Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
JasonC Offline OP
OP Offline

I've learned the PRWMS several months back and while I haven't used it very consistently, I realize that regular reading just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

I don't exactly find myself using all the steps of the system in every instance, but I tried regular reading a single chapter and my mind constantly veered off in other directions. I kept trying to refocus, but it's like my mind just wanted to do something else.

mindprobing, with superreading/dipper by comparison is so much faster.

I actually thought I wasn't much of a photoreader, since I haven't experienced spontaneous activation, but it's clear to me that the system is far more efficient for reading than the regular method. Mind probing consistently keeps my mind focused on my purpose.

I also read some portsion of a chapter from an NLP book titled, "Dynamic Learning" by Robert Dilts. He basically modelled a speed reader using NLP, and much of the skills mentioned in it parallel photoreading (establishing a set purpose, getting into the appropriate state, previewing, etc), though the system is clearly different. The speedreader apparently reads at 10,000 wpm, and as he reads, he technically doesn't read at all. He simply gets images on his mind and his only complaint is that he can't turn pages fast enough. The book even mentions the Photoreading Whole Mind System as a footnote to denote there is a difference between this gentleman's approach and the Photoreading approach. I also recall some comments devoted to processing information unconsciously (similar to the actual photoreading step) in relation to one's purpose.

I certainly believe that the Photoreading works, but having experienced NLP in my life, it was great to see that Robert Dilts has come up with a method that further validates the techniques of the photoreading whole mind system.

I also found it important to note that beliefs about reading play a major role in how a person reads. Some people on this msg board apparently do not believe that it's possible to go through a book so quickly to acquire all the needed information.

Thoughts?

-Jason

When you read, there's no need to drink in every single detail.

Authors write to pass on general impressions and ideas.

Absorb that- skip the detail, and photoreading should work for you.

JasonC Offline OP
OP Offline

Would you recommend that with reading technical material? I don't know if I can simply skip over details, since the details are precisely what I need to pass my exams.

I'd really like your thoughts on this because the 4-11% doesn't really seems to apply for school related material, since they're written differently from typical non-fiction books.

Thanks

-Jason

Last edited by JasonC; 10/17/06 05:03 PM.
Learning Strategies Admin

On the contrary the 4 to 11% applies to textbooks too. Much of it is repetition. Example after example, especially in technical books. The idea is to consciously focus on the examples that help your conscious mind get it faster. You don't need them all.

Also what they mean by the 4-11% is words like ... like, is, and, or, but, if, so, do, be, what, really, from...carry no real meaning... text is loaded with that.

When you read you read for meaning, you can get by only reading 4 to 11% of the text to get the meaning. Since PhotoReading has already exposed your mind to ALL the text, how can you believe you will miss anything?

I've had people tell me, "Alex it didn't work. I missed the important information."

I asked, "How do you know you missed it? "
Reply, "It didn't feel right, something made me go back and read it slowly. See, I can't photoread."

"My dear friend. Instead of telling yourself lies that you can't PhotoRead you ought to be congratulating yourself on your success. You knew something was wrong. You followed the inner voice to double check. How would you know that there was something wrong in your conscious understanding if PhotoReading didn't work? It shone like a lighthouse beacon that your conscious mind missed something and sent you back to it. I say that's brilliant. Because ultimately you fulfilled your purpose and did it accurately in less time. How often have you missed the obvious with traditional reading and there was no nagging doubt to spur you to re-read what you consciously misunderstood?"

You miss a lot less with PhotoReading because your non-conscious mind gets to play first.

Alex

JasonC Offline OP
OP Offline

Alex,

That quote you shared is brilliant! That was precisely my experience today! I'm often left feeling I missed something, so I'd back up and slow down to discover that I found something significant!

I've been photoreading all my required readings for each class, and I'm not sure I still agree with the 4-11%. I'm taking philosophy courses and there's just tons of material for me to go through. I know when to skip certain details/examples, but there are times when I need to know the details/examples.

Because the material isn't too easy, I've been Photoreading the required readings for each class as opposed to doing entire books at a time. It seems to be far more managable. Plus it's helping me get better aquainted with the system even though I've been using it for quite some time.

I treat each section or chapter like an article. Articles always seemed much more readable and less daunting than books. So I think this is helping me overall. I'm quite happy that I'm saving a lot of time.

-Jason

JasonC #56438 10/18/06 10:40 PM
JasonC Offline OP
OP Offline

I recently noticed something significant about myself, which was hindering me from activating several weeks back.

Basically, I'm the type of person who tends to think is sequential order. non-linear/non-chronological learning is something that really bothers me. This has been an obstacle in activation, since I wanted to know everything all at once (which is unrealistic) and I wanted it in order.

In NLP terms, this is a metaprogram describing the difference between 'Options' as opposed to 'Procedures'. Procedures refers to those who think sequentially. Options refer to those who think creatively and thus non-linearly. For me to do things non-linearly would give me a headache at times, simply because I wasn't used to it.

So, I get the impression that beginning Photoreaders who tend to be more sequential will have to work on getting used to non-linear thinking/learning. Otherwise, they'll feel really uncomfortable

-Jason

JasonC #56439 10/19/06 07:02 AM

Philosophy isn't just reading... it's thinking and analysing what it means to you. The words that carry meaning are still only 4 to 11% it's up to you to explore that... that isn't exactly reading it's coming to analysing. The advantage of PhotoReading and then slowing down as needed, you still read faster than traditional analysing speed.

Traditional readers are sequential readers because that's how they learned to read. If they got a word wrong, Miss Bullet you elementary reading teacher made you go back and start over again and read it correctly.

The mind can easily handle non sequential thinking. Sequential thinking bores it. If it didn't school wouldn't be so boring. Listening to an instructor drone on sequentially when the mind is ready to go a different direction.

People find sequential reading boring too. Most never got beyond the third chapter of a book.

The reason it's difficult for learners of PhotoReading to shift is they had 5 to 50 years of experience reading the traditional way from page 1 to 2 to 3 etc. They feel guilty for breaking the rule that if you miss a word you have to go back. If you miss a page you have to go back.

If you ever had to write an outline you notice that the mind doesn't think linearly, you will find you have to go back and squeeze something in you left out before. No, guilt makes them more uncomfortable than going with the flow of the way the mind operates.

Alex

JasonC Offline OP
OP Offline

Alex,

Thanks for sharing again. I like what you said about 'no guilt'. I used to feel so awkward skipping pages, but I notice the guilt doesn't creep up on me anymore. In fact the system as a whole is becoming more natural. I think I've made considerably more progress in Photoreading than I thought

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved