Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#59755 05/04/07 10:06 PM
OP Offline

Howdy all,

Well, I'm currently enrolled in a course that lasts a year and is designed to teach the skills of identifying and buying businesses along with marketing concepts to improve them for growth and possible resale. The reading material from the two instructors currently totals 3300 pages. There are about 70 CD's that don't necessarily coincide with the written material, and about 16 hours of online audio that does coincide to about 500 pages of the material directly.

So, I've been going through the photoreading step per the PRbooks recommendations.

This is not a graded course. I won't "die" if I don't learn anything from my PR steps. I'm quite relaxed while reading.

However, I wanted to ask about purpose. IN the book, it states the following is an excellent purpose:

"To fully absorb this material and to spped the application of these techniques and conepts in my life."

My first impression--to damn general.

Question 1. Was the above purpose really a great example?"

Question 2: Is it appropriate to have several purposes for the overal PR of the course? For instance, my primary purpose is, "I desire the information in this material to accomplish my purose of learning the skills, ideas, and thought processes which will allow me to fluently profit $XXXX daily now, in an easy and relaxed manner, in a healthy and positive way." Secondary purpose is the one listed above from the book, and tert purp is "to experience as often as possilbe spontaneous activation and direct learning."

Question 3: How do I go about activating all of this? Do I approach it like textbooks? It's not that technical.

Question 4: Even in 20 minute sessions of PRing I find that after about 3 sessions (even with very long breaks) that I am extremely tired in the eyes. I don't have any problems with my eyes normally, except some major nearsightedness and some minor astigmatism which I correct with glasses mainaly, but I can wear contacts. Is this a normal phenomenon when dealing with large amounts of material?

thanks in advance,

PreconsciousPwr

This weekend I am getting back into photoreading after a long period of ignoring it. So I am not any kind of an expert. But I have always found that my eyes don't get tired. Over the last two days I have handled about 30 books with no tiredness. The steps I followed are relax, preview, and photoread. I haven't worked on activation yet-- that's for today. (I'm mustering up my courage for that by posting here.) I don't postview right away. Perhaps I should. Anyway, the purposes I set are rather specific in terms of what I want to learn. 'Fully absorbing something and applying it' sounds a little vague to me but I'm not an expert.

As for tiredness, the previewing step, which includes looking over the book and writing down a purpose and trigger words, means a gap of several minutes between each book, so one doesn't really photoread continuously, outside of extremely long reference works I suppose. But even a long book only takes a few minutes to photoread.

Drinking water is important; I 'discovered' that long ago with my first exposure to photoreading.

Also after photoreading I find little things like, maybe I feel restless, perhaps it is harder to fall asleep promptly. It kind of shows that something is going on in the noodle.

I would say that your purpose is waaay too general. If there were steps to achieving that purpose what would they be and which would you start with? Turn them in to purposes and approach the book from different angles. As the PR book says - learning is best done in layers. Don't expect all that you need to come from the book in one activation session.

Approaching the books several times with different purposes will likely lead you to meeting your "big" purpose.

Hope that helps

Matt

Yes I agree, I like to have a purpose connected with what I aim to learn and what use I have for learning it. It's specific to that extent, while also allowing for a flexible appreciation for what the author will do in the book, which becomes more apparent during activation or any kind of post-PR treatment.

Learning Strategies Admin
Learning Strategies Admin

Quote:

"To fully absorb this material and to spped the application of these techniques and conepts in my life."

That purpose pertains to learning to PhotoRead by PhotoReading the PhotoReading book and for that yes, it is a excellent purpose.

Question two. Yes it's probable that you have multiple purposes especially where 3300 pages of text are involved. They probably cover different subjects and different concepts that will have different applications,

Treat each chapter of a textbook as a book in it's own right and that is how you activate it as individual books.

Quote:

"I desire the information in this material to accomplish my purose of learning the skills, ideas, and thought processes which will allow me to fluently profit $XXXX daily now, in an easy and relaxed manner, in a healthy and positive way

That's an affirmation not a purpose statement. A purpose statement simply says why you are even bothering with that. Looking at that I'd probably say something so that I can have an exciting career in this field, more so that I can tags can come to mind I'll go with the one that motivates me the most at the time.

Make sure you are not crossing your eyes to try to see the blip page. Just relax your gaze and let the text blur slightly. Palm your eyes regularly and if you know the eye exercise called the lazy 8 I suggest you do that before starting to PhotoRead.

Alex

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved