Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#58885 03/14/07 12:50 AM
kunagi Offline OP
OP Offline

Well i thought this question is interesting after i saw the world memory championship.

Is it possible that a photoreader can remember all thing included words, pages and even every alphabet's position in a book which the photoreader photoread it?

Well this question may not make sense with photoreading wholemind system but i thought this is related with the mind and memory and just asking its possibility.

Honestly, i just want the answer is 'yes' or 'no' with the clear and logic explaination. i cannot accept more answer like "this is not related to PR system or something like this."

Anyway, thanks for your view and reply.

Alva

Hello Kunagi,

You wanted a simple answer, so here it is "No! It is not possible...".

You also wanted an explanation. So here it is. Allright, jokes apart, see it has been mentioned very many times on this forum as well as in the course that the aim of Photoreading is not to give you a Photographic memory.

IMHO, the Photoreading Wholemind System, puts you into the centre. Even before you open the book, literally, it asks you to determine your purpose. What is it that you would like out of the book? What is that is important to you in the book? And then taking steps to fulfill your purpose and have the required information. It is not about remembering the book word by word.

Taking the liberty of going one step further, I would like to discuss that I see no point in remembering a book word by word. Let us say, situation one : I remember the book word by word. Now someone asks me what I have gained out of the book or what it is in the book that has impressed me the most? And my response is I recite them the entire book. I am invited on National TV to discuss and talk about the book and what do I do, yes, I simply recite the book. I might impress a few, but I am no wiser or better after reading the book.

Situation Two : I don't remember the book word by word, but I have a firm grasp on the essence of book as well as the ideas which the author is trying to get across through that book. Now, I believe that I will be performing a lot better in the above two situations.

That was my inputs to your question. No offence intended. I hope I have been of some help to you.

God bless you.

Kind regards
Vaibhav

kunagi Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Vaibhav

Thanks for your answers and explanation. It's really benefits me so much. Hoho i just want to ensure the possibility of the Photoreading Wholemind System.

When i ask this question, many people talks about value with me. Hoho, i am wonder that this is just an "is it possible" question and i just want to know the exact answer, "why can?" or "why cannot?"

Why the Photoreading Wholemind System cannot give us photographic memory?

I hope for views and reasons.

Anyway, thanks for your answers!

God bless you

Best regards,

Kunagi

Hi Kunagi.

Here is my take on why PhotoReading can NOT give you photographic memory

The reason is if you try to have an overview of the PhotoReading whole mind system, then the steps goes like this, familiarizing yourself with the book as well as its structure(Prepare and Preview); then feeding the book to your subconscious mind(PhotoReading); and finally using your intuition(subconscious mind) as a pathfinder, guiding your conscious mind to the sections relevant to your purpose(Activating and Rapid Reading). Unless, I am missing something memorizing the book never surfaces in the entire process. The emphasis is on getting the information relevant to your purpose, out of the reading material.

Why do people at times encounter difficulties while learning PhotoReading whole mind system, it is because, this focuses entirely on Subconscious mind rather than the traditional method of focusing on Conscious mind. The stress is on Subconscious mind. Whereas during memorizing we are concentrating on the conscious mind and the subconscious mind has little or no role to play.

Please understand these are my views and I could be wrong. I will love to be corrected by anyone more competent on this topic.

God bless you.

Kind regards
Vaibhav Sharma

kunagi Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Vaibhav,

Your answer is nice and reasonable at all and it is fit to my own view.

I am interested about the "memorization is on the conscious but not too much subconscious". As what i know, memorization and understanding is not on the same time. Tony Buzan's experiments confirms my view. Your words have gave me new recognization to my conscious and subconscious mind.

I apologize for any bold words that i gave to anyone or made anyone angry in this forum. I tried to ask this question many times but the answer is always related with value......what i really want is the answer like what Vaibhav said.

What i should say about your reply, "Great!" Thank you for letting me know that the relationship between the memorization and Photoreading Wholemind System. I hope i can continue to seek for any knowledge from you. Thanks.

God bless you

Best regards,

Kunagi

Brilliant Vaibhav: Absolutely brilliant.

I think there are several factors involved with this topic. First is that it is really not practical to completely memorize a book. What is the point of memorizing a book word for word and being able to parrot it back?

Then you have the 4 to 11 percent of the book containing sailient meaning. Many words are words that are used to join together words and, or, with.

A really great Photoreader KWlee had the experience of when he stop trying to studying everything, when he stopped trying to know every single thing he did better! He absolutely did better and it makes sense.

Having an expectation of having 100 percent comprehension of a book is an expectation that is not realistic.

It comes back to the 80/20 rule. Better to focus on the most important parts of the book than to try to memorize everything.

Photoread4me

Learning Strategies Admin

The brain is an information processor. It has learned to interpret what it reads to store it for faster retrieval. If you had to rely on photographic memory it would be like storing the book on a PC to read when you want to understand it.

PhotoReading uses the brains natural ability to sort patterns ( which sequences of words are) into meaningful units of understanding. Until we learned to speak we had eidetic memories (photographic memory some people like to call it) Where the mind repaints exactly the image. Most children lose this ability by the time they are 12 because language allows for faster representation of stacks of data. Just like the word chair represents any seating place for a single behind in a home or office regardless of what it looked like.

PhotoReading is not a slowing down technique of having a eidetic memory (which is much like having to pick up the bookshelf and reading it for the first time). It's a speeding up of information processing by putting it into your long term memory first where it is sorted by the preconscious processor. You'll remember the information once it has been called up much better than with traditional reading.

If you really wanted to memorise a book word for word page for page there are memorisation techniques that are fairly fast and with PhotoReading faster.

Alex

kunagi Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the answer. I am always confused with the power of photoreading wholemind system.

I have one more question. Let's say the situation is a student got A+ in a test with the photoreading wholemind system.

The question is how the student can got A+ in a test without memorize word for word in test. Perhaps the student would easier to get A+ by memorize word for word page for page right?

I need a clear answer with a logical explanation. Thanks.

PS.Did everyone notice that this post is 'hot' in this forum. Perhaps many people is interested about the real power of photoreading wholemind system.

God bless you

Best regards,

Kunagi

Hello Kunagi,

IMHO, most of the tests have questions which test your logical, analytical and thinking capabilities. The test papers are set keeping in mind how much you have understood the material, how comfortable are you with the material and how can you apply this material to problems.

The tests are not designed to test your memory retention skills. Otherwise questions in test paper will be "Write down first three paragraphs, word-by-word given on Pagexx". Therefore as I said earlier, when studying a book or material your aim should be to understand the material.

Reading a material is like having a conversation with the author more or less on the similar lines of having a conversation with your friend. Tell me would you like to remember word-by-word your conversation with your friend or what was the essence of the conversation , what was the topic, what points and counter-points were presented and so on. Similary after reading something you should be able to understand, what was the author's main point, what arguments he used to substantiate his claim and how he nullified the counter arguments. Further how can I use this material and so on.

I hope I have been of some help to you.

God bless you.

Kind regards
Vaibhav Sharma.

There is more important stuff to life than memorising other peoples information, Parrots do it, lets give them an A. If you seriously want to do well on a test look at it from a different angle.

I know the school system teaches that Top grades are a must. An A is only good for the day it's written on the paper. Understanding why the answer is a on a test and not B is good for a lifetime. In other words if you understand the formula then it doesn't matter if you have memorised that the answer is C you can work it out.

Seek understanding, Ask questions, And pass.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved