Posted By: rudolflai Exams are on. Advice needed. - 12/30/05 04:34 AM
Hi. I want to find out what purpose should i have in order to absorb everything useful(which will appear in the exam) from a text book.
My current purpose is - "I am now going to absorb Chapters e.g.5-6 from this e.g. History for my upcoming History exams."

Is that good enough? Or do I need a better one?

Please reply as soon as possible cause exams are just a weeks away.

Posted By: photoread4me Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 12/30/05 06:58 AM
I think you need another purpose. My purpose is to learn this book (title of history book)so i can pass my history exam.
Photoread4me
Posted By: rudolflai Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 12/30/05 07:43 AM
Well, That's one thing but for me passing is nearly for granted(i am in grade 9) so if i change it to " to learn this book (title of history book)so i can get an A" will it fit?
Posted By: raleigh199 Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 12/31/05 06:05 AM
I would say I want to explore what
items I will need competency in for
the exam and to know what I need to
examine in greater depth.

That will create a first layer of
exploratory future activation.
From there, you may have a greater idea of
what to focus on for your exam.

Mind map the subsequent activation with your class notes and your conversations with your professor/instructor. Also if you can grab old exams in the course, that will help.

Then after a sufficient break, water, stretching, and brain food ( chunks of fish),
PR again.

Keep going through the above cycle until you feel you have confidently mastered the critical data that you will be tested on!

Good luck

Posted By: rudolflai Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 12/31/05 12:51 AM
Yo, Thanks guys.
Any one has opinion on my new purpose"(" to learn this book (title of history book)so i can get an A"), or some other suggestions?
Posted By: photoread4me Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 12/31/05 02:22 AM
Your purpose is to learn and understand the material so you can get the best possible passing grade & graduate from school.
Photoread4me
Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 01/01/06 08:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by rudolflai:
Hi. I want to find out what purpose should i have in order to absorb everything useful(which will appear in the exam) from a text book.
My current purpose is - "I am now going to absorb Chapters e.g.5-6 from this e.g. History for my upcoming History exams."

Is that good enough? Or do I need a better one?

Please reply as soon as possible cause exams are just a weeks away.

Why do you want to pass the history exam? Ultimately that's your real purpose. When you know that then your current purpose statement will probably work beautifully.

And no I don't consider having a purpose of getting an A useful. The first two questions on the exam might stump you triggering an internal signal that you've failed. You haven't actually failed. Your mind just hasn't answered those two questions yet. However with this feeling of failure you're not going to look at the other questions as objectively and will probably perceive them as hard. So you won't be giving them your best shot either.

When focusing on a grade focus on your best PASSING grade. Naturally if you do it right you'll probably land an A. A "B" is probable if you were a little lazy or this time round the subject is harder. A "C" is likely if you've been avoiding the necessary homework till the last minute or this is a subject you have often bombed on in the past, hey, it's a passing grade. When you set yourself realistic goals it's much easier to achieve them.

As already said you probably should be reviewing and not studying for the exam if it's so close. Check any mindmaps you've created and review the infomration you've forgotten.

If you're studying... I sure they gave you more time? Apply the 5 day trest approach in 20-minute blocks. 3 passes with 5 minute breaks between passes, an hour work then take a longer break. Mind map at the end of each activation (if you get to detailed in mind mapping while you activate) Or Mind Map as you go.

You want to be able to review your work the day or so before the exam. Probably looking at it 3 or 4 times throughout the day.

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex K. Viefhaus (edited January 01, 2006).]

Posted By: raleigh199 Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 01/05/06 07:59 PM
I would state the purpose as "I want to explore what items I will need competency in for the exam and to know what I need to
examine in greater depth"

My reasoning for stating the purpose that way, is that your other than conscious mind sort of knows what the teacher/instructor is really looking for.

I agree with Alex, that getting what you can get out of the course for practical applications may be better than just getting an A.

When I was a highschool, an undergrad and grad student at top academic universities; I received honors grades. Decades later, I had certification tests that required me to review old materials. Photoreading came into play for me and I passed the certification exams beyond my wildest expectations, using the PURPOSE I stated above and I also do the material in real life as a SOCIAL WORKER (full time), Medical Technician(weekends only) and Stanley Kaplan Tutor ( evenings). I also am a teacher of children in the martial arts, where PR has helped me become a better student (currently working on purple belt in Shotokan and have achieved Black Belt in Judo, green belt in goju ryu, and dabbling as a white belt in Ninpo) and teacher ( at the shotokan school), also. PR has allowed me to have such a rich life and succeed in so many areas, since I began in summer of 2004. I might add, i was skeptical of PR , when I first began it, but my Anthony Robbins coach helped me through my resistance, as well as him directing me to read this post. NOw I am a PR convert and try to help others develop competency in PR.

You seem like I was in high school and really grade oriented. I wish, however, I had heard about Alex's 20%/80% theory when I was in high school, as I could have achieved even more , if I could have had that mindset in the past! You have the benefit now and I would really try to master the Pareto Principle as the 20%/80% rule is officially named, if I could do it over again, as a high schooler.

I agree with all other posts on this thread, but I thought I'd clarify my two cents, as I have always been a STRAIGHT A student!

Consider reviewing this post by Alex on September 1, 2005, where she helps a law student master a lot of material quickly, using the 20%/80% rule. It may not seem relevant toyour present course, but the learning PRINCIPLES are the same, even though the CONTEXT is different (ninth grade history versus law school). Sometimes , one has to be creative and think "out of the box" to really optimize the use of this forum and have outsatnding CUTTING EDGE reults in your daily life! It has worked for me and the other people my Anthony Robbins coach instructs.

Alex K. Viefhaus
Learning Strategies Corporation posted September 11, 2005 08:11 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remember the 80/20 rule 80% of the information you need comes from 20% of the text. Sure the answer to your question may be detailed in 3 pages however you need to learn to dip and then pull out, go back to superreading before you have everything.
Those pages often have examples that show what the author is talking about. It's otherwise known as padding. Consider how many you do really need to understand it? I know sometimes they are interesting for the tale but often they don't add much more to what the author has already explained.

Don't get in the trap of reading them in detail. You already know it. You've PhotoRead it and you brought it to conscious awareness. In the next 15 seconds you'll have "forgotten" it. That is it is no longer in your conscious awareness until you think about it or "recall" it. The conscious mind doesn't hold it, the nonconscious mind does. You just created a thread to tug on so you can recall it easier later.

So if the information you need is in those 3 pages dip for the least of it. If it wasn't clear ask for clarification and do it on another pass.

Make your notes at the end of activation if you feel you are getting too detailed. It motivates you to summarise in your own words not the authors. That way you can see you are understanding the information.

You might also consider not making notes until your 3rd pass. During your activation hold a pencil and put a small arrow next to the lines where you dipped and found the answers. Make sure you write your questions. If you think of more questions as you activate write them down for a record but don't write the answers. Spend the time at the end writing the answers remember the small markings you make in the book. Go back to them if you have difficulty with recall you should be able to jump to the correct mark more or less straight away.

Let go of needing to know everything in the smallest of details. Know the 80% you need to know and you'll be able to find the reference again when you need it.

Even if you wanted to cite a case in court you would check the book to make sure you haven't overlooked something in the case. If you know 40 to 80% consciously you'll be able to find it again faster than if you had no knowledge of it.

Yes, I've read a couple of Frau Birkenbihls books. I've also doen the Memory Optimizer course. I think it's a shame her book ABC-Kreativ hasn't been translated it would fit in the Genius Code course.

Alex

[This message has been edited by raleigh199 (edited January 05, 2006).]

Posted By: rudolflai Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 01/11/06 12:49 PM
Wow, I didn't expect so much attention. Thanks everyone.
However the situation is a bit complicated, teachers always finds the "devil in the details" and use them to formuate questions. Also the education in Hong Kong is a bit different. It requires more memorization and retention. They ask the most awkard questions.

Of course i am not hoping for 100% comprehension, which is also unachievable unless you are reciting the book. However i juz want to get the most out of the book, including the details to get a passing grade, in the exam.

P.S. of course i made mind maps, and i will and have reviewed them.

Cheers,
Rudolf

Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 01/12/06 06:34 AM
Trust your mind. Imagine the teachers questions during activation. Allow yourself to be drawn to those parts of the text.

Alex

Posted By: Paul Canada Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 01/16/06 12:55 AM
Did you get your marks back from your exams?

How did you do?

Thanks

Paul

Posted By: rudolflai Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 01/17/06 12:31 PM
Will get it tommorrow, will post then!
Posted By: rudolflai Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 01/20/06 09:34 AM
Ok, here are the results for the subjects i revised w/ PR:
English:87/100
Eng.Composition:76/100(1st in grade)
Physics 78/100
Chemistry 91/100
Biology 92/100(2nd in Class)
Economics 88/100(1st in class)
History 87/100
Posted By: raleigh199 Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 01/20/06 03:18 PM
Congratulations

I had no doubt that you would excel!

Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 01/20/06 08:44 PM
Posted By: rudolflai Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 01/21/06 12:50 AM
Haha thx guys.
Many of your opinions rili helped me.
However, the road to the best is still a long long way. Let' see how did the 1st in the grade did:
English:89/100<
Physics 95/100<
Chemistry 97/100<
Biology 93/100<
Economics 95/100<
History 95/100<

Nevermind, they don't know how to PR, and i can still utilize PR more and more. Thanks!!

Posted By: Alex K. Viefhaus Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 01/21/06 12:58 AM
Passing grade is all you need. Later down the track it doesn't matter anyway. Next year someone else will have the first. In other schools someone else holds the first. Great for the ego at the time yet it doesn't make an iota of difference if you wind up in a job you hate. The person at the interview wants to see more than just a parrot grade.

Alex

Posted By: yas1891 Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 01/21/06 02:48 AM
Do you think you got these grades because of PR? How long did you prepare for each exam?
Posted By: rudolflai Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 01/22/06 04:50 AM
Alex,
As i said before, i am not satified by the passing grade only. i know i can do better.

yas1891,
Mostly. Part of it is because i hv a good memory. PR is the main course.
As for the time, every subject i only spent 1 and a half hrs on preperation. that's what the PR book recommended for i session.
Also, listening to the teacher during class is important.

Posted By: scottishdibble Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 01/22/06 11:29 PM
Well done!!

I am sitting some medical post grad British exams (have already failed them 3 times.)

I have been trying different study strategies including PR of my main text.

The pass mark varies but is usually between 58 and 62%. Only about a third of candidates pass at any sititng.

Wish me luck.
D

Posted By: raleigh199 Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 02/01/06 05:14 PM
Good Luck Scottishdibble!
Remember to activate in increasing
powerful layers on a multisensory level
(kineasthetic ( feel yourself inside those microscope slides for the Pathology exam!), visual, auditory, --even olfaxtory) and Mind map, Mind map, Mind map!!).
You will do fine, if you follow Paul Scheele's materials and Alex Viefhaus' suggestions on PRing, as I have done, in my own studies!!
Posted By: hypertext Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 02/02/06 02:00 AM
Hello ,raleigh199 , I see you stated this previously above:

"I agree with all other posts on this thread, but I thought I'd clarify my two cents, as I have always been a STRAIGHT A student! "

My point is, how natural did this photoreading come to you since you appeared to have always been a "straight A " student like you said?
Sheer discipline or above average intelligence or both?
How did photoreading affect your "learning ability" so to speak, ie, were you learning just as much before but quicker or did PR revoluntionise your whole way of learning? (seeing as you were already acustomed to high achievement study beforehand)

It would be interesting to clarify what type of apitude picks up photoreading quicker and applies it more effectively than others. Undoubtedly there must be variations.
-------------------------------------------------------
On another note I would love to know what is the average length it takes to "master" PR completely, like how far average intelligence can bring you until natural talent takes over -- in other words ,what does it take to reach scheele's level>?

Posted By: WeldingEngineer Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 02/02/06 03:41 PM
Goodluck Scottishdibble (BTW luck has nothing to do with it, mental preparation is the key).

Your “have already failed them 3 times” is self-defeating and writing this is telling yourself you will fail. You need to change this to “I am going to pass the exam!” Forget about the past exam scores.

Here are a few techniques that I have used, to study for a licensing exam. (BTW, I scored the highest in the nation on this exam.)

Including MindMapping, generate ABC lists. Pick a topic (use the chapter title or subchapter titles, as starting points, of your text) and generate an ABC list. Repeat this whenever you can. You should generate several lists for each chapter.

While commuting to and from school, work, et cetera, generate an ABC list, vocally. Adding the information to your brain via a different sense (audio).

Don’t forget other then PR your text, PR several related publication, use the bibliography of each chapter.

Make some Flashcards of keywords concepts. Keep them in you pocket for a quick quiz.

As you stroll down the street look at the signs, pick a letter of each sign and think of a word or phrase that starts with that letter that is relate to your topic. (I used the letters and numbers of car license plates).

Keep a running diary or blog on your topic. By reading or PR then writing about it you generate strong neural connections. I suppose that one could as create an audio dairy and then listen to it, when one have available time.

When you are studying drink penty of water and study in short 20 minutes blocks, taking time between consecutive sessions to digest the information.

If you have a particular hard section to study do it just before you go to bed. Think about it as you drift off to sleep, letting you subconscious mind work on it. It might be handy to keep a pen and paper by you bed to jot down anything you think of when you wake up.

Since you have previously taken the exam, try to recall the past exams. With pen and paper in hand, start writing any question or feeling you had about from the past exams. Within a short period of time you should have a good set of topics to study. When you take this exam this time, make a mental note to remember the any question you had trouble with. After the exam, write these down, and research the information. If you pass the test you have also increased you knowledge, if you failed the test you now know the answer. Win-win strategy.

The “Memory Optimizer” course has wealth of good information. I recommend it to all, especially those that are using PR for exam preparation.

Vita sine litteris mors est.

Posted By: raleigh199 Re: Exams are on. Advice needed. - 02/03/06 04:00 PM
Hi Hypertext,
I am going to start a new post to respond to your question, as it is a slightly different topic than rudolflai's original post!
We have not heard from Scottishdibble yet! I hope he did well!

raleigh199

© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement