Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I know this is a very subjective issue, but I wonder what people feel here is better, doing more times throughout the day, or taking more time in one block.

For example, I often do 2 hours (about and hour of active and an hour of Small Universe) in the morning and then maybe I get to do another shorter session (half hour to an hour) in the evening or afternoon.

But would it be better to try and break that up throughout the day and try and do 3 sessions, maybe an hour in the morning, a half hour in the afternoon and an hour in the evening.

I know there are two competing goods here: the issue of doing the entire "4 seasons" cycle that can take place over 2 hours and the value of doing more sessions throughout the day.

And then of course, there is the issue of the "prime times" for doing Qigong, e.g. the two 12 o'clocks (and I assume and I think I asked a Learning Strategies SFQ coach on the phone, that this means Standard time and not daylight time. I.e. It means 1 o'clock AM & PM during Daylight Savings Time, right?).

So I assume there is more than one way to deal with this and of course, we have to use our intuition. But I really would like to hear feedback from people who have been doing this for awhile, what is the best "bang for your buck", so to speak visa vis use of time.

Thanks in advance...

blessings,

Steve

Dear shakurav,

Personally, I prefer shorter sessions. Also, after many, many years of
practice of many, many different Qi-based systems, I've come to realize
that the external, physical motions taught in any of these systems are not
important. The core "truths" in Qi are breathing and meditation (which
includes visualization, concentration, inner quietude.) Everything else
is tapestry ... only the means to teach the core truths. Once the core
truths are integrated into one's being, every breath and motion of one's
life are seamless practices and expressionsof Qi. Hopefully in time, you
will come to the same realization.

Best,

HF

OP Offline

No, that makes sense, HF. I appreciate that answer. I am coming to some of that realization already.

I must admit that when I first heard Chunyi Lin say in Level I that many high level qigong practitioners do twice as much sitting meditation as active exercise, I was surprised. But now I can see the truth in that.

I too have practiced Qigong for some years (though not many and not many different systems, only about 4). And though I think I opened up some channels through my practice, I also was lax in my practice for intervals of years in between.

So where I am now, I do need some of the active exericise to open me up (and I also need some exercise in general! I have begun to get back into my Tai Chi Chuan sets. I have not begun the fast sets yet (from Tung Family, Yang Style), but I am doing my slow set right and left and short set of broadsword).

But I read you loud and clear and intuitively I know you are correct.

In terms of time alloted, I always try to make sure I do at least a one to one ratio of active to sitting (or standing) meditation. Many days I do one to two active to meditation. And I can see and feel that it is in the meditation where the real work is.

Thanks for your input and for sharing your experience and learning.

All the best,

Steve

blessings,

Steve
Learning Strategies
Learning Strategies

Aloha shakurav,

Depends. In the beginning it can take some time to "prime the pump" and quite down, which is where doing a long set helps. What's the "begining?" It can be the first day or frst year, 2, or 3 later.

The active exercises are active because the movement give a focus for the mind and body, as well as assists in opening channels just from going through the postures. This is very helpful, especialy for those starting qigong.

The actice exercises also helps one go deeper in their sitting mediation.

Walking qigong, sleeping qigong, blessing your food, working on others, and doing good things for others while living from Love, Kindness, and forgiveness, one integrates Spring Forest Qigong into their life, rather than finding their 30, 45, 60 or 120 minutes to exercises.

Much Love, Shawn

OP Offline

Thanks, Shawn! That is a great answer and makes perfect sense to me on all levels.

I do find the need at this beginning level I am at (which may indeed be a year or years) to do as much active exercise as possible to help me heal. I am dealing with some serious migraines and stress right now and one of the only things keeping me going is doing from 1 and half to 3 hours of SFQ every day.

I really appreciate your insight, experience and wisdom.

All the best,
Steve

blessings,

Steve

sharkurav, you've gotten great responses. However, I want to share the thought that came to my mind, just from reading your subject line.

Yes, you want to be aware, open, connected to the universe all the time. However, I that the More time or Times to be in reference to actual meditation practice. To me this is a question of where you put your energy is where you get your results.

In my perceptions, more times would mean that I am clearing my channels more often and connecting to the universe more often. To me this is helping myself to be in a healthier state. While more time, means longer and eventually deeper meditations.

So to me both are right, depending on what you wish to create. If you want to focus on your health then do the more often. If you want to develop your ability with qi then do the longer meditations. Now just to clear things up with some mud, these two variations are not clearly one or the other. In time I believe that each would bring you to about the same place. However, what is the balance you wish to create in your life.

You are perfection.
Iam2

OP Offline

Thanks, UR (or Iam, as the case may be! ). That is very helpful. For now, based on the answers I have received from you and others, I am going to try and keep a goal of about 2 hours in the morning and then at least one or two more shorter sessions throughout the day.

I think I need one long session to start the day and then some "booster shots" throughout the day.

Thanks again.

Blessings,

Steve

blessings,

Steve

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved