Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

I have set pupose for Java Programming for the Beginneer book

- I want to learn Java so I can design and make video email software and programmes for deaf users.
- I want to learn about GUI design, use windows programs and how to program email / server settings.
- I want to learn about object oriented in GUI

Trigger words

Platform Independent, Data Type and Variable, Random Arrays, State Behaviour, attitributes and methods, class / class hierarchy, construtus, encapsulations, compositions, concrete classes, finalisation, polymorphism, abstract classes, interfaces, gui application, lab view, set up refactor, data continers, software patterns, string and string buffer, dialog to extend, input and output.

I photoread it which I feel emotional feelings, then I had a nap and had a dream, which I saw some directions "signs) of programming words where I and my friend saw in the dream - does not make sense but think photoreading works because my mind took information from the book.

Activations - I made 4 30 minutes activations to get all the book of 450 pages - few chapters per 30 minutes (skimming) because I usually spend from 10 to 15 seconds per page. There are 11 chapters in the book.

Is that Bad? I got many emotional feelings like face my realisations that I hate maths, I do not want to learn deep maths, and had thoughts like I understand now, I do not know what it means still, ahh i need to create a menu, I need to learn more about logic myself - getting a different book etc...

Is this natural?

I need to get 2nd pass to the book, start tomorrow morning? Is that OK? I think I probably need 4 to 5 passes to understand more about it.

Have I done the right way or wrong way ?

Hello

It looks like your purpose is very good. The reason i say that is because i noticed your purpose has the how and why of a good purpose. You want such and such information so you can do such and such with the information.

I would recommend doing another 10 superreading & dipping passes of 20 minutes each but you may really want to consider doing skittering instead of superreading because skittering is ideal for material that is academic & instruction in nature.So you want to spend 20 minutes on the skittering then 5 minutes on the mindmap. You are better off doing 20 minutes instead of 30 minutes because i think it helps keep you better focused & not falling back into the traditional passive regular reading mode.

So do 10 more skittering of 20 minutes each. After you have stopped skittering for 20 minutes immediately spend 5 minutes on a mindmap. Then definitely take a 5 minute break. Get completely away from the book, take a walk definitely get away from the book for 5 minutes.

One thing you did not mention was questions for your trigger words. So come up with 3 questions you would like answered from the author of the book. Be real clear on what questions you want the author to answer.

When i think about it i told you to do 10 more skittering sessions of 20 minutes each. When i think about that you do as many activation passes as necessary until the book gels or comes together for you. If that requires 20 or 30 or 50 you do whatever is necessary until the book gels or comes together.

Remember you are dealing with a complex technical book laden with dense material so you may need to allow more time for more activation passes than you would with a regular book. A technical book may require anywhere from 25 hours to 90 hours of activation.

I think you are on the right track

Photoread4me

Hi There,

I have been reading your advice for whiteeagle and I have really had a revelation about what you are saying. I too am using my photoreading to learn about C# and ASP.NET2.

I already have a good purpose but what I am curious about is the activation strategy that I could use for beginning ASP.NET2 book:

Obviously go through the photoreading stages...etc.....

Would it be better to break down the book into chapters for activation and when you are happy you have grasped the chapter using the strategies, move onto the next chapter and start the whole process?

So for activation (after photoreading)... could I create a sub goal for chapter 1 then do 20 minutes of skittering?
Big question, what I am aiming to do with skittering and how do you define skittering? Move my eyes down the center of each page an not worrying about comprehension?
During skittering, do you take mental note of the information or do you take physical notes?
If physical notes, how much time do you need to spend?
Then do a mind map for 5 minutes. What are you aiming to mind map in this 5 minutes? Do you need to go back to the book to do the mind map or are you mind mapping the information you received in your brain during skittering?
Take a break
Then review my goal for chapter 1 and see if I need to take another pass through with skittering etc and possibly keep skittering until I am happy I have achieved my purpose?

.....Then move onto chapter 2 rtc

I also wondering if it is useful if the book is very techincal, is it ok to photoread the book every day for as long as it takes to work through it?

Hope you can help?

Regards
dmlocke

Last edited by dmlocke; 03/04/07 01:22 PM.

Hi

Activate each chapter as a book in itself. You definitely want to activate each chapter individually. Photoread the 2 chapters before, the chapter you are activating, & the 2 chapters after.

Skittering is very useful for academic material or material that is instructional in nature. Skittering involves a wild, dancing about movement like that of a waterbug on the surface of a pond. This movement of the eyes gives the brain an opportunity to look at all the words of a paragraph that supports its main premise.

To do skittering read the first sentence(topic sentence) of the paragraph you are going to begin skittering on. Move your eyes in a rapid pattern over all the words in the paragraph, except those in the first & last sentence,noticing those words that seem to carry meaningful support to the premise in the first sentence. The movement of your eyes can follow a zigzag pattern from top to bottom or bottom to top.It can follow circular pattern clockwise or counterclockwise and move from the center out or from the edges to the center. There is no set pattern, but you will discover a preference for one of them. Play with them all to find what works best for you. This movement gives your brain a chance to spot ideas that augment or add to the main concept in a paragraph. If the meaning of the paragraph remains unclear, read the last sentence. Continue this process through each succeeding paragraph until you near the end of the reading selection.
Review and reflect. Make a mindmap in your own words. Sure you have an open book but do not copy the words word for word put it into your own words.

Photoreading a book everyday is fine. It is especially helpful with a complex book.

Skittering is on page 64 & 65 of the Photoreading book 3rd edition.Five day plan (highly recommended) is on page 76 & 77 of the Photoreading book 3rd edition. If you do not have a photoreading book do a search on skittering and five day plan.

I found a really great post from TomV regarding computer programming languages & photoreading that i think you will find useful.

From TomV
I'm a Software Engineer and a PhotoReader, and I don't think you should mindmap referencelists. What you want to go for is the basics of a language, such as objects, variables, the structure of functions, pointers, references, inheritance, OO design, etc. Mindmap the core ideas of the programming language, and branch those out on your mindmap. Mindmapping is not very useful for listing functions; you should use it for concepts instead. Besides, learning a popular OO-based programming language is not that difficult - once you get the basics. C# is based upon Java, Java is based upon C++, etc. There are some small differences in the structure of the language and the use of memory, but other than that, once you get the hang of it, learning a new language shouldn't be difficult. I still need to reference the JavaDoc or the MSDN libraries from time to time, because there are so many classes out there with so many functions, it would blow your mind to remember them all. It can be done, but what would be the benefit? What would be the purpose for remembering all of those functions? You don't need to remember them all to program efficiently, trust me. I think it's better to focus on learning how to design your software and learn the basics with PhotoReading, and then start practicing in the real world. You can read about a language all you want, and understand it, but you still need to program it! The same saying goes for Design Patterns by the way. I'm in my final couple of weeks now before I'm going to graduate, and I know many people in my class who still don't understand the basics of programming completely in a practical way; even through they've completed many projects over the past couple of years. You've got to walk the talk, practice what you learn. PhotoReading definitely makes learning a programming language easier, but don't substitute it for applying your knowledge. That's just what I wanted to let you know.

So in short, mind map the important language characteristics. You will find them throughout the book(s) you PhotoRead.

Photoread4me

Thanks very much. I will apply this technique to my C# and ASP.NET books and see how it goes.

Regards
Dmlocke

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Whiteeagle.

You might want to focus on one purpose at a time. You've got 3 overreaching ones that gave you great overview like the need to develop menus. There is now another purpose I want to know how to develop the menu for the email software for deaf users. With each activation your purpose can become more focused on parts.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved