Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

It took me a really long time to understand the activation stage as well sherifelabd. The thing that caused me to be able to finally activate a book was a complete transformation in the way that I looked at the process of photoreading. I used to have purposes that were vague or unexciting to me like "learning how to photoread" and it never worked for me. What finally changed was when I realized that I wasn't reading at all. Not in the traditional sense. If you want to read a book then sit down and read it. You'll get some information from it, it'll feel good right away, and you'll be able to talk about it a lot. And then a month from now, a year from now, or three years from now, you'll forget what was in the book. Sure, you read it, but if someone asks you about it you probably wouldn't have all that much recall of the book. But, you would still have the important parts of it ingrained in who you are.

Lets just look at an example. A little while back I read, not photoread but just read, 'Good to Great' by Jim Collins. Can I quote anything from the book? No. Can I converse with someone about the ideas in the book, can I formulate creative answers to problems using some of the strategies from the book, can I analyze a company with the mindset laid out in the book? Yes. So what really does it mean to read a book? How much of the information in the book do we really have access to?

I realized that the whole photoreading process is just a conversation with the author. It's not about getting information out of a book, it's about getting the information you need out of a book. When you're creating 'mind probing questions' don't think about the book. Think about the author or the subject of the book. For example, I just photoread a biography of John Jacob Astor so all of my mind probing questions were directed to him. They were the questions I'd ask him if he were sitting right in front of me. The book was just my way of communicating with him.

Just give that a shot. Before you photoread a book, start formulating questions you'd ask the author if he was sitting in front of you. Formulate them all the time. Sit down and maybe your first question is "Who are you?" and then answer it. Previewing is like being introduced to someone. Photoreading is like having someone tell you their whole life story, but so fast you can't really understand it. And activating is like being able to sit on the other side of the table and say "ok ok, thanks for all of that but all I really wanted to know was about the time you... tell me more about that."

One final thought. The other thing that helped me a lot with activating has been to create an ultimate purpose for my life. Now that I know what I'm trying to do with my life, my purpose statement is always related to my life. Right away, I know whether the book is going to help me towards being the person I want to be or if it's not and, because I have the master plan if you will, I can write a purpose statement that has real meaning. Information that we gather from books has to be applied to something or it's useless and our minds wont hold the information. If your purpose is to learn to photoread, why is that important? What will it help you do? Read books faster? Ok, but what will that help you do? If you had all the information out of all the books in the entire world, then what? Why do you need the information that you need, what will it help you do and why does that matter?

Photoread4me ; matthat askcody

Thank you all very much for your concern and your trails to help me. I am sure I won't let you down.

For the coming few days I will try applying your recommendations hoping it works with me and will get back to you with the outcome.

matthat
When I said that I feel nothing towards any book. I meant nothing coming out of the book I photoread. Actually the books I photoread were the most exciting to me which I thought they might help me in the probing questions.
Sorry for my miss explanation.

Will get back to you….

good luck!

askcody, awesome post, really interesting to me, thanks.

Glad to help.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

sherifelabd

Have you changed your purpose once you became more familiar with the book. And did you find some mind probing questions from your trigger words.

BTW your purpose for the Arabic book is an ego trap... not a purpose. And your first book should have been no more than 200 pages. We want you to learn the system quickly to don't do that with the biggest and heaviest books you can find

Alex

ParaDoc Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Sherif,

Sorry for the delay in answering.

firstly, it is important to read through the book seeking questions that you want answered from the book. This is called mind probing. For example, given that it is a memory book you are looking at, you might ask yourself: what ways can I improve my memory, what methods are they, what is X, Y, Z, etc. what use are they and how do I use them, and so on. This is not an exhaustive list, and I suggest you use your own questions to take the info YOU want from the book, not the info you think others might want you to have.

Without these questions, it is a bit like looking through the phonebook for a person without knowing their surname; it's not going to accomplish anything. Mind probing is the key!

Also, make sure that the purpose is a wholeheartedly supported goal of yours, you cannot lie to your other-than-conscious mind.

Hope this is of help.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved