Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57450 12/13/06 06:53 AM
Niro Offline OP
OP Offline

Hallo everyone,

I read all the old topics about Subvocalizing. But I didn't find the answer for my question. (I know everything about the habit problem)

My problem is, if I rapid read, moving my eyes from the beginning to end, I don't understand anything. It have th feeling of to get 0% comprehension.
But if I subvocalize, I understand and get more.

Is that normal in the beginning stage of visual reading? That you don't understand anything.

By rapid reading, do you read with you concious or subconcious mind?

Can a visual reader tell me how it is to read visually? Did they see inner images? Did they feel something? How do you get the comprehension while your visual reading? You understand while your reading or at the end?

Any tips for a beginner? Can you appy visual reading also in learning materials, and academic books?

Kind Regards
Niro

Niro #57451 12/13/06 07:26 PM
DNA Offline

Hello,

Try counting 1-2-3 while you are reading and this shuts out the internal vocalisation of reading. Also practise making pictures of what you are reading.
I had the same problem initially. I was understanding literally nothing of what I was reading. It was quite frustrating and now I wouldn't say that I undestand brilliantly when I rapid read. But I guess this improves with time- personally I wouldn't say that I read anywhere near as much as I would like to so therefore I don't get beyond a certain speed.
Best regards,
DNA

Niro #57452 12/14/06 02:56 AM

Hi!

Rapid reading is using the conscious mind. Rapid reading is used as a last resort.

It sounds like you are just regular reading.

Did you establish a purpose? Did you write a list of trigger words from the book? Did you formulate mind-probing questions for those trigger words? Did you superread & dip to find answers to mind-probing questions? Did you make a mind-map of the book?

Did you read the photoreading book?

Did you read the chapter on activation in the photoreading book?

Everything i have mentioned to you here is a tip for a beginner. Establish your purpose. Know or find out what it is that you want from the book and what are you going to do with the information from the book once you get it. How are you going to apply or use that information.

Find those trigger words and definitely have mind-probing questions for those trigger words then go superread and dip and find answers to the questions.Make a mind-map of the book.

Do these things and i am sure you will definitely have a different outcome.

Photoread4me

Learning Strategies Admin

Quote:

My problem is, if I rapid read, moving my eyes from the beginning to end, I don't understand anything. It have th feeling of to get 0% comprehension.
But if I subvocalize, I understand and get more.

Actually this is correct. Subvocalising is when you are moving your mouth to talk. Put a pencil between your teeth. If it moves while you're reading then you are slowing yourself down with subvocalisation.

Conscious comprehension does require a degree of hearing the words and thinking about it. The secret to success is to minimise it not focus on eliminating it.

Don't rapid read until you've exhausted the other activation techniques. Mind probing questions. Superread and dip and skittering, mind mapping.

Focus on using Superreading you should be going to fast to actually vocalise what you are seeing and when you dip, if you hear the voice in your head that's fine. Because it is true that does help build better comprehension. At the same time you need to recognise you don't need to say every single word to have comprehension. Become selective.

Alex

DNA #57454 12/14/06 04:43 PM
Niro Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi,

Thanks for your advice and help.
So, I can have only the correct comprehension if I have heard the words in my mind?

But will my comprehension increase the more I practive visual reading?

Quote:

Hello,

Try counting 1-2-3 while you are reading and this shuts out the internal vocalisation of reading. Also practise making pictures of what you are reading.
I had the same problem initially. I was understanding literally nothing of what I was reading. It was quite frustrating and now I wouldn't say that I undestand brilliantly when I rapid read. But I guess this improves with time-
DNA

Hallo DNA,

What did you exactely did to improve it? What kind of steps did you do? What advice can you give me (as a beginner)? And how can I make picture of what I am reading without hearing that word in my mind?

Thanks a lot,
Kind Regards
Niro

Niro #57455 12/14/06 07:39 PM
DNA Offline

Hello Niro,

I found a number of ideas helped me. I tried taking in more than one word at a time so that not only was i understanding words but entire phrases at one go. I also tried to instantly turn the book into a visual movie so that I was reading and instantly visualising the scenes that were being described.

You don't need to subvocalise a word to understand it. And as I say, repeating to yourself 1-2-3 as you are reading eliminates to a certain extent the subvocalisation and so you will find, if you stick with it a bit that your reading rate goes up considerably. In the beginning I wouldn't aim for a thousand words a minute the speed will come in time when you get into the habit of not subvocalising and translating faster the words you see into pictures- don't forget to try to use all the modalities not just visual ones- try to literally create in your imagination the story much as a director creates a movie. Being in a very relaxed state of mind also I find helps to rapid read.

Hope this is of some help,
Best regards,
Dean

DNA #57456 12/19/06 12:07 PM

If you Superread you'll be going too fast to subvocalise. Dip you read a phrase or two maybe a sentence if you subvocalise a few of the words (hear them in your mind) then you're going to read a lot faster with greater understanding.

Remember comprehension builds in layers. Don't try to "get it" all in one pass.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved