Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#55602 08/10/06 07:04 PM
OP Offline

Hi,

I've tried to set my purpose for a book as "What's in it for me?". Something strange happened. While in the first pass super reading, I found an urge to dip in a paragraph. I started reading it, I was confused at first why did I dip this?! but in the last sentence of that paragraph I found an answer for a question that I've been looking for an answer for for a long time and it is totally irrelevent to the topic of the book!

Was this a cooinsidence or WIIFM really works as a purpose?

I'd like to know everyone's opinion, especially Alex.

thx

What's in it for me doesn't sound like a purpose. A purpose is having a specific goal or outcome. My purpose is to get such and such information from this book so that i can do such and such with this information. That is a purpose. Just saying what's in it for me is not a purpose because there is no goal and there is no outcome and there is nothing about doing anything with the information from the book.
Photoread4me

OP Offline

Yes, but what I mean is something like this:
"I'm reading this book to extract all information that might be interesting for me according to my current background in order to enjoy/use/... whatever"

Does this make sense? And does your reply mean that my mentioned experience was just a coinsindense?

Any other suggestions anyone?

thx

I'm reading this book to extract all information that might be interesting for me according to my current background in order to enjoy/use/... whatever"

That doesn't sound like a purpose to me.

I do not think your experience was a coincidence. I think your mind was searching for that information previously and your other than conscious mind came across that information when you photoread it and your mind knew you were looking for that information before.
Photoread4me

OP Offline

hmm...

I'm not really sure but I don't think so, because that was a very old question that I found it's answer! but it might be like you said. thank you.

any other contributions?

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Actually the WIIFM is the question I have in mind when I PhotoRead books in the bookshop. My "purpose" is to find anything useful to me that is relevant to me in my life right now or in the near future. I don't need to make a long prose like that anymore when I establish my purpose and when I am PhotoReading books it's nearly always my starting point and first purpose when I pick up a book.

WIIFM is the one of the first relevant mind probing question based the purpose of deciding if there is any point in proceeding further with this book.

No. WIIFM isn't a purpose, it is a mind probing question and as you have pointed out the reason it worked is you had an underlying purpose even if it Was difficult to explain in a way that showed others that you did have a purpose.

Alex

Alex

OP Offline

Thank you Alex, I guess that this answered my question.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved