Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#58684 02/21/07 07:36 PM
OP Offline

I have had an anxiety about falling asleep at night for awhile. No matter how hard I try to convince myself that I will fall asleep at night, or that I will be ok even if I don't get a lot of sleep, I still think about whether or not I will fall asleep all day long. It makes me dread sleep. I want to be able to think of sleep in a pleasurable way and have the confidence to know that I will def fall asleep (or not feel upset in the slightest if I can't). Even when I have many nights in a row of good sleep, I still get nervous about going to bed. I have tried meditation, but I need to find a way to change my actual thought process. I just started the Euphoria! cds, and I was hoping those would help. I have also been doing the Spring Forest Qi Gong almost everyday. Is there another paraliminal or program that you think is best suited to helping my problem?

Thanks!

I've had trouble sleeping, too. Here are several things, and you can choose whatever sounds good to you.

1) the Law of Attraction = what you focus on expands.
If you focus on sleep anxiety, then sleep anxiety expands. If you focus on peaceful thoughts, then peaceful thoughts expand. This is a sneaky thing, though. You tried meditation to counter the sleep anxiety, right? I'm guessing that the purpose of the meditation was "sleep anxiety," therefore "sleep anxiety" expanded. The trick is to focus on a goal that is a positive, and it must be something _other_ than the absence of a negative.

2) I travel for work, and I slept better in hotel rooms than I did in my own bed. I associated my own bed with sleep anxiety. I had to change my habits to replace this association. Now I read something light/enjoyable/motivational in my bed before I sleep. I'm changing the association by repeated actions. I'm also changing the focus of my thoughts by concentrating on the book or magazine.

Best wishes!
Eric

3) I forgot to add this - maybe rearranging your furniture/bed might help. Scented candles like lavender may also help. Soothing sound CDs. Give yourself a foot massage.

Find things that you like, and enjoy them right before you go to bed. Then you will look forward to bedtime.

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell? (It's a bad joke, and I'm _not_ sorry.) Use conditioning to your advantage.

- Eric

Meredith, years ago (pre-paraliminals) I used to have your problem. The way I handled it (eventually, after lots of trial and error) was to keep VERY busy during the day, and at night, settle in with a book that wouldn't activate any stress (in other words, not the best time to read your favorite mystery or--shudder--true crime book). Even, and maybe especially, a boring book. Within weeks, I was sleeping like a baby.

Taking your mind off of your problem (staying busy all day, reading something at bedtime) goes a LONG way toward resolving the problem.

Learning Strategies Admin

New History Generator. Somewhere in your past you had an experience that made it frightening for you to fall asleep now you created a battle of wills. Use the new history generator to redecide how you would like to handle this. Don't worry it may not become conscious and need not become conscious what actually created the problem in the first place. Just make the decision to go back and grab the other options that allow you to sleep now.

Alex

OP Offline

Thanks Alex!

I tried the New History Generator yesterday. I have tried a few of the different paraliminals, and I have actually been sleeping much better. Sometimes I am not sure if I am trying too many different ones, and if I should be more focused on just one or two.

When you say grab another option from the New History Generator, what do you mean?

My problem isn't that I can't quiet my mind down, it is that I get into bed and I start falling asleep, and then I jolt awake. It's like my mind gets scared right when it's going into the sleep state. I am trying really hard to not even think about it and just let it happen, but most of the time it isn't a conscious thing, so I was hoping one of the paraliminals could help me not be scared of that moment.

Thanks!

Hi meredith9,

I would like you to understand one thing-- was Rome built in a day??
or this anxiety for sleep has cropped up off lately....??

The answers are no...It required good amount of time to nurture & get into the system be it in material state or unconscious state of mind.
My intention of saying that was that there are two possible reasons why you are unable to overcome your problem...

First,
you need to get back the belief ,the trust ,the faith in yourself & the paraliminal that you are abiding by .Your willpower & faith will move mountains once Act is done...So dont lose out at that .

Second,
the results will be seen at a gradual pace & not overnight...!!Keep patience...donot rush.

You are working perfectly on the right track but now focus on the path laid by you by keeping right mode of spirit ,will power & trust .
I will just like to say in the end have sweet dreams the next time u get into your sleep mode.....& enjoy the experience in a comfortable way...

Regards,

Timtim

Our past experiences are This plus that equals something I didn't like or did like. Based on my experience at that time I repeat what I did to get what I like and I do what worked to avoid what I didn't like,

As we continue in the path we rely on habits for certain areas and new areas we discover new strategies. Sometimes they are skills that would work even better than the one we put in place way back when...

So with New History Generator you take the skills you've learned in the path of life and allow the mind to integrate the present information in your past so you can change the history and have more ways of dealing with the challenge. The way you learned way back when and experiences you learned since. You become less stuck in old habits realising that you have more options now than when the habit first became a habit.

Alex

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved