Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56980 11/11/06 03:17 PM
dmlocke Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,

I am about sit a CIW web design exam. It is multiple choice and is based on a workbook that comes with the course. It is 60 questions and you need a 75% pass mark. Basically, I need to know everything in the book for the exam because the questions are totally spontaneous.

I was warned in the forum before about trying to learn everything from a book, but in my case, I actually do need to know everything in the book; every detail!!

Couple of key questions:
What is the best way to use photoreading so that I can know all the information in the book for the exam?

What would an appropriate purpose be?

As I need to know all the details from the book, would I be better using:

Purpose, photoread then rapid read and mind mapping?

I would appreciate your help.

Regards
Dmlocke

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

If you only need 75% to pass obviously you don't need to know everything in the book.

The best way to know the information in a book is build it in layers. Mind map after each activation pass.

That means start studying well before the exam. Since the memory likes to build information in small chunks not large ones. So one bite at at time.

Mind maps serve as review material in the 4 weeks or so before the exam date.

The problem isn't that you don't know the book it's your ability to access your memory of the information. To remember you need to keep travelling the neural path of that memory frequently. So after each study session you must review what you just learned. Review again before the next study session. Review should take place once daily for a week for new material. After a week once a week is enough, then once a month for about 6 months. That's why mind maps are preferred there is no way you can review linear notes as fast as a mind map.

The other way to have sound knowledge of the information is to use it daily.

So Superread And Dip to build your mind map. Do more passes not less.

Alex

Hey

I am working on my certifications too and I was planning to do that same set of exams for CIW. Right now I am working on the MCAD and MCSD. The best way to study for those types of exams is to activate it chapter by chapter and try to answer the questions. You can also look at the questions first then keep them in mind while you are activating each chapter. You can also try mind mapping each chapter, but personally I really dont use mind maps all that much but I know they work.

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved