Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57914 01/08/07 12:41 AM
jojo Offline OP
OP Offline

I am currently on my second go-round of the Abundance for Life course. I took a break from daily listenings and exercises because I was getting too frustrated with my lack of results, and a feeling of "not getting it". The feeling exercise seems like a slippery eel to me, and I'm wondering if I'm intellectualizing it too much. I just can't seem to grasp how to appreciate a feeling that doesn't feel very good, or how to reclaim the power from a feeling. I am starting to understand that there is a power in our feelings, but that understanding feels tenative still. I have read Bob Scheinfeld's Busting Loose from the Money Game in which he describe's a very similar process, and it has helped a little to hear it described a little differently. I know that sometimes all it takes for the light bulb of understanding to go off is to hear the same information described in a different way--one that is in more alignment with the way an individual thinks and processes information-- so I'm wondering if there is another source I can go to that presents this feeling exercise differently, or perhaps in more depth, or even if anyone would be willing to share their understanding of this process. Thank you--jojo

Learning Strategies Admin

The Feeling Exercise is for discovering your power. The problem with describing feelings as heavy, hot, cold, tight or tense is you are still labeling the feeling. It still gives an impression of good bad I want this or don't want this feeling. Like doing the work we want to experience the feeling exactly as it is. To discover what that feeling really holds for us in the way of energy.

The way I found to get in touch with the feeling without labeling it is to ask myself some questions about the feeling. If the feeling had a colour what colour would it be?

If the feeling had a sound what would the sound be like? If the feeling had a smell what would it smell like. If the feeling had a texture what would it feel like? If the feeling had a size what sized container would I fit it in? If the feeling had a vibration what would the vibration be like?

The answers that pop into your head are the right ones. Play with that, ask at least three questions, taste, sound, texture, or sound, size, colour. This technique will take you more into experiencing the feeling as is and a label becomes unnecessary.

Some people need to do the feeling exercise 20 to 30 times a day for a few weeks before they really get the idea of what is meant by power in the feeling. I don't want to try and explain it because it detracts from the experience. And the best way to get the experience is to avoid giving it a label and explore what is thereThe Feeling Exercise is for discovering your power. The problem with describing feelings as heavy, hot, cold, tight or tense is you are still labeling the feeling. It still gives an impression of good bad I want this or don't want this feeling. Like doing the work we want to experience the feeling exactly as it is. To discover what that
feeling really holds for us in the way of energy. And using our imagination is a good way to get that break through.

AlexK

I'm on a second go-round myself, and I can understand your frustration. When the feelings are strongest it can nearly feel impossible to bring yourself to a state of appreciation.

One of the things that is becomming more clear to me is that loving the feeling is important, but perhaps more important is loving yourself for having the feeling itself. You might go back and listen to the story Paul tells of being frustrated with having to go across town to help his son. It's on the first disk of the Main Course.

You might also get one of Arnold Patent's books. They're available at Amazon. I've found it really helps bring some perspective to the process.

In some ways, the process is a little like some of the anchoring processes in NLP. You are essentially taking one feeling and breaking it down with a more powerfully anchored feeling of love and appreciation. What I've found is that the ISSUES in my life like jealousy or fear, when I work with the process, just stop happening. When I go through events that used to bring up feelings I labeled as anger, frustration, sadness -- instead of having those feelings pop up automatically I find myself responding with love and appreciation first.

One of the things you might try is picking a neutral time, when none of the feelings you're trying to work with are current, and working with one of the accelerator disks, especially the Heart Center one. When the session is done, try working with the love/appreciation that comes up naturally and viewing the event or perspective through that prism. Allow yourself to shower whatever it is that is you see as your crisis or pain with love. Try walking through the event or circumstances in your mind while pouring love on every part and player. You might find that your true power begins to come up automatically when you're going through a similar event.

Maybe it would be a good idea to start with minor feelings and learn the process wihht tehm. When you use it for the "big" ones, you will already know the process and it will take things much more easy. Yu will know how it's going to feel afterwards and will expect that feeling.

It does not necessarily take more than a couple of days to start this way.

Wish you luck,
[He].2s2.2p4

I think that you might have some sort of expectation about what is going to happen (or what should happen) once you get it, and this expectation may be an obstacle.

You are not doing the feeling exercise to experience the satisfaction of some expectation, you are doing the feeling exercise to fully experience what it is you are feeling and to appreciate it.

Maybe experiencing the feeling fully and appreciating it is no big deal? Maybe it doesn't meet your expectations? That's ok. You can feel that fully and appreciate it.

When I do the exercise I simply feel what is going on and realize that this experience is my creation. It's what I am "doing" right now. My brain and my body have created this. My expectations, thoughts, conditioning, perspective, beliefs, etc. have created this. It's my doing, my creation, my manifestation. It is what is.

I think in appreciating what is going on as a manifestation of your self, of your creative ability, you gain insight about the power in the feeling. Wherever there is a feeling there is energy, there is power, it's creating a reality, a response, in you. That's creative power. It may not be creating something you necessarily like, but it is what you are doing now, and you can appreciate it for what it is. You can appreciate it because it is evidence of your ability to create a myriad of things... to create whatever is part of and results from that feeling.

Think of all the processes involved in a simple feeling. Think about what is going on in your body, all the chemical and cellular reactions. What's going on is creating you at a physical level. Macroscopically, it also creates your life around you, because what you think and feel tends to make you behave in certain ways. It affects your habits. It affects what you are willing to do and to not do. It affects many tendencies, leading you in various directions

Let's say you make a painting. The painting ends up being a terribly realistic depiction of a horrible scene that makes you feel very bad when you look at it. You might not like the painting, you might not like the way it makes you feel, but if you look at it, you can appreciate the fact that it's a powerful piece of work that has the ability to affect you. If you can paint that, then certainly you can paint other powerful things.

In the same way, many processes are going on inside of you that are building the various components that make up your experience. It's all part of you, part of your creative power. It is what you have "manifested." Bringing your awareness and appreciation to it can help you realize the creative power at work in your life. If it isn't what you want, if it feels really bad, ok. Don't let the "badness" of it distract you from the point: you have the ability to create powerful feelings in yourself that lead to a variety of responses, a variety of different thoughts, feelings, and actions. The acceptance, experience, and appreciation of it is an important first step... and you can actually enjoy it.

These are the components that make up every other experience in your life. The good ones as well as the bad. Just like the painter's brushes, paints, canvas, understandings, movements, ability to see, etc. make up his ability to make paintings. The painter can make beautiful paintings, funny paintings, or terrible, frightening paintings. The painter can make paintings that are technically great and paintings that just plain suck. But it's all pretty much the same thing--painting.

I've used examples in the visual system, but the same is true for every other system: think of music being composed and played, and buildings or tools being built. Some well composed music can be incredibly depressing or make you terribly anxious. Some ingenious tools are built for the purpose of torture.... you can still appreciate the process of creation and the creator in each instance.

Nice to see you writing here Babayada. Will look into your recent posts. Always nice to see old forumers..

//Tore

Hello there,
I'm a newbie and I also had a bit of trouble with the feeling exercise. After reading all the posts I am beginning to get it. I don't think the cd explains it very well. Maybe it will on the second go-round.
I also read Busting Loose from the Money Game. After listening to Arnold Patent's interview in this course I realize that Scheinfeld pinched his entire system from Arnold. Now I have sent for all of Arnold's books and I'm looking forward to reading more.
Thanks for the help,
Pam

The time constraint on a CD makes it difficult to explain the many ways the exercise can be explored. One thing that works is persistence.

Alex

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved