Posted By: The23rdMan zhan zhuang and SF Qigong - 04/22/06 03:54 PM
Hello fellow travellers :-)

This is my first post here so I'll start by saying a big friendly HI!

Ok, that's that out of the way, now I'll get to my question...

I'm presently practicing shibashi qigong and learning Zhan Zhuang. I'm only at the preliminary stages of ZZ - 5 minutes a day - and wondered if it's compatible with SF?

I'm happy to replace shibashi with SF as I'm looking for a more medical Qigong to facilitate my healing journey, but would like to incorporate ZZ if possible.

Thanks and blessings,

Dean

Posted By: Iam2 Re: zhan zhuang and SF Qigong - 04/23/06 05:17 AM
The23rdMan, Master Lin says it is okay to use other energy systems with SFQ. However, he says that we should allow at least 30 minutes between practicing each system. This is allow the energy to flow in the patterns that each systems establish.

They may both be benificial, but one may work against the other. Allow each system its space to work for you.

You are perfection.
Iam2

Posted By: The23rdMan Re: zhan zhuang and SF Qigong - 04/23/06 05:39 AM
Iam2, Thank you for your reply. I'm glad the systems are compatible as I've been calling out to Source for a medical Qigong compatible with my present practices.

Bless you

Posted By: Steph Re: zhan zhuang and SF Qigong - 04/25/06 04:09 PM
Hello, I just looked up Zhan Zhuang as I wasn't familiar with it by that name, and find that it is a pose that Master Lin actually does demonstrate and suggest in his Qigong for Weight Loss video. So I would see it as perfectly compatible with SFQ. I have done that pose before, it was my first intro to qigong BEFORE I started doing SFQ. Very good and centering, also sometimes good to ACTUALLY hug a tree while doing it. I'm blessed to have a great one in my front yard, perfect for the task - an old, wise very large cedar tree.
Namaste,
Stephanie
Posted By: The23rdMan Re: zhan zhuang and SF Qigong - 04/25/06 04:17 PM
Hi Steph,

Yes, trees are wonderfully grounding entities. I have a litte wood nearby I like to walk in. It's just waking up as spring is in the air in the UK.

Blessings,

Dean

Posted By: shakurav Re: zhan zhuang and SF Qigong - 04/27/06 11:17 PM
Having practiced ZZ in some other Qigong systems, if we are basically talking about postures, my guess is in the "Sitting Meditations" part of SFQ, this works fine.

Chunyi Lin says that you can do these meditations "Sitting, standing or lying down". Well, once we are sitting, standing or lying down, the question becomes, how do we sit, stand or lying down? Where do we put our hands? What about our legs?

Since zhan zhuang is basically standing in a posture, using Small Universe or Self-Concentration in one or more of these postures during our meditations, should work well.

Coincidentally, I have been doing just that for the last week or so. I also do them sitting and lying down. It depends on my day.

Since I am not yet able to do the full lotus posture while sitting of the three options, sitting, standing or lying down, I have felt the most benefit from standing. While standing, I hold the energy ball or one of the other very simple positions of the hands that are featured in ZZ. In my limited experience, there is nothing in a simple posture that by itself is a "different energy system".

If one practices a different form of breathing during the posture, then that would be a different system. But then one would not be doing Small Universe for example.

FWIW B)

Posted By: ajanta Re: zhan zhuang and SF Qigong - 05/12/06 10:43 PM
Hi Steph,
Where can I get this weight loss video that you have mentioned in your post, by Master lin, I can't seem to find it anywhere?! lookin g forward to your reply.

Ajanta

Posted By: EnergyDancer Re: zhan zhuang and SF Qigong - 05/20/06 01:22 AM
Very cool Stephanie!

I've been doing ZZ standing Chi Gung for awhile now, but haven't tried actually hugging a tree yet while "holding the balloon"...on the agenda now! I combine ZZ with my Holosync meditation cd's with great effect.

Hagonee'

Jim
Posted By: drj1000 Re: zhan zhuang and SF Qigong - 05/20/06 08:55 AM
Hi all,

I have just registered on the forums and am based in the UK and I have just started learning ZZ in London, UK. I have also got the Level 1 SFQ course which I have been practicing on and off.

Can the ZZ exercises replace the SFQ active exercises? I find it difficult to find the time to do both sets of active exercises and I find the ZZ exercises more satisfying to do as I seem to be able to feel the energy more quickly and profoundly. However I plan to still continue the SFQ meditations which I can do while commuting etc. From my very limited understanding, the main purpose of ZZ exercise is to open the energy channels in the body and so may have the same function as the SFQ active exercises.

I would be very interested in peoples' thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your help.

David
Posted By: Steph Re: zhan zhuang and SF Qigong - 05/23/06 06:50 PM
to Ajanta,
I'm sorry, I haven't been reading the forum lately, so it's been a while since you asked your question - about where you can get the SFQ for Weight Loss video. I got it at Level I and II class. They bring lots of things for sale to the weekend classes. I don't see it when looking through the website, but I'm betting if you call the SFQ center they'll be able to send you one, or will be able to let you know where you can get one.
(952) 593-5555
or email them with you question on the Contact Us page on the SFQ site.

Sorry to take so long to reply.
Namaste,
Stephanie
© Forum for PhotoReading, Paraliminals, Spring Forest Qigong, and your quest for improvement