Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55209 07/11/06 06:43 AM
ked Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi all --
Haven't been to this forum for a while. I became pretty sufficient at photo reading last summer, able to get the "gist" of my heavy academic reading. Probably not as detail oriented as if I had read my old way, but I got my purpose accomplished of being able to discuss the material sufficiently in class, etc.

Six to nine months have passed since I've done any serious reading because I am taking a vacation from college, and have been too busy to read much on my own. This past spring (for us in the northern hemisphere), I made an effort to do some pleasure reading. I read novels a bit faster than I previously did, but still nothing faster than 30 seconds a page or so. Nice enough, I still notice a difference between when I photoread a book first and when I don't, so that's comforting.

But I feel like I've lost the motivation to read. I have a few months right now where I could really master PR and incorporate it into my life because I don't have any stress or any academic reading that might make learning the system difficult, but although I enjoying reading novels here and there, I can't get the motivation to absorb non-fiction books that I need to desperately practice on.

Anyway, I guess this post is wandering, but I wanted to know if anyone had advice for what types of books to read, if you found you wanted to read more after getting better at PR, or what motivates you to read?

I know that I can incorporate PR into my life, I have been on the verge of success a couple of times, but it has yet to "click." I think perhaps the best way would to make it click would be to really stick to that strict program of PR-ing 10 books a day and activating one per week?

ked #55210 07/12/06 05:34 PM

Just a suggestion:
I would photoread books on something
technical that I really really was motivated
to learn more about for fun.
It need not be academic;
it could be books on how to grow a better backyard flower garden
or how to get along better with your in-laws (LOL)
As long as it is something that is a bit technical ( i.e. not a pleasure novel)
and something that you really feel a need and desire to learn more about.

This is just my suggestion

Raleigh199

raleigh199 #55211 07/13/06 04:56 AM

Try PR-ing in a book store (newor used) and see what might motivate you mary16

mary16 #55212 07/17/06 10:20 AM
Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

It isn't about motivation alone. Purpose is an important part of it... what's your purpose behind wanting to get the skill on non-fiction books... If the answer is to have more free time... then you're in a loop.

The way to have more free time is not to start anything new or different in the first place. Dig deeper why do you want to PhotoRead or read non-fiction books?

Find your reason you find your motivation. What motivates you is the reward you expect to get from your effort.

You could make it a game... then the reward is fun... what fun new facts can you learn from a non-fiction book that interests you?

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved