Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

There is a difference between "knowing" and "believing." I know that I'm a good guy. I *know* that I'm helpful, supportive, generous, reliable, honest, and considerate. I know that I'm these things, yet I still don't *believe* that I'm these things. It's frustrating.

What am I doing about it?
- I'm reading _Permission to Succeed_ by Noah St. John (second time)
- I ordered Abundance for Life (Deluxe) yesterday
- I have the Ultimate You paraliminal library of CDs
- I'm asking for feedback in this forum

Other things I've done to change my beliefs:
- I went to a group NLP session for belief change. It worked for a couple of months. The belief that I changed was replacing "what if I'm wrong?" with "I'm right." It was pretty cool. I realized afterwards that I had held myself back due to self-doubt, yet in retrospect to those situations I was correct most of the time.

Anyway, here is the request for feedback:
I'll listen to the Belief paraliminal CD this evening (Session B) with the intention of "I'm a good/worthy person." Do any of you have suggestions for other paraliminal CDs, or for other beliefs that are beneficial?

An opinion is a weak, mild form of belief. "It's my opinion that I'm a good person." What most people think of as a belief is somewhat stronger, "I believe I am a good person." A conviction is the strongest form of belief,"I'm convinced that I am a good person." I KNOW I am a good person is (in my opinion) a way of stating a conviction. A person who KNOWS he is a good person is someone who has more "references", real or imagined, as evidence than one who merely has a belief that he is a good person, let alone an opinion of such. Anthony Robbins wrote a marvelous chapter on Beliefs in his excellent 'Awaken the Giant Within'. I think you'd get alot out of it!

I like your affirmation 'I am a good person.' How about some other affirmations that are on the same theme and would support and build on the one you mentioned. 'I love myself.' 'I like myself.' 'I am a wonderful person.' 'I love life.' 'I deserve the best.' 'I have high self-worth and high self-respect.' 'I do things joyfully.' 'I feel good about myself.' 'I feel good about my life.' 'I have high self-esteem.' 'I radiate a powerful inner confidence.' Installing such truly empowering beliefs can only enrichen your life immensely!
Hope this was of help! --- Mike

OP Offline

Thanks, Mike. Good points. I have Anthony Robbins' _Awaken the Giant Within_, and I'll take a look at the section that you mentioned.

I changed my understanding after reading your post. Here's what I now have:
- I'm convinced that I'm a good person, worthy of success, and that I like myself. (I'm happy with these convictions.)
- I'm convinced that I may be criticised at any time by people for things that I try to do. (This is from many childhood experiences. I hold myself back from trying things that would make me happy, because I want to avoid any potential criticisms. Nevermind the fact that I am an instructor for about ten weeks each year; the last class applauded me and the most argumentative student said I was the best instructor he's ever had.)
- I feel like a failure for not accomplishing (not even trying) things that I would like to accomplish.

It's like I bounce back-and-forth between feeling proud of myself and feeling like a failure. Ugh.

Any further clarifications and/or recommendations to nip this in the bud are greatly appreciated.

Recent successes with changing beliefs:
- the result of believing that I'm right inspired me to remember names. It was pretty cool when a lady told me her name and I *felt* her name stick in my brain. I used to intentionally not remember names, because of my fear of being wrong. I didn't want to accidentally call someone by the wrong name, so I didn't call them by any name at all. Remembering names is so easy that it's silly!

I enjoyed reading your post! Progress and perserverance usually go hand in hand and are always nice to read!

The affirmations/statements that you wrote regarding your challenges? Use those on SIDE A of the Belief tape. Use Side B for the purely 100% positive statements. Those positive affirmations were pretty well worded I think! Stick with it and build your belief system the way YOU want it, belief by belief!
The chapter on beliefs in Awaken the Giant Within was worth the price of the book itself I thought (well, I'm also pretty partial to the chapters on questions and decisions too;0)). Anyways, Tony has some really cutting edge stuff on beliefs (different kinds, how build them and how to tear them down in order to replace) that is fascinating. I think the Belief cd is among the most versatile and valuable of all the Paraliminals Learning Strategies has to offer because EVERYTHING we do has a belief behind it of some kind. In countless self-help books, we read 'Change your thinking,change your life' or 'What you think about, you become'. Clearly, the authors are referring to beliefs because a mere thought or idea by itself is not going to change anything. However, a thought DWELLED upon becomes a belief and a belief has command power over our behaviors and THAT is destiny changing!
Tony says that the questions we ask ourselves are extremely important in our lives (for good or bad) but he also says that beliefs determine what questions we are WILLING to ask ourselves! Very interesting stuff!
Keep up the great work!--- Mike

Hi,

I read your statement:

"It's like I bounce back-and-forth between feeling proud of myself and feeling like a failure. Ugh."

If this is an issue for you, then I would also consider Paul Scheele's book "Natural Brilliance". This talks about the problem you mentioned. Basically Paul say that we try and achieve two things simultaneously, we try and move forward to our goal state but we also have stuck states which are like stop signs that prevent us from moving forward.

An example of my interpretation of this: I want to develop my computer programming skills to a professional level and be an good programming problem solver. However when I try to push forward and learn the skills, or reach a point when I can't move forward or encounter a problem, I enter a stuck state. My stuck state is that I want to avoid being in a job and being given a programming task and worried that I will show myself up as being incapable or stupid. Another one of my stuck states is when I went to university to study a post-gradute diploma in computer programming, a lot of the class had previously came from science degrees such as physics, maths, chemistry, and I believed the were better than me because they were able to grasp the skills and thinking processes required to programme quickly. This experience was holding me back because I believed that I was not as good as them and 'was not the right type of person to be a programmer'. I was really wanting to move forward and pick up the books to learn but I had this nagging belief and I would not even try.

If you look at this book you will see the steps Paul talks about in how to break free from your stuck states to reclaim your natural genius to learn. I am still takling my stuck states and I am trying to break free from them, and I know that to achieve my goal, it will take time. I am determined however and regardless of who I am or what I have in terms of intelligence, I am still able to learn and improve.

Dmlocke

OP Offline

Mike,
Thanks for your input. It's good to have encouragement with clarity.

Dmlocke,
Thanks for suggesting "Natural Brilliance." I just ordered it over the phone. I spoke with Caroline (sp?) who explained the similarities and differences between "Natural Brilliance" and "Abundance for Life." She outlined a plan to use both so I could move forward with positive change. I'm impressed with Learning Strategies, the products, and customer support!

I expressed something to Caroline that I remembered recently. I was living in a one-bedroom apartment, post-divorce. I liked my apartment. The living room had bold colors on the walls (three different, strong colors), yet was very relaxing. My apartment was a reflection of me (bold and calm), it was my style. Then one morning I woke up and felt like I didn't deserve such a nice place. (This happened twice.) Caroline instructed me to ask myself why I told myself that, and that NB and AfL can help.

Many kudos to everyone here. It's phenomenal that we can help each other improve.

- Eric

OP Offline

I received "Natural Brilliance" yesterday and started listening to the first CD this morning while I drove to work.

I started changing my beliefs last week. I had this really cool feeling of "Good Things Are Bound To Happen For Me." I feel happier, and I had a really cool reinforcement this morning after I arrived at work.

I went to a time share presentation on Jan 27th and received two free vacation deals. One is for Puerto Rico, and all I have to do is get myself to Puerto Rico. The resort is free. I received an email this morning from a former student who has departmental approval for a custom class in Puerto Rico. Sweet! I can combine a business trip with vacation.

Best Wishes to Everyone!

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Please do not listen to Paraliminals while driving.

Alex

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved