Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
jase Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey All!

THE PROBLEM for me is trying to figure out what career to choose! I have been trying to work this out for a long time now and is driving me nuts! I believe if I focus on ONE thing and believe it's possible and act on the outcome, I will get it, however I can't seem to focus on just one thing... I'm always searching for what I would really like to do... I know that I really want to help people, maybe with NLP or psychology, but then I have thoughts of teaching, travelling, art, music etc and I remain stuck on the spot not know which direction to choose.
Hope some one can help, I really need clarity and a single pointed focus. I really don't know what I want... so how can I set up goals? HELP!!!

Jase

Visualize now, yourself in the future, 1 year from now, 5 years from now, 10 years from now, 20 years from now, 40 years from now.

Think about all the goals you didn't accomplish in each time frame... any regrets??? Whichever goal you had the most regret not accomplishing is the goal you should go for!!!

Visualize now, what your life is like in these time frames now that the goal was accomplished. Did it turn out as expected, better than expected, regrets that it prevented another goal from fruition?

Some people focus on their career... even though success is reached they end up regretting that there is no spouse, children, or friends to share it with. Some people focus on their social activities only to find their career is at a standstill. Whatever you decide to focus on now, try to keep the outcome balanced!!!

jase Offline OP
OP Offline

I guess I am really just scared of making a mistake... for example tonight I thought I'd really love to become a NLP Trainer. The entire course is about $14,000 and I'm worried that it could be a waste of money if I have no sucess with it! I know I am focusing my mind on what I do not want, but the fear of failure is overwhelming sometimes that I feel stuck and instead do nothing! I wish there was an easy way to get beyond the fear and just do it! How can I become more decisive and take action regardless of the fear of failing factor?
Hope someone can help

Jase

Jase,

If you study HISTORY... most technological advances were made because of mistakes!!! Think, really put some thought and look into your own past. Remember when you made a mistake? YOU grew into a better person because of that mistake. Mistakes are necessary for people to evolve. The best part about making a mistake??? It's perfectly okay, just pick yourself up and keep going forward.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Jase

If you'd have told me on this day 5 years ago that I'd be a PhotoReading instructor, coach and forum moderator I's have said now way. And if you'd have added that I'd be spending my life savings at that time I'd have said you're off your rocker.

I wound up taking the plunge and spending that crazy amount you numbered and more just to see if it was possible. I had no guarantee of success but I did it anyway because I could only spend the rest of my life thinking well what if I could have? What then. Money is just energy in exchange for something. It has no value until you put it out there. You just need to decide what you want in exchange.

If it something you think you might like to do research it. Take a course to get to know it on an entry level. Know it well at that level and then decide if you want to make a career of it. If you have nothing else on the card test the water. It might mean you spend money and discover it's not for you but you will always have the knowledge you acquired in return. It may prove to be a building block for something even bigger and better that would be unattainable further down the road if you haven't taken the course.

Use the Paraliminal New Options Generator if you're serious about career choices and do the course Clear Mind Bright Future. It has a knack of unlocking what you really want in your life.

Alex

Alex

Hi Jase!

I often feel the same!!

I hope it's allowed here - I came across Barbara Sher's book 'Wishcraft' online (it's free in pdf format, just Google it). Really helpful advice.
She has other books for people with many interests, like 'Refuse to Choose' - for what she calls 'scanners' - people 'interested in too many things or 'Renaissance People' - but I haven't read that one yet. There's also a helpful forum.

Basically, the advice is to write down EVERYTHING you want to do, and then if you want to do it all come up with a timeline/ideas when you want to do it, and how - she gives examples of people pursuing 2 or more things at the same time (you could be a teacher doing art and travelling in spare time/the holidays), or changing careers one after another... (switching 'jobs' or going to self-employed in a course of years - a teacher until you earn some money, then go and do Art/Music for a couple of years/months...?; are there any things you'd be willing to do when retired from work or just for a hobby/sideline/in holidays/spare time?)

First write down the wish, including the 'touchstone' (what you really want to accomplish=helping people in your case, but then there can be separate touchstones for your wishes) and then the obstacles, and brainstorm both on the wish and on the obstacles - alone and with others.
Also, try to come up with a plan that gives you the most of what you really really want the quickest way. And get a success team - support group of people cheering for you and giving ideas gladly (on- or offline).
Who is your role model? Can you learn and do what that person did? (Maybe there are several.) Any people already doing what you wish to do to ask?

You can get a 'good enough' job to help finance your other interests initially, or even volunteer/go semi-pro at other things, or try to earn money with several things (mainly 1 or 2, the others on the backburner or...?)
How old are you, any savings to help you off? (Just ideas to contemplate.)

You could focus on getting money first (what would you be willing to do, DAILY, in REAL LIFE? - includes research, there are many books and online sites to learn from), and explore other things at the same time/later.
Aside from that, is there a way you can start getting passive income - with Art etc? (That I picked up in Kiyosaki's books;)
Art and Music may be quite difficult fields to 'break into', but it's possible. Are you willing to do the work - creating art/music, marketing...?

I did some teaching, took some time off for research and creating (writing a book, doing music etc) and well, it's not as easy as one would think!
Some writers even produced better work or could manage their time more effectively while also teaching! But they had the discipline to eg set aside 1 hour daily for writing

Is there any way to spend less money on NLP courses that could later be combined so you could get a certificate? (Something like that was available in my country.) I assume you've already been on NLP courses and read books available in your library - or not? Any experiences with teaching/training people - even teaching kids to tie shoelaces?

I read NLP books on teaching languages while training to be a teacher of English and German, knowing NLP and other learning techniques helped me and my students achieve better results. (Teaching English and/or NLP abroad - another possibility to travel. But do research thoroughly first. It's not all rosy 'out there' either.)

Other things to consider: What is the expected income of a NLP trainer? How long does it take for them to normally 'get their money back'?
How many are there in your area/are you willing to relocate? Do they find work easily - is there room for others? (Basic market research.)

Hope any of this helped at all, and that I didn't overwhelm you with too much info-? (You can pm me if you have further questions. And by all means read the book, or parts of it.)

Love, and good luck on your path!
Andreya

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved