Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55379 07/25/06 05:49 AM
Locky Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello all,

I have recently read the PhotoReading book and have decided to put it to the test. I am currently in my first year at University, in my second semestre, studying a Bachelor of Information Technology and majoring in Business Information Systems.

In the first semestre I gained reasonable results, scoring two passes, a credit and a distinction. I scored 57 and 60 in Professional Communications and Discrete Mathematics, respectably. Alternatively, I also scored 68 in Digital and Analog Systems and 75 in Principles of Professional Programming 1.

This gives me an overall average mark of 65 ((57 + 60 + 68 + 75) / 4). I had not set study routine, although I did study for the tests, and my plan is to use PhotoReading on my set texts and lecture notes, a minimum of twice a week. Once on a Wednesday and once on a Friday, and any additional times I can fit in. All lecture notes will be PhotoRead before lectures.

My semestre starts next week and I plan to keep you all updated with my doings and results throughout the term. I do not plan to study "harder" than I did the previous semestre, but more so study "smarter" than I did in the previous semestre.

I will post all of my examination results at the end of the semestre.

The subjects I have undertaken are Programming Principles 2, Introduction to Analysis and Design, Statistics for Science and finally Accounting Information for Managers.

So here goes, time to start my journey into the world of PhotoReading. =)

If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to post within this thread. Hope to hear your opinions and gain much insights into the world of PhotoReading.

Regards,

L. Lock

Photoreading really doesn't have to be that structured or scheduled. Planning on which days you will do it or not do it or test it or whatever really isn't the point.

It really would be best used WHILE you are sitting in class. The PR step can be used the night before or even better yet, PR every textbook you are using and ask your dreams to "play" with the information subconsciously. Use the classes as activation sessions. Superread, Dip and MindMap during the class. That way when you study you can devote all your time to memorizing everything you need to.

There's alot of "down" time and distractions during classes, use that time for quick activation passes and when the teacher is really focusing, then focus totally on him/her. You don't have to be in a "trance" to do PR or activation, just a mild alpha state and that's easy to achieve even in a noisy classroom.

I wish I had PR when I was in school, I would have done alot better and I probably would be in a totally different career than I am now.

I wish you luck!

Coldrayne

Locky Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello ColdRayne,

Thank you for that great advice, I was actually thinking along the same lines of PhotoReading the textbooks and the lecture notes, but your theory of using it in class is intriguing.

I think my PhotoReading skills are not yet up to scratch, I recently tried to PhotoRead a book, by performing the first three steps, Preparing, Previewing and then PhotoReading, and now I've been trying to Activate by asking myself questions, so far not much has come up, but only time will tell.

Do you use MSN? I would love to chat with you on a more live basis, and that goes for any other PhotoReaders out there, as osmosis is a great way of learning anything!

Regards,

L. Lock

I don't use MSN or anything like that because I'm online at odd times. I think it's best to just use this forum because that way we have a permanent record of what was said so that everyone can see it and chime in when it's convenient for them. Plus, you can search old posts that you've posted and you can see how far you've come. Of course, you can search old posts now and see that many people have already asked and had answers to some things that haven't crossed your mind yet about PR.

Use photoreading to save time. Use the classes to activate what you PR the night before. Write down your questions during class and ask them of the professor. His answers will start to trigger your memory. Plus you've got the book in front of you in classs anyway. You've also got the other students asking questions maybe you haven't thought of. Make every class an activation pass. Mind Map during class along with traditional notes. All of this multiple exposure will guarantee you'll learn faster than all the other students in your class.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

If activation isn't working it usually means you lack a purpose. So the mind probing questions are superficial, what does x mean when the meaning of x is insignificant in relation to your purpose. Or what does the author have to teach me about [title of the book]. Those questions don't work at all if you have no purpose.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved