesn't mean you can't apply ideas learned from Speed Reading courses, such as moving your eyes faster while Rapid Reading. But what it all comes down to for me is that Paul already discusses how to make Rapid Reading flow --- rythmic perusual. Plus, rapid reading includes learning when to speed up and when to slow down for details.

Hope my two cents makes sense. Basically I'm trying to convey that PhotoReading is complete, and the only thing I think is applicable, possibly, from any speed reading course is moving the eyes faster, reading clumps of words, and stop subvocalizing - applicable to the Rapid Reading step.

I hear you loud and clear ked, thanks for your comment!

Posted By: BlackBox Re: Photo Reading compared to Speed Reading - 05/10/04 08:43 PM
Dark,

I read at 1500WPM at maximum normal-reading speed. I've never really taken the time to learn speed-reading.

Photoreading at 1500 is ridiculous. When you learn how to photoread, the rates of 25,000-70,000WPM comes into play. However photoreading really isn't a WPM category. It's more of a strategy that becomes almost god-like with practice.

I like your use of words Blackbox and it sounds as if Photoreading is far beyond just mere speed reading, perhaps you're right, you cannot compare Photoreading with speed reading because they're not even in the same category. Thanks for all your input guys, I really appreciate it!

Posted By: RyanS Re: Photo Reading compared to Speed Reading - 05/11/04 01:33 AM
what does everyone think of EYE Q at infmind.com.
I've tried it and practiced alot but I haven't improved that much.

Well you have to remember that's only a demonstration, so you cannot expect spectacular improvement by just doing the demonstration! I would say it would improve your reading speed if you were to purchase their program, but I'm interested in more of something in the lines of Photoreading where you get more out of reading. Those are just some of my thoughts.

Posted By: BlackBox Re: Photo Reading compared to Speed Reading - 05/11/04 02:02 AM
eyeQ is the reason I read at 1500WPM.

However to increase in reading speed, you must understand that it is like walking up a pyramid. One step at a time. From 400 to 600, 600 to 1000, 1000 1500, and so on.

Imagine our brains as cars. We read at a certain rate yet our potentials are progressively higher than that which we sustain.

We have barriers that act as brakes to our cars. Affirmations, believe it or not, can greatly help with progress up the eyeQ reading curve. What keeps us from reading at optimal speeds is our programming. The programming that we obviously cant remember being done to us because we were infants at the time.

I assure you, there are plenty of children in Japan right now who can read at rates well above 100,000. It sounds crazy only because we're limited by our self-concepts.

No way blackbox!
100,000wpm? or 100.000wpm? If the first one is yes and true, please show me the link where you got that idea. I mean how can you read consciously 100,000? As far as I know speedreading is conscious reading. If the statement is false, that means your speedreading becomes unconscious level which will be just like photofocus step alone

Maybe 100,000wph? That is still fast!

Posted By: RyanS Re: Photo Reading compared to Speed Reading - 05/12/04 03:40 PM
Well I bought Eye Q and I was just wondering if someone could tell me if you can actually "Read" that fast?
Can the conscious mind actually handle that much information?
or, would it just be sort of skimming or something?
Would you combined both techniques?
PR SR (such as Eye Q, cause all other speed reading programs are nothing compared to this one)www.infmind.com

I haven't tried EyeQ before but is it really both PR and SR combined? I thought EyeQ was just SR?

As far as I know, the fastest conscious reading speed is 2000wpm. So if you break that to something like 5000, what is it then? Semi-photoreading? Qaurter-photoreading?

I hate to rain on anyones parade but the fastest possible reading speed is a little over 300 wpm according to Berkley University, measuring the eyejumps. Courts have ruled that the fastest speed is 800wpm anything after that is no longer considered reading.

Rhythmic perusal will get you to speeds of about 600 wpm.

Anything higher is considered skimming. One needs to develop a good skill of dumping unimportant information and recognising what is important when we start pushing speeds over 800wmp. A byproduct of speed reading is poor retention. Because of the speeds going over the material the conscious mind does not move it into long term memory so while you can demonstrate good recall and comprehension just after reading most is forgotten because it is not placed into long term memory. PhotoReading places the information into our long term memory first that's why we have good long term memory of what we have PhotoRead. I'm still astounded by the fact that my memory from books I've PhotoRead is far greater than my memory gained from the old method of regular reading. (not speed reading).

Conscious reading really will not excede 800wpm due to the limited ability of the conscious mind. Remember the conscious mind has the ability to handle 5 plus or minus 2 bits of information per second. Using that figure you will note that the best reading speed is 540wpm. 9bits x 60sec(1 minute) = 540wpm

That said much of what is written in a text is superficial filler or long winded explainations

page turning of books will limit a PhotoReader to about 58,000wpm

Computer screens we are getting toward the 1 million mark (limited by the refresh rate)

693,000wpm 75% comprehension has already been recorded. That's PhotoReading not word for word reading. If we try to bring it back to our conscious comprehension with the conscious minds limitied maximum of 9 bits of information per second. We'd be at it for a few days considering out mind likes to get distracted by mumdane things like meal breaks, and other distractions.

The real point is the information is there it's a matter of prioity what we want to know consciously so if you can zoom over the words in a book superreading at 3000 to 6000 wpm my advise is don't slow down for what you already know you know and don't need to know consciously right now. You mind has already recognised it during PhotoReading again through superreading and dipping and if you need it in the future the book is there for the review, but time stops for no one.

So when you PhotoRead a book at 25,000wpm and get the feeling you don't need to read this, you already know it or wow this book I've got to read... You've way ahead of someone who is painstakingly reading every word the author wrote, you've prioritised your time.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited May 13, 2004).]

© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement