Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I'd be interested to hear what people choose for their "other" books...the one that's not exactly on topic, but has relevant skills or metaphoric skills. (Genius Code, p21, "Selecting your books").

For example, for birdwatching, I added a book about learning how to draw, on the assumption that perspective and detail and representation would be relevant skills to identifying field marks.

I sometimes feel like it's a stretch. Eg, learning a programming language, what would a good "other" book be?

Don't worry too much about which books are metaphoric. Even Win states that "a case can be made that [certain] topics are metaphors..." For Direct Learning on a programming language, you could choose a biography written about computer guru Bill Gates, or a book on how to build something, or a book of new terms, maybe a dictionary of some sort. Each of these can be tied in to a programming language, although not directly about the topic.

Good choice for your "other" birding book!

[This message has been edited by Sandy Millies (edited December 12, 2002).]

GoN Offline

Hi

For programming try:
-algorithms books, or some examples
-pseudo-code (it is something like a note code, wich can be used for any programming language)
-read books on diffrent programming languages
-books on the way OS's work/are built...
-addvices from advanced programmers (pgogramming forums);
-code.box.sk ...
-maybe some Math books for examples on Probability and Combination's ?
-biography aim for something like borrow genious etc.

I hope i could help
GoN

OP Offline

Thanks for the responses, they were very helpful.

Since I know how to program (just hadn't learned this language) one of the things I tried was using a language that I _did_ know as the "other" book. This apparently coincided with one of the above suggestions. (Thanks!)

Judging by the last day, things are picking up.

Thanks again. I may revisit it for the next language/environment.

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved