Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55258 07/15/06 07:29 AM
ked Offline OP
OP Offline

So after writing a post about needing motivation, I think maybe the post itself helped motivate me. I thought, hey I should just get up and try the process again on books that truly interested me. I went to the bookstore (thanks for the tip) and PR-ed some of the popular books.

I did some longish (30-40 minute) passes on a couple books and felt like I was absorbing them. It was amazing how quickly the system came back to me after not having used it in a while. Some books one pass was enough, others sparked my curiousity more. Either way, it's a much more efficient way of reading -- getting what you need out of it.

However, it left me with a disconcerting question: what happens when what you need out of a book doesn't interest you? Most books it seems that I do for pleasure only require a couple passes and the system works beautifully. But whenever I need to read a book for academic purposes -- I need details, full comprehension, ability to infer what the author means but isn't writing, etc. Do you just keep doing passes and mind mapping until you get the level of detail you need? Often times I see people in class who have underlined text and use it when discussing something in class. Because my academic system (U.S. university) praises quoting a text over broad understanding, this seems to work well for them. Meanwhile, I can photoread a book, understand the main point a lot better than them, but may not be able to pin point a certain quote. Thoughts?

ked #55259 07/15/06 07:16 PM

That's something I'd like to know as well. I'm currently studying and I find that photoreading academic material isn't as easy as other non-academic books.

I also wonder what the photoreading system has to say about reading books that have some really deep material that generally requires some serious contemplation.

JasonC #55260 07/17/06 10:38 AM
Learning Strategies Admin

Okay you're faced with books that don't interest you... what's your purpose? Why are you studying it if it doesn't interest you. (Not challenging you asking you to think so you can get in touch with your purpose).

Once you know why you're studying and have a purpose Buckle down and apply the whole system. Create a schedule similar to the 5-day test and build your knowledge by being active as you go through the material. It's important for this stuff that you create mind maps. It helps you to stay focused and gives you something to review when exams come around (That's usually the reason people read books they are not interested in).

The goal is never to know it all. That's impossible and pointless if you're not interested in it. Knowing enough to pass the exam... doesn't take much when you add a little structure to your approach. Which is why I suggest looking at something like the 5-day test.

Alex

ked Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the suggestions Alex. I guess I just need to find the motivation to put the hard work in when reading doesn't motivate me as often.

What would your response be to citing specifics quotes or examples from the text when discussing something in class? How would a photoreader approach this situation?

ked #55262 08/10/06 11:05 AM

Mind maps. You learn they don't have to be works of art. They can be scrappy as anything. But a word with a few marks (call them symbols if you like) can bring back details because the marks are like tying a piece of string around your finger to remember to buy the milk on the way home.

If it's in your purpose to include quotes and examples they will naturally find their way onto mind maps.

Another piece of advise... change your vocabulary your choice of words "hard work" is de-motivating and why must it be hard?

Consider it an enjoyable challenge and you'll notice it doesn't take much to get motivated. How you express yourself to others like how you write a message in your post is a good insight what you are non-consciously telling yourself about a task you face.

Hard work? Thinking so makes it so. Thinking that robs you of motivation. When you look for your purpose you're also looking for the challenge and fun you can have with learning.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved