Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

My course materials arrived yesterday and I began listening to the CDs. When I got to the dictionary exercise a word came to my mind clear as day on the bottom left of the dictionary. The word was "abject". It has such negative connotations, that I tried to push it away. Only problem is that it wasn't in the dictionary! Had it have been there, it would have been on the bottom left page.

When I couldn't see another word, I felt like an abject failure. The only other word that came was conjecture. I wasn't even close as to its location, but at least it was in the dictionary.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

Orelindel

Learning Strategies Admin

Try thinking reverse psychology.

You decided you were probably going to fail so a word popped in your mind that wasn't in the dictionary. Then a second attempt because the first one made you think you failed and another word not in the dictionary.

Perfect score you wanted to prove to yourself that you probably can't do it and so you picked two words that were not possible to find in the book.

A bit of a paradox because to make sure you couldn't do it it had to use words that weren't there... how did your mind know it that those words would be impossible for you to find?

Think about it.. It's a sneaky trick your mind is trying to play;)

Don't worry too much about the dictionary game. It's a game. Just continue with the rest of the course.

Alex

OP Offline

Hi Alex,

Mind games indeed! Imagine the odds of picking a word not in a dictionary. I was shocked! I'm going to dust myself on and keep going.

My second word conjecture means: A guess or conclusion based on incomplete evidence. Rather than dissuade me, my experience has made me more determined. The mind is a powerful resource. I must learn to tap into the possibilities.

Thank you!

Orelindel

You might want to search the forum.

I did it myself. first guess the word and the page number. Next two words in the right place. I decided it was a fluke and doubted I could do it again. The next three words I picked were not in the book ... 100% according to my expectation.

There is nothing to dissuade. You got exactly what your mind was looking for. In other words you always already tap it according to your belief and expectation. Always have and always will.

Alex

OP Offline

Hi Alex,

I will search the forum this morning. I know it's all in my head! I believe that our brains/thoughs are like powerful dynamic rivers or oceans. If we can learn how to work with them, we will succeed at anything we set out to do.

Thanks again,

Orelindel

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved