Posted By: Rick Learning Qigong from a tape program??? - 01/04/01 05:27 AM
Hi Pete B,

I must confess that I am harboring some reservations that a person can learn how to do qiqong effectively, if at all, from watching a video tape program. I mean, isn't this something that one should learn from a live instuctor? I've read in several books, "Magus of Java" for one, that it takes years of practice and study with a qualified master before you can achieve a level of proficiency.

I would definitely appreciate your feedback.

For the longest time we didn't think someone could learn PhotoReading from a home study course. We assembled a team led by Paul Scheele to completely redesign how we taught PhotoReading from the ground up and in 18 months figured out how to teach PhotoReading with audio tapes. That was five years and tens of thousands of satisfied PhotoReaders ago.

When we began working with Chunyi Lin in 1997 we did not know whether it was posssible. We had two major things going for us: 1) we had incredible expertise in learning to learn, and 2) Chunyi had taught over 5,000 people Qigong in his workshops.

Chunyi learned that years of practice was not necessary to remove energy blockages from the body and balance energy in the body.

He also learned that he could teach anyone how to give energy to other people in two minutes.

He says one of the reasons Masters have said that in the past is control. Another is because the Masters, themselves, do not truly understand how energy moves through the body. Another is they want students. Another is to keep Qigong cloaked in mystery.

That said, mastery takes time; proficiency doesn't.

In the last year more than 3,600 people ordered the Spring Forest Qigong course. Returns under the 6-month satisfaction guarantee have been less than 3%. The feedback has been very positive.

What's the best way to learn Spring Forest Qigong? Do both the personal learning course and the workshop. The problem is being able to get into the workshop--if you can do it. There are not very many workshops and they are often taught over several weeks. He does only a couple weekend retreats a year and they fill up right away. The experience with Chunyi is worth the expense.

Level 1 is everything you need to know and do to heal yourself. Level 2 is about giving healing to another person. Level 3 is group healing, long distance healing, and more healing with another person. We hope to have these available in the next two years.

For Levels 4 and beyond you will have to study with Master Lin.

When you get the course, feel free to ask any questions here.

I am not a medical doctor, so I cannot give medical advice, but I will do what I can to help you understand the practice of Spring Forest Qigong.

By the way, I just finished a 30-minute Sitting Meditation and am drinking a cup of Yin-Yang water. It is wholly part of my life.

Posted By: happyday Re: Learning Qigong from a tape program??? - 01/05/01 01:35 AM
Pete, did you do any kind of Yoga, Taichi or the likes before you started Qigong, which would enable you to compare Qigong with one of those?
No. About a year before Qigong I was heavy into racquetball and aerobics. During the "missing" year I recovered from a car accident and falling out of a tree. I've been a meditator for years, some heavier than others.
Posted By: Rick Re: Learning Qigong from a tape program??? - 01/05/01 05:34 AM
Hi again Pete,

Thanks for your prompt and extremely informative reply.

I must confess that some time ago I also had reservations about PhotoReading, that is, until I decided to put my skepticism aside and take the plunge. Now, I'm a PR believer/crusader. Guess it's my nature to be wary of everything at first...could it be because I'm from New Yawk?

Anyways, I'm an inquisitive sort so I'm gonna go ahead and adopt the mindset of a research scientist, take the plunge and have fun with the program and check out the results for myself.

Thx again!

Posted By: trasheik Re: Learning Qigong from a tape program??? - 02/06/01 05:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pete Bissonette:
By the way, I just finished a 30-minute Sitting Meditation and am drinking a cup of Yin-Yang water. It is wholly part of my life.

What is Yin-Yang water, please?

trasheik,

Yin Yan Water is made using half mixture of hot water and spring water with a bit of honey added.

Michael Saikali

Half boiled water and half spring water.
Posted By: Brian649 Re: Learning Qigong from a tape program??? - 02/07/01 03:50 PM
Half boiled water and half spring water.

What is the significance of the boiled/spring water other than philosphical yin/yang?

Actually, pete, I had a dream that I met you after a business meeting and shook your hand.. I gave a very vigorous and strong business-like hand shake... and you responded with, 'no.. no no no. relax brian, inner smile, try again.' and the next handshake was one of gentleness. Like a qigong/taichi handshake if one exists.

agg, I hate those weak, feminine handshakes. Feels like holding a fish.

[This message has been edited by Tim_with_a_T (edited February 07, 2001).]

Posted By: Brian649 Re: Learning Qigong from a tape program??? - 02/08/01 02:36 AM
agg, I hate those weak, feminine handshakes. Feels like holding a fish.

"no.... no no no, relax Tim, inner smile, try again"

you mis-read. A tai chi/qigong hand-shake would be like 'push-hands' if you've ever heard of that. Like yin-yang/give and take. You don't know if you are pushing or pulling, weak or strong. In a strong handshake, both grapple. In a weak hand shake, the strong shakes the weak. This is much more subtle.

Actually, I asked my tai chi instructor about this a couple hours ago and she said there was indeed such a handshake. It is known as the 'Apostolic Handshake'-- it supposedly originated with the 12 apostles... it's very secret and exclusive so *hush* and is a way to find out how enlightenend a person is. It is how a tai chi master would shake... or Jesus... or boddichitta, not a fish

It's all the same to me...damn tree-hugging hippies....
Posted By: Brian649 Re: Learning Qigong from a tape program??? - 02/08/01 04:12 AM
It's all the same to me...

Then you haven't experimented enough. Try doing the 'Awakened Mind' meditation on the bwgen. See how you feel immediately after rising. Life FEELS different. Report back. Describe how it feels just to walk around. Describe what it's like to open a door or to reach for a light switch or to speak. Most importantly, describe your breathing. Is it you breathing? Or is the Universe breathing you? Then you may begin to discern what I'm talking about.

Any perticualar length of time that I should listen for it to take affect? 10mins, 15, one hour, two hours, what?
Posted By: Brian649 Re: Learning Qigong from a tape program??? - 02/09/01 03:55 AM
though the preset is 20 minutes long, it will continue after that time is up. 20 min minimum, longer if you are having trouble slowing down...but don't keep track of time.

Have you ever used binaural beat technology before? It's quite amazing. The first time I used this preset, I literally felt thoughts being RIPPED out my skull. I was trying to think normally with an inner voice and the voice had the sound of a mentally handicapped person or... like a warped, stretched audio tape. It wouldn't let me think. Whenever I created a vocal thought, it would tear it to shreds. And when I arose after 30 or so minutes, I felt and saw as a Zen Master would feel and see... Anna Wise's Awakened Mind profile...the real deal. It was quite trippy actually, though short lasting.

I'm taking the plunge....I'll see you on the other side.
Posted By: Lomas Re: Learning Qigong from a tape program??? - 02/09/01 04:09 PM
How do you find spring water in the middle of a city? Does bottled water work?

Thanks,
Lomas

Nope, nothing special there Brian. I was looking for something to happen, though I had no real expectations about what might happen. The only things I noticed was that time went by faster than I thought, and that I was slightly disoriented afterwards. Nothing life-changing. And damnit, but I would like something life-changing one of these days! I would really appreciate an epiphany any time now...no? Arg. Well, I did 30mins at around 1am, if it makes any difference. I'm taking the ACT tomorrow, so I'll listen to some stuff tonight and see how it goes.

Regretfully still unenlightened, Tim.

© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement