Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MatiasT Offline OP
OP Offline

I have read some experiment in the forum describing the photoreading work in blocks of 20 minutes being this way better than long periods of time. ¿What is the advantage?

Thanks for any answer.

Matias T

Learning Strategies Admin

Actually since doing that test I came across some information that backs up my experience.

The research suggest that the Hippocampus works best in this time period too in relation to learning new stuff and memory. The peak learning block is the first 7 minutes where you pick up most of the new information then there is a drop 7 minutes where maybe only one or two new ideas are learned then there is a rise again where the mind is "getting it" again... not as high as the first 7 minutes but much better than the preceding 7 minutes. At the end of this 7 minute cycle there is another drop which is even lower and almost no learning takes place. Instead of spending that 7 minutes in unproductive study take a break and you start the cycle over again afresh.

I'm sorry I don't know the actual source of the research. It came to me from a research source I consider secondhand. However looking at the Accelerated Learning techniques and their recommendation based on their finding it makes sense.

Alex

MatiasT Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Alex for your answer. I have to tell you that I learn a lot from every post you write in the forum. I think you are brilliant.

Matias T

Thank you. It's nice to know that I can help.

Alex

that's amazing, how long of a break do you recommend using this break period>?

Study 20 minutes; break 5 minutes; Study 20 minutes; break 5 minutes; Study 20 minutes; break 15 minutes (or longer ); Study 20 minutes; break 5 minutes; Study 20 minutes; break 5 minutes; Study 20 minutes; break minimum 30 minutes (or longer e.g. quit for the day )

What works for studying works for activation.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved