Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I'm having trouble with activiation.

I have my trigger words and I probe my mind with questions that I want to know. I super-read and dip when I find it appropriate, etc.

I suppose I'm a little confused on mind-mapping - I know what it is, but I'm confused on how one goes about it. Do you base you're mindmapping off of the trigger words and questions you've had? Do you mindmap after super-read/dip or before? Do you make your mind-map blind? -- meaning, do you have your book in front of you or not?

I'm guessing that what has confused me is when I first saw the video Photoreading News Broadcast Video, the news broadcaster does a mind-map during his preview step, as opposed to during his super-reading step.... he actually doesn't even show the super-reading step.

Could someone please explain this to me?

Thanks,

Jonathan Cisco
http://www.dreamingnz.com

Hi.

What is your purpose? Why do you need this information from the book? How are you going to use or apply the information from the book?

The reason i bring this up is because activation does not work without a purpose.

On your superread & dip you spend 4 to 15 seconds a page. Nothing longer than 15 seconds. You want to keep things general on your superread & dip. You don't want to get into too much detail too soon. The whole idea is to activate in layers. Learning takes place at it's best when you activate in layers.You will come back & do another superread & dip on other pass & pick up more information on the next activation pass.

You do your mindmap after you have superread & dip. Your mindmap is based on what your purpose is or what you are wanting to get from the book. Your mindmap is a reflection of your purpose so the goal that you are trying to achieve on your purpose should be on your mindmap.

Photoread4me

OP Offline

Thanks for your reply!

I always try to make a very good, solid purpose. (I've read your posts before on purpose )

So, it is normal to make several Super-read/Dips? I assumed one session was average.

Again, is the mind-map supposed to be created after your Super-read/Dip sessions? Or during?

Thanks,

Jonathan Cisco

You're welcome

Yes it is normal to make many superread & dips. In fact 6 to 10 superread & dips would be fine.When the book gels or comes together you will know that you are done or that you have everything that you need from the book.

The mindmaps are done after your superread & dip. You don't want to do them during the superread & dip because it could slow you down or you get trapped in the passive reading mode so it is best to do your mindmap after your superread & dip.

Again you want to spend about 5 minutes doing your mindmap & you will work on the mindmap again on the next activation pass.

Before i forget very importmant you definitely want to take a 5 minute break after you have finished your mindmap. Then go ahead & do another superread & dip & work on the mindmap again for 5 minutes.

So here is a typical example for you.

1. Superread & dip for 20 minutes. Work on your mindmap for 5 minutes. Take a 5 minute break.

2. Do a 2nd superread & dip for 20 minutes. Work on your mindmap for 5 minutes. Take a 5 minute break.

3. Do a 3rd superread & dip for 20 minutes. Work on your mindmap for 5 minutes. Take a 5 minute break.

4. Do a 4th superread & dip for 20 minutes. Work on your mindmap for 5 minutes. Take a 5 minute break.

5. Do a 5th superread & dip for 20 minutes. Work on your mindmap for 5 minutes. Take a 5 minute break.

6. Do a 6 superread & dip for 20 minutes. Work on your mindmap for 5 minutes. Take a 5 minute break.

Photoread4me

OP Offline

Thank you! Very helpful --

Along the same line of thought:

When writing down your trigger words.. are you doing this during your preview time? Or perhaps immediately after your preview?

I find it easy to do it during the preview, just so I can get more of a feel of what I'm reading -- it's difficult to do after you've previewed an entire book.

Thanks,

Jonathan Cisco

Hello

You pull your trigger words when previewing a book. It should take a beginning photoreader 5 to 8 minutes to preview a entire book. You pull 20 to 25 trigger words for a book.

You definitely do not want to spend no more than 8 minutes previewing a book. The problem you get into when previewing more than 8 minutes is that you get ensnared or trapped in a traditional, passive reading mode.

You do not want to get into a lot of detail too soon. It just turns into regular reading.

After you have pulled your trigger words you want to do a review of what you have gained from your survey & your list of trigger words. Also after you have done this review you decide if you need to change or modify your purpose.

The core concept of photoreading is layers. Doing a brief (5 to 8 minutes) preview of a book & pulling trigger words is one layer. Photoreading a book is another layer. Doing superreading & dipping or skittering is another layer. Mindmapping a book is another layer.

Learning takes place best when learning in layers.

Photoread4me

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

More and more we find preview for 60 seconds then postview 10 minutes works better for most.

Pull trigger words AND write down some questions during the postview. Then walk away from the book for 20 minutes or overnight and then begin activating.

Alex

OP Offline

Would you mind explaining postviewing?

Jonathan

Hello

Postviewing is done immediately after photoreading & you look for trigger words & ask questions for the trigger words. As Alex shared if you do both a preview and a postview you want to keep your preview down to 60 seconds & spend about 10 minutes on your postview finding your trigger words & getting answers for your questions from the trigger words.

Photoread4me

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved