Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#54647 06/08/06 04:26 PM
OP Offline

I am applying for a graduate degree program in Enviromental Education that sounds really awesome and fun. My only reservations are that it is over an hour drive away and gas and time are an issue. But, when I think about doing a different Masters degree online to save gas and time, it feels sad and boring. How can I resolve the reservations about gas and time (away from work, and time with son) for this degree program that I really want (and I can't move closer- son likes his school and living close to dad) ?

lynnlingh #54648 06/08/06 05:12 PM

Dear lynnlingh,
You say that you are applying, which presumably means that you haven't yet gotten to the stage of being offered or even formally accepting a place on the Environmental Education course yet. When you do get to the decision-making stage, perhaps there are alternative attendance options on the programme which you could discuss with your academic adviser. Perhaps you could make up for less attendance by incorporating more study work at home and travelling less (a Masters degree is very independent in the UK, and I'm assuming the same is true in the US).
Also, you say that you cannot move because you want your son to continue living close to his dad - perhaps times when you need to attend contact tutoring are the very times when you could draw most on dad's support and ask him to look after your son then. I understand that you don't want to miss out on time with your son, but from a wider perspective, you could say that your son would in fact benefit more from having a happy fulfilled mum who is doing a course that she finds interesting and motivating - any time that you do end up spending with your son in that context will be even better in terms of quality. You could also find out if there are any grant-aided childcare opportunities through the University.
Also, losing out financially in the immediate term should really end up being compensated for in the longer term due to the fact that you will be more qualified when you finish the course, plus you are more likely to get a higher grade in a subject you enjoy.
Just a few thoughts, but I am sure there are many considerations you have to keep in mind, so good luck in your decision making!
best wishes
Ingrid

Ingrid #54649 06/13/06 04:52 PM
OP Offline

Thank you Ingrid, I have been accepted into the program and it turns out that some of the classes I will be able take close to home, plus my son loves animals and nature and I will be creating lesson plans using that as a platform, and I will be able to involve him in that, plus it just sounds fun, so I am going to go for it. Thanks, take care.

Last edited by lynnlingh; 06/13/06 04:53 PM.
lynnlingh #54650 06/13/06 09:45 PM

That's great news! Good luck with the course and I wish you much success.
best wishes
Ingrid

Ingrid #54651 06/15/06 01:12 PM

Lynnlingh, I came to your thread because of the topic of "congruence". You seem to have settled your issues and made your decision. However, that won't stop me from rambling a bit. When your look at yourself, and figure out what is important to you and see apparent conflicts. You may have to spend a little more time. Then as Ingrid suggested in several ways you find that you can retain your congruency and discover the balance to pursue your direction. Being aware of who your are, what is truly important to you, what you value most, always helps me to establish a healthy balance.

You are perfect.
Iam2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved