Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#59272 04/03/07 01:26 PM
OP Offline

Hi,

I hope someone can advise me on the best way to activate the PR system on literature. My goals for reading text will always be similar (at least for now.):

1)To develop a critical understanding of the text
2)To consider how texts relate to other texts
3)What is the relevance of history in a particular work
4)How are genre,gender,race,culture,history,economic factors and philosophy portrayed, employed and exploited, language use (how and why does a text say what it says?), literary devices, metaphor,simile,stream of consciousness, meter, rhythm, rhyme
5)Is there a meaning, if so what.
6)What are the textual strategies, strengths and weaknesses.
7)Criticism: what is being said about the work-is the commentary valid
Hopefully, there will be some other focused literary people who have used PR to aid in their analysis, interpretation, and understanding of this complex art form. Perhaps even people who have used PR while working towards a university degree which is what I plan on using the PR skills for once I develop them.

Thanks for your input.

-J

Your goals for activation are kind of missing the point. These are what are referred to as "mind probing questions," questions that get your mind interested in the text before beginning activation. You should tailor these towards the text, for example, look through the chapter and ask yourself questions about info that you find interesting/useful.

Your goal for activation should be why this is important to you, for example, "I require this in order to do well in my exams, which will allow me to do XXX, etc." It should be your your own unique, individual reason for wanting this information. If you can't find a purpose, then maybe the book isnt that important to you after all.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Quote:

Hi,

I hope someone can advise me on the best way to activate the PR system on literature. My goals for reading text will always be similar (at least for now.):

Your list guides you to the mind probing questions. Build your mind map with answers to those questions in multiple passes.

The correct way to read literature for critique (with the traditional way) is to read it three times. First you regularly read it as you would a novel, then you analytically read it and then you skim read it. It takes you nearly 3 times as long to read as just reading for enjoyment.

With PhotoReading. You PhotoRead, activate with Superread And Dip or skitter for 3 to 6 layers and then you rapid read it. In the case of working with books for critique as you've listed neither manual activation or rapid reading is optional you must do both. A beginner using PhotoReading would get that done in 1/2 to 1/3 the time it takes to just traditionally read it once and get just as much out of it as reading it 3 times the traditional way.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved