Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55140 07/06/06 10:34 PM
kunagi Offline OP
OP Offline

How do you do? My name is Kunagi.
I have learned Photoreading for about 1 month by myself
and please allow me to ask some stupid question...

Let say i am reading a book which is about chemistry level 3
and my purpose is to know about the knowledge in this chemistry book
i photoread the whole book and did mind probing before i rest
and now the question is....
in this chemistry book got three chapter, and it is talking about totally different things...

then what should i do? should i give purpose on these three chapter?
or anything else to do

my english language is suck....hope everybody can get what i mean
thanks for everybody's help

kunagi #55141 07/07/06 01:05 AM

Yes, you need a very clear purpose for chapter 3. I think you should treat that chapter like a separate book. Because textbooks are different from other non-fiction books, you should treat the chapters like individual books.

Also, I activated a chapter from a book which had completely different topics. I also had problems activating it, but Photoread4me told me to set a very clear purpose. I did that and it was easier to activate. I also asked myself very specific questions. This directed my reading and the book was easier to activate.

-Jason

kunagi #55142 07/07/06 03:40 AM

Hi there! Here is a excellent post that Raleigh199 provided in response to a post. I think it definitely applies to your situation. The key to remember here is that you need to continually work on the chemistry problems over & over again.
Photoread4me

" So if I photoread my chemistry books, for example, will i be able to remember those chemical equations? (my teacher said that by the end of the year, there will be atleast 500 equations to learn)
Will i be able to remember the derivations in physics and formulas and solutions in mathematics if i photoread those books rather than sitting and reading and re-reading them again and again so that i don't forget?'"

I agree with everything photoread4rme stated 100%+. I add that, as an A+ student in the hard sciences such as Pchem, Organic Chem, Inorganic chem, Advanced Calculus, Physics, etc. and 2 years of Medical School (Human Physiology (lots of equations), Human Biochemistry, Gross Anatomy,Patholgy/Histology, etc) with Honors Grades:--- that you MUSTget out the slide ruler or calculaor and pencil and paper and work the chemistry ,physiology, math, physics, equations over and over.
Photoreading helps you get that inherent intuitive feeling of why the integral of x dx =xsquared/2 + constant C and it is not just a bunch of squiggly lines where you plug in values. After a while you may be able to do calculus problems in your head without pencil and paper and actually conceptualize concepts like changing 3D cartesian coordiantes into polar coordinates or seeing exactly what a derivative of a slope is consisting of.
Sitting and reading and re-rereading is very nonproductive. Pring and activating is a better use of your time, in my experience. Activating with physics, means actively solving equations, so there should be more calculating going on than reading. Probably there should be twice as much time dedicated to working out equations, as there is to sitting down and conceptualizing the theories. So if you PR the chapter for 20 minutes, you should spend 40 minutes doing the sample problems at the end of the chapters or the problems in your companion workbook ( that you must always buy even if the professor doesn't require it). That is if you want to make beyond mediocre grades!!

"How can someone enter PhotoFocus while browsing through a shop? or a gallery?"

I do it all the time! I decide which books I want to take home and really digest by PRing them at galleries and bookstores. Many times, I get the gist of the book without having to buy it. The books I do decide to buy, end up being books that change my life with almost as much impact as a Paul Scheele weekend seminar!

"How can i state my purpose and create mindmaps photoreading novels which we just read for pleasure??"

I just photoread The Devil Wears Prada, by Laura Weisberger. My purpose was to see how the protagonist (Miranda Priestly) deals with a "boss from hell" and since the book had so many rave reviews, it is coming out as a movie this week, I wanted to learn what the public finds interesting about the protagonist's approaches to life.

I also photoread Matt Stover's Revenge of the Sith to compare it to the recent movie. I am a Star Wars Fan, big time, so excuse the enthusiasm of my insights into Matt Stover's rendition of Revenge of the Sith. Upon my first PR run, I realized the book had much more to offer than the movie. My purpose then changed for the second PR layer, to compare the different emphases in the book and movie. I realized there was a lot more good in some of the antagonist's (e.g. Count Dooku, Anakin Skywalker) than the movie pointed out and that the chief protagonists (Obi Wan Kenobi ,Mace Windu, and Master Yoda) were more restricted and even ignorant in their viewpoints, although in the end they realized and accounted for their mistakes.

I will be really eager to see the Devil Wears Prada and compare it to the book.
I am PRing Lake House , by Patterson now, as that book goes on the screen this Friday. I am just PRing it for fun and no purpose, but to enjoy the movie more, as I really like both actors (Reaves and Bullock). I have little interest in the subject matter of the movie, so I am just PRing this book to expand my horizons and read something out of the norm of my usual genres: ( Sci Fi & Fantasy, Spirituality/Religion, HIstory, Psychology, Cognitive Science, Allopathic (traditional FDA approved) Medicine and Alternative Medicine, etc..).

" If i photoread my textbooks, should i keep on doing it frequently? because I feel that due to the vastness of the portions, the tendency to forget increases
"

Photorea4meIis correct. You will not be able to develop memory by simply photoreading books. However the subconscious and OTC mind keep processing it, so that sooner or later your conscious mind is going to get the AHA experience ( "spooky activations") from repeatly photoreading books especially books that are complex or difficult. Again, this must not replace the necessary supperreading, skittering, and dipping phases, as well as keep working on the problems. However, your study time to comprehend the material will be greatly reduced and your level of inherent comprehension and internalization of the material will be greater than you can ever imagine. That has bben my experience.

Good luck! May the Force be with you! oops there I go spooky activating Matt Stover's writings again (LOL).

photoread4me #55143 07/07/06 08:50 AM
kunagi Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for all of you who concern about this post!!
so the key is i need to define a very clear purpose for those chapter and work much on the chemistry question.
really thanks, this question has really burdened me for a long time.

hoho i have to work hard on studying and using photoreading. a month before i headed a physics test, but i only have approximately one day time to read it. this for me is really impossible as i am lack of knowledge and exercises. Suddenly i saw the photoreading book by Paul Scheele that i left three years before. i thought i have AT LEAST learned how to photoread a book for about one year and another two years is empty for photoread.

Because of the spirit of adventurer, i decided to take risk by photoreading my physics book. I used about 3~5 minutes to ONLY PHOTOREAD the book, and go to sleep on 12am. I have be in this world for about 17 years and this is the earliest time i sleep before the day of the mid-year exam.

In the next day, i came to school and i knew that i am going to head a physics test which included question of totally eight chapter. I also knew that what i have done on yesterday, turn the page of physics textbook for about 3~5 minutes and read NOTHING. and now i have to challenge these question with 3~5 minutes revision.

When i got the paper, i got stunned with those question, definitely. However, i work hard on my thinking and wrote any answer that "might be possible and available" for the question. I ended test with the absolute feeling of miserable and little hope. I thought i wont believe photoreading anymore, at least for some years.

After two weeks, the teacher passed my paper to me, i saw it with the amazement. I am always the last student in the class and this time i passed my physics with 57%! and this is the best score of my physics test in my two-year life of higher school (sounds pitiful hehe). Well i thanked to God, but i already forgot about photoreading.

Then i continued my life (hehe sorry, hard to explain), and i got the moral paper and history paper and i am happy because i passed it with flying colour. Then the question begins to come in my mind, "what has made me passed this test with flying colour? i didnt STUDY IT, NOT EVEN ONE CHAPTER !" then i start to think about what i have did in my revision. i listed out all paper and finally i realized that i didnt study History, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Moral during my time of revision( hehehe sorry ><"). But the difference is , i got high marks in History, Physics and moral test but got low marks in chemistry and bioloy test. Then what has made this great difference? Photoread! i have photoread the physics , history and moral in my time of revision but i didnt apply photoreading skill on my biology and chemistry! I got really excited and found that the photoreading is true and a reliable reading skill! Thank God for giving me this reading skill

Hehe now i work hard to study photoreading everyday. I introduced it to my friend who is greater than me in the exam but he would only like to hear and didnt tend to learn photoreading wholemind system. Others also told me that i am wasting my time on this funny stuff. Well, i know what i am doing and i believe photoreading is a great tool for learning! And now what i want to say to my friends is "My dearest friends, i have introduced and shared this great skill to all of you in my learning time and please do not blame me when all of you discovered the benefit of photoreading in later time."

Last edited by kunagi; 07/07/06 10:01 AM.
kunagi #55144 07/10/06 05:58 AM
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Textbooks. Treat each chapter of the book as a book itself. So you will need to establish a clear purpose for each of the chapters.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved