Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#58843 03/10/07 01:10 PM
OP Offline

Rhonda Byrne's book The Secret has been in the news recently. Doesn't it seem like it's related to our study of qigong?

"The secret is the law of attraction!"
"Everything that's coming into your life you are attracting into your life. And it's attracted to you by virtue of the images you're holding in your mind. It's what you're thinking. Whatever is going on in your mind you are attracting to you." p. 4 The Secret

Hi joangolfing
They say thoughts create and your thinking
is important to Qigong and law of attraction.
So I would say you are right.

I should add, Master Lin says if you wake up
every morning thinking you will get a tumour,
you probably will. If you wake up every morning
telling yourself how good you feel, you will
probably stay healthy.

Gabby

Last edited by Gabby; 03/10/07 07:57 PM.
OP Offline

Gabby,

Thanks for the reply. I wish that Qigong would have the same national attention as this book seems to be getting. I do think they are the alike in many ways. With qigong having a rich tradition and a much better rationale for practicing it. The book called The Secret seems to come from a very shallow view of life. However, if they indeed are the same, then the message will be getting out in whatever form seems to be more attractive to the mass audience.

My two cents.

I learned about The Secret during the Success retreat this summer at LSC. I bought the video when I got home. I was also gifted the book "Ask and it is Given" by a generous lady at the retreat. This book and The Secret are very similar in the concept of methodology. To me they differ in strength of there focus on material gain.

As far a methodology, motivation and actual how-to content, I see both of the above as primers for qigong. Qigong, at least as master Lin teaches it, is more practical, getting right into the how-to and not just linger on the vast potential of the what.

I see these ideas in complete harmony, mainly since I see these two books as a complete subset of how I view qigong.

I'll stray a little further on this topic. From studying and practicing SFQ and the related meditations teaching, I know that we can choose to exist at whatever vibration we want. We can exist at that level any and every instant of our lives merely by the choosing. However, most people require two elements (the six keys aside), one is the awareness of the vibrational level, and the second is an ability to effectively choose.

Meditation practices, if followed, will give you both of these elements. It is not the only way to obtain them, but they are well developed and proven. To my way of thinking, many practices setup almost as many stumbling blocks as they seek to eliminate. Perhaps this is to ensure the stability of you achievement. When you reach the objective you will have encountered and mastered all obstacles.

SFQ is simple, powerful and it is quick. I don't think that the course structure will answer all your questions, perhaps only private tutelage like that received by master Nance would provide all the system has to offer. It will provide a quick path to the objective, without all the side trips of some practices.

Staying number 2; I see the material motivation inherent in material like The Secret valuable, yet potentially misleading. People still think of things as the source of their happiness. The acquiring of things is a strong motivator of people. Many people will following the teaching from sources like The Secret, but we each hear a different message when listening to teachers because we all have different sets of tools to comprehend their words. Some people will achieve their goals and others will not, and some will likely do both.

I think the things like The Secret are valuable because of what they create. To my way of thinking they are preparing the ground for the seeds. SFQ may be a seed many find afterwards, but there are many more seeds out there which can not grow until the ground is ready. The Secret is a very attractive plow and many will used it that would never have considered farming before.

Just to wind down, I want to say that I think that success and material things are great. There is nothing wrong with them. There is not good or bad. What we should seek to create is flow and balance. You can have all the physical, mental, emotional and spiritually benefits of health as offered in SFQ and have all the material success offered by other systems. They are not necessarily in conflict. I think SFQ is a good place to start before entering those others, it will give you a magnificent tool chest for the healthy navigation of other paths. Of course the concern is that one will focus on the other goals and lose one's own balance.

You are perfection, whatever your path.
Iam2

OP Offline

Ian,

Those are very interesting comments comparing SFQ and this new book, The Secret.

I like your ideas about meditation and its benefits:
1.awareness
2.ability to effectively choose.

I agree that The Secret seems to focus on things as the source of happiness. However, you also see it as valuable because it prepares the general population for the qigong philosophy.

All I can say is that The Secret and my connections from there brought me to SFQ

Moderated by  Shawn_Grim 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved