Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Chetan Offline OP
OP Offline

After preparing the spine of a book, how do you hold the book? The explanation on CD just doesn't do it for me. I can't seem to keep the book at a 90-degree angle to my eyes without getting out of state because my left hand propping up the book gets tired, and if I keep the book on the table I can't look on it head-on. Do I have to use a lower desk or something? Any help would be appreciated.

I like the book at a 45degree angle. You can use a book stand or just place another book below the top of the spine.

Chetan Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a book stand but it makes turning the pages difficult. I'll try your second suggestion, though. Thanks!

I hold a book like I normally do, sitting in comfortable reading chair with one leg crossed over the other and the book placed on my thigh. Perfect.

3DLifestyle

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Some people like to pull the chair back and prop it against the edge of the table. This allows them to look at their foot for photofocus at the same time.

You're allowed to try different positions. Propping it against something makes it easier by taking the weight. Works on bookshelves in the bookshops too.

Then a chair with an armrest is comfortable too. It takes the strain off the shoulder by placing the book on your thigh and resting your arm on the armrest.

I recommend experimenting. Only on the larger books that take more than 5 minutes to PhotoRead do I find it necessary to sit at a table.

Although formal posture is one of the things that help your speed and I strongly recommend it for all the other steps.

Alex

I just bought a Fellowes BookLift Copy holder (book stand) and really like it.

I am constantly studying at a desk at home or a table in the library and just putting another book (or five) does not give me the angle that is comfortable or conducive to PhotoReading. This stand allows me to adjust through a full 50-60 degrees and only cost $10 at the university bookstore. It is compact and light enough to carry in my backpack or leave in my locker. Other stands sold there had page clips that seriously got in the way of rapid page turning.
Another option would be the Necksaver II, available at http://www.thattechnicalbookstore.com/bx92018.htm. Although it is three times the price and bulkier (about the size of a TV tray top), it is more sturdy which would be ideal for keeping at home.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved