Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I have tried - unsuccessfully, thus far - to convert my tapes to mp3 format, which is much more convenient for me. I have the proper cable, I have the program working, but my sound card appears to have a problem - and I can't afford to buy another at the moment. This leads me to a couple of questions.

1. Does anyone out there have the paraliminals in mp3 format who would feel comfortable sending me the files? Yes, I do own my own copy of most of them, so I do have a legitimate right to have them in other formats for my personal use.

2. Why doesn't LSC have them available in mp3 format for immediate download when they're being purchased? I'm offering this as a suggestion. As someone who doesn't live in the US, I have to pay extra charges for shipping, plus I have to pay duty and taxes when the products arrive. If they were available for download, I wouldn't have to pay any of that, and it would certainly make a considerable price difference. As well, I have had to wait up to three weeks thus far for my packages to arrive - I'd really rather have them sooner.

I'd like to see this as an option. Tapes are bulky, the sound degrades with use, and to be honest with you, I had to buy myself a tape player for the paraliminals - I haven't listened to tapes for years, otherwise.

Anyone? Anyone?

Administrator
Administrator

By compressing paraliminals into mp3 you lose risk losing the stereo quality and spatial sound that went into the development of the tapes. To ensure that mp3 format works the file would have to remain over 60meg for the average paraliminal. Not everyone in the world can afford the bandwith to download and for some connections one parraliminal would take 25 hours.

Listen to mp3 with hearing aids... they sound crappy so I prefer tape or CD myself.

Alex

OP Offline

Having them on CD would work fine with me, but I still have to convert them over, and I still have the same problem.

Thanks for the comments about sound quality. I wasn't aware it was such an issue with the paraliminals. My hearing isn't the greatest, and to be truthful, I can't tell the difference oftentimes between an excellent stereo system and a crappy one.

LSC still doesn't offer the paraliminals on CD, which I would have ordered had there been a choice.

quote:
Originally posted by AlexK:
To ensure that mp3 format works the file would have to remain over 60meg for the average paraliminal. Not everyone in the world can afford the bandwith to download and for some connections one parraliminal would take 25 hours.

For 60 mb, I don't think it's an mp3 anymore. MP3s are compressed 90% from their original .wav format. They are superior in a way that they save incredible amounts of space and allow transfer of files with much more ease. However, Alex is right about the MP3 quality. Although it does sound like cd quality, there will always be that loss in quality. However, some are excellent conversions while others are outright terrible. MP3s are measured in bitrates, and usually anything from 128 kbps and above are good. I also agree that LSC should sell paraliminals on CDs. But MP3s aren't bad either. They're will probably be more of a loss in quality transfering the paraliminal to a tape than a MP3. And the loss is essentially infinitsmally small. Besides quality on a tape degrades over time but a MP3 does not. I think LSC sells paraliminals on tape in order to prevent piracy or backups. (Yea...I tried to make backups of my paraliminals, but it doesn't work.)

Joel

Administrator
Administrator

Remember that most paraliminals are about 20 to 30 minutes long...songs are an average of 3 minutes and weigh in at 1 to 2 megs in mp3 format so 60 meg is still excellent compression.

Alex

honestly, i put them on CD without converting them to .wav, but i converted them afterwards in order to save HD space. I have some paraliminals on .mp3, so tell me what ones you bought and i may send you them if possible.

OP Offline

Sorry for the delayed response - I've been off-list for a while. Thanks for the offer. I'll email you off-list with the details.

OP Offline

Neo-Matrix,

I sent an email to the addie that shows up on your post, but I haven't had a reply. Is there another email address I should use?

Alternatively, is there anyone else out there willing to help me out?

yes, im sorry i didnt reply. i meant to find the files and then find you to send them, but it seems i deleted those mp3's when i got my new computer. i only saved files i needed and i guess i accidentally left those out. hope you can get help from someone else, sorry.

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved