Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5342 01/17/03 12:09 AM
adrian Offline OP
OP Offline

I am suspecting i may have attention defecit disorder. Although on-line tests are not conclusive and i will refer to a prefessional soon, from what i read I have most of the syptoms of this condition including excessive day dreaming, too much clutter in my mind and a general inability to concentrate.

When I was doing the test it was as i could read my life story.

Using the "whole mind" and concsous mind model here which Paul Scheele refers to , which Part of the Brain would be responsable for such a condition?

could it be the inner mind trying to sabotage my efforts? or something else. From what i 've read what may be wrong is a lack of dopamine in the frontal region of the brain that is associted with the conscous mind.

I'e used new behavious generator a couple of times to help me get down to it and study but it didn't seem to work. could this be the reason. I also use personal genius before starting to study and it works for a while but the effect only lasts some minutes?

What can I do. I'd really love to be able to study.... If the inner mind is more powerful that the conscous mind how can't i overcome this problem?

Adrian

Hi Adrian

I spoke to a friend yesterday and he said that beta brainwave stimulation is needed. I have just gone to the source of his information at http://www.comptronic.com/avestud5.htm

It says that in a study 12Hz(High Alpha) was used to stimulate the right hemisphere of the brain and 18hz(low beta) was used to stimulate the left hemisphere of the brain.
Inattention reduced to a normal score, and impulsiveness reduced to less than normal.

On Comptronic's website they state that their DAVID light & sound brainwave entrainment devices are ideal for ADD.

Hope this helps
Grant

The original purpose of the dunce cap was not to mark someone as an idiot. Rather, it served the same purpose as a wizard's hat... a literal "thinking cap." By keeping one of your channels of attention focused on the top-back part of your head, your other channels paradoxially become more focused on the studying at hand. This is outlined in the PhotoReading book as the "Tangerine Technique." Seeing as you may have true ADD, consider actually GETTING a "thinking cap" to focus your attention there. The Chinese Civil Service during the time of Confucius used caps like this for just that very purpose. Being as I am from Wisconsin, I find a foam cheese-wedge hat helps somewhat. (Yes, I've used this. My tangerine kept evaporating).

Your feild of vision also widens because your "center" is further back. It's like holding the book an extra foot away, but without suffering the apparent reduction in text size that such an action would produce.

Also, remember to study in small blocks. While 30 minutes was found to be ideal (5 minutes to get into state, 20 minutes of study, 5 minute break after that), you might wish to use smaller blocks to keep your attention focused. Play with it, and see what works best for you.

Make sure to do research before you accept any medication.

Note, none of my advice is of a medical nature, and is not intended to treat, prevent or cure any illness. The above message has not been evaluated by the FDA.

Hello Adrian,
I have also posted here before with a specific question about ADD/ADHD. (My fiancee has ADHD.) Concerning your question about Paraliminals, I am not sure if they would work properly on someone with ADD, as that person's brain functions a little differently in the frontal lobe. Hence your observation that a specific Paraliminal didn't seem to work for you. They usually work right away and without any question.
Interestingly, the Paraliminals have a note on the inside of the tape packaging that advises people to consult with a physician or mental health professional for advice on using the tape if you have any neurological, respiratory, or severe mental and/or emotional problems. This would seem to include ADD.
For obvious liability reasons, I don't believe that any representative or employee of LSC will comment on how best to use Paraliminals for someone with ADD.
It also appears to me that Paraliminals CANNOT correct problems that stem from a disorder that is physical in nature.

adrian Offline OP
OP Offline

I really thing someone from Learning Strategies could give me some feedback. it is the least they ca do.

I do not knoe why they would not work but me personally have seen little or no effect with the tapes.

adrian Offline OP
OP Offline

ALSO... i don't know if its a coincidence or not but often when im reading i tend to scratch may head, usually the top part of my head.

I have this 'habit' all my life. Could it be an attempt of the subconscous mind to make me concentrate better or is it just another way for me to distract myself. I do not know if this scratching helps me or not.

Paul Scheele says that often ADD and ADHD diagnosis is inaccurate and more a reflection of brain-incompatible environments. What should be addressed is a learner's differing processing style.

Many people who have been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder or ADHD have done well in our PhotoReading seminars and other various accelerated learning courses.

Since the Paraliminal tapes are also based in part on accelerated learning, the assumption is that they can be very beneficial. Continue to use Personal Genius for better concentration and guiding you into an ideal learning state. And try to observe what you are doing and notice your environment when you sit down to study. Are there obvious distractions or noise? Or do you prefer some background music or noise? Get to know your preferred study environment. And be prepared to spend some quality studying time. With Personal Genius you cannot cut out your study time, but you can create a quality study session. You said it's "not working." What is your strategy for studying?

[This message has been edited by Sandy Millies (edited January 20, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by Sandy Millies (edited January 20, 2003).]

adrian Offline OP
OP Offline

what is not working is that I am not getting in the flow state like the take says. I still get distracted easily.... and i cannot identify one source of distraction only because mainly they are taughts not things that distract me. I trend to hop from one taught to another and this is what i want to solve...... in other words i find it very hard to concentrate on the object i am doing... concentrate on the present moment as Paul explains in the tape. Even while the tape session is going on i find that my mid drifts too much... it find myself thinking of something else. I don't think i get much benefit thst way .. is it.

While photo reading it tends to happen too but i guess that is normal. there where cases i ws totally absorbed and can say the PR session was a good one, even though they are few.

What can i do about this please?

I spoke with one of my co-workers at Learning Strategies who has very similar difficulties concentrating. What works for her is to consciously follow her breaths, in and out, while listening to a Paraliminal tape. Or, she counts, "100, 99, 98..." In this way, she is keeping her conscious mind engaged in something so that her mind does not wander. Try this and let us know how it works for you.

She has always believed she has ADD, although has never been formally diagnosed. She finally realized that if she wanted to get things done, study and learn, and get these tapes to work for her, it was her responsibility to make some changes. She knows that she just needs to take some extra steps.

Administrator
Administrator

Just a comment.

It's bad enough when others (professionals, parents, teachers etc) label you, ADHD, ADD, Depressive, Dyslexic, procastinator, lazy, slow learner or otherwise disabled. Once you've got it, it never seems to leave you. You either live up to that label 100% or you fight it all the way because it gives you an inferiority complex. At first it might seem to be a relief to be able to explain your weaknesses however there comes the time you you realise that the label means that suddenly you are no longer normal. Really, no one needs that.

If you haven't been diagnosed by a professional I suggest that you list weaknesses rather them giving it a label. Acknowledge your weakness and find your strenghts, Then use your strenghts to weed out your weakness. There are methods by which most disabilites can be overcome, worked around and the problems of the disabily can even be overcome by the individual. However once you've been labeled you never seem to be able to shake other peoples perception of your limitiation. It makes it unnecessarily difficult in some areas of your life, discrimination may be illegal but it still occurs. While it may be nice to explain away your weaknesses with a well rounded label (in the beginning)... It doesn't get rid of them and rather than having a few minor weaknesses to work on individually you have glued them all together with a label. That makes it harder break them down.

So check out the 8 intelligences on page 129 of the PhotoReading book (3rd edition) see which one you can relate to and then see which other intelligences you can hone.
Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved