Posted By: hkably Dangers! - 08/30/03 01:37 AM
Hi!

Go to http://weber.ucsd.edu/%7Ethall/cbs_qigong.html and read the article!

Thanks!

Posted By: Nacho Re: Dangers! - 08/30/03 02:02 AM
--------------
Many participants claim to benefit from these practices; some appear to achieve relief from longstanding physical or psychiatric ailments. Some, however, may develop a syndrome known as qi-gong psychotic reaction, described by DSM-IV as "an acute, time-limited episode characterized by dissociative, paranoid, or other psychotic or non-psychotic symptoms", and that "especially vulnerable are individuals who become overly involved" in qi-gong.
--------------

Bull. ****.

Posted By: hkably Re: Dangers! - 08/30/03 02:06 AM
How about the Kundalini energy? It's freaking me out!
Posted By: Nacho Re: Dangers! - 08/30/03 02:35 AM
Why would you post a link to this biased nonsense?
Posted By: hkably Re: Dangers! - 08/30/03 03:52 AM
...because it's serious and scary!
Posted By: Bryan Re: Dangers! - 08/30/03 04:42 AM
I think it's just someone like a southern baptist who is afraid of anything that isn't in the bible (QiGong or any meditation, Rock and Roll, Television). I had the misfortune of working with one of these so called "Christians", he likes to put other things or people down to make himself seem ever so holy, so I wouldn't worry about it healing energy is constructive energy, not destructive energy.
Posted By: Kaiden Re: Dangers! - 08/30/03 12:24 PM
OK, it does appear that the qigong psychotic raction is real, or at least real enough to be listed on a gov.uk site.

Question seems to be what might cause this. Operational theory seems to be going into the emptiness without coming back fully, so that you experience something akin to a hypogogic/hypnopopic state. The cure would seem to be going fully into the emptiness via a voluntary shut-down of the reticular formation vis-a-vis taking a nap. The natural, instinctive cycle would then move the qigong practioner from a state of complete unconsciousness to a state of full lucidity once the bodymind refreshes itself.

I would also search the archives of this forum if you believe this may become an issue for you. It may be that Spring Forest Qigong is designed in such a way that said psychosis will not occur. Given the length of time that went into this (20+ years) and the intensity of Master Lin's personal practice of qigong, there seems to be a good chance that Spring Forest Qigong is safe even when practiced in excess of six hours per day.

Posted By: gallen Re: Dangers! - 08/30/03 04:33 PM
You will noT have this problem practicing SFQ!! This article is extremely general. As with anything, there are many kinds of qigong out there, and many levels of masters, and so called masters teaching it. One can, of course, do damage to oneself if you are practicing incorrectly, or , if your master is not qualified to deal with what might come up , within your practice. Again, in SFQ, you do not have to be concerned with this syndrome. If you have questions about your experiences within your practice. Ask. Someone at LS will forward your question to Master Lin, if no one can answer it in through this forum.
Kaiden, your statement about not fully coming back, and being spaced out, or in a sort of hypnotic state, relates to proper closing to one's practice session. Harvesting qi at the end of your exercises puts the qi back in the right places, and wakes you up, brings you back fully in the body, etc.,
after practice.
love,
gallen
Posted By: Jeanne Re: Dangers! - 08/30/03 10:39 PM
Folks, the article linked above is nonsense. I have practiced other forms of QiGong for more years than I care to admit (yeah, I'm older than dirt). It is one of the safest practices I know of.

I'm just starting SF, and find it one of the gentler forms of QiGong.

Posted By: Kaiden Re: Dangers! - 08/31/03 04:07 AM
quote:
Originally posted by gallen:
Kaiden, your statement about not fully coming back, and being spaced out, or in a sort of hypnotic state, relates to proper closing to one's practice session. Harvesting qi at the end of your exercises puts the qi back in the right places, and wakes you up, brings you back fully in the body, etc.,

Ah, I understand.

I *have* had intense visuals and tactile sensations concurent with them while doing Small Universe. If such things were to happen in any other context, I would have to wonder if I was going mad. However, I had a feeling I was safe, and experience has shown the truth of my intuition. I think my Masters were doing something with my heart channels, since immediately afterwards my high blood pressure went away, and has been stable ever sense, and I have had none of the same intensity of experience since then.

Now, the skeptic would be quick to point out that perhaps my reduction of blood pressure is more because of my loss of 30 pounds since June. ^__^

Either way, I'm lighter, healthier, and more fun to be around.

Posted By: bungle Re: Dangers! - 09/01/03 01:36 PM
Anyone ever tried Wong Kiew Kits shaolin Qi Gong, what do you think? www.wahnam.com. Thanks
Posted By: Mayflower Re: Dangers! - 09/01/03 03:02 PM
There's people who are mentally ill who try to "help" themselves in every practice. The psychotic reaction is from already being mentally ill when they started. They have a psychotic break and then blame the practice.

Much Qi

Posted By: babayada Re: Dangers! - 09/04/03 08:55 AM
Ummm, how about the possibility that this man (described in the web link) was actually energetically connected to a place where he was receiving information in the form of these hallucinations?

Or perhaps it was a part of him trying to communicate with him in an obtrusive manner?

If someone is doing spiritual practices and they start having hallucinations ... there might be a chance that something pretty amazing is going on. If it isn't interfering with your life in a threatening manner, maybe trying to "cure" it isn't the best thing.

I'm reminded here of the story about Milton Erickosn and the person who had psychotic episodes. He taught the person to go into deep trance and have the episodes in time distortion, so only a few minutes would go by. He then gave the person the option to take the episodes and mail them to him in envelopes. Very creative and respectful approach.

Posted By: Mayflower Re: Dangers! - 09/04/03 06:56 PM
It's a possibility. There are otherwordly beings who appear to people and one would think they are hallucinating instead of believing that the being actually exists.
Posted By: Kaiden Re: Dangers! - 09/05/03 12:41 AM
It's a good idea to assume anything experienced in qigong has meaning, and thus some from of reality. I'll leave ontologists to the exact definition of reality for the time being.

For example, I visualized the Masters' energy going into me through the palms of my hands. When I let one of my Masters know, she told me that the place was connected directly to the heart via qi channels. My blood pressure lowered from high to normal. The most reasonable explanation would be that somehow my inner mind was able to let my conscious awareness know about the changes that were happening within my circulatory system through this visual.

The most important aspect of any communication is the information, not the reality of the communicators.

Posted By: Mayflower Re: Dangers! - 09/05/03 01:48 PM
The mind in essence, controls the body. The mind causes health or disease depending on emotions and or environmental effects.

SFQ and other energy practices such as Yoga enable the mind to be at "cause" instead of "effect" which a lot of us are in at any given point. The mind then releases the blockages using SFQ.

© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement