Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

I've always done my reading during comutting times.
Since starting the PhotoReading course, I'm in a bit of a bind.

My aim is to Photoread three books a day but I also feel I can't do this in a bus or a train (sort of like, I have to be home or somewhere private) so I'm no longer reading on my commutes.

Unfortunately, by the time I have some time to do the Photoreading at home, I find i'm so tired and find it hard to focus
(I have been known to drift off while I was trying to get in the relaxed frame of mind )

So can anyone tell me if they've had any success photoreading while travelling?
also, can you do the three books at different times in the day? so if I don't have the time to do all three now, I can spread it out through the day or does this make it less effective?

Lastly, is it ok for me to continue reading slowly while I practice with my Photoreading or should I stop that altogether till I get proficient in the photoreading?

I sincerely believe that I could photoread anywhere. I have only tried it where I live, and a couple of times in the bookstore.

My big problem is really just the embarrassment of it. Even if I go into a library cubicle, people are going to hear flip - flip - flip - flip - flip - flip - flip - flip - flip - flip - and what are they to think? And if they sneak up to take a look, they're going to see me turning the pages like a madman, with my nose buried in the book (well, maybe 10 inches above it). And I'd never know they are looking at me! And how to do it in the bookstore? I do open the book flat; perhaps if I just opened it to about 70 degrees, and sort of let the pages go with my thumb.

I photoread with great success on the train, I've done it on planes (even in economy). I do use disk 7 of the learning course on my ipod to drown out background noise and give me something to direct my attention.

As for the embarrassment, this doesn't really bother me - flipping a book upside-down is not exactly anti-social behaviour.

I've not photoread in a bookshop or in a library though.

Hello Faithfabulous

While I agree with you that PhotoReading on a train, you might not have the same experience as compared to doing it at home or office. But nevertheless you can give it a try, atleast in a train. You can very well carry out the prepare and preview step while in a bus or train. Try achieving the Photofocus state and see if you can PhotoRead the book in a train. My guess is you should be able to do that. Perhaps Alex can shed more light on this.

No, I have not tried Photoreading while travelling so, I am afraid, I don't have any personal experience to share with you. Yes you can PhotoRead three or as many books as you are comfortable with. The guys in the PhotoReading retreat do 10 or more books on a Power Day.

Even after learning PhotoReading, you always have the option of slow reading a material. The only thing is that this should be a conscious decision. My advice to you is eliminate slow reading as much as you can and practice more and more of PhotoReading.

I hope I have been of some help to you

God Bless You.

Kind regards
Vaibhav Sharma

OP Offline

Thanks you guys for responses.

will keep at it every where, I guess that's the only way to find out where I get my best results.

Okay with regards to the actual doing.....
Let's say I've done all the steps...Preview, Photoread, Postview and Activation but the activation does not give me as much info as I need.
Do I go back and re-do the whole process or just keep doing different activation techniques?
I find that I end up spending a lot more time than is prescribed going over and over the material and because I need the information in the book sometimes end up slowreading it when I'm in the bus or somewhere when I only have a few minutes to spare. (have to admit this does go faster than usual once I've photoread it)

Someone said if it takes me 1 day to go through a book that would normally take a few days then it's still better results and if I go on doing that, then I would only get better as I practised more, only I'm a bit worried I'll get into the habit of taking a day with a book and never getting faster.
What do you guys think?

Also, there's the fact that if I had been reading over a few days, I would not do all of this at one sitting and it is a bit of a challenge to keep activating when say I only have a 15 -30 mins at different times during the day to dedicate to this (whenever I try to plan a longer block of time to activate, it just never gets done - again why I need to be able to do this anywhere)

I work full time in a part of the IT sector that demands a lot of reading of documentation and I'm also studying Hypnotherapy at the moment so I don't have the luxury of stopping the slow reading altogether as I have stuff piling up all the time that needs to get read.
How do you tackle this?

Views, opinions, advice P L E A S E!!!

If you didn't get what you needed from the time available was your purpose too broad?

When I'm coaching people I start with the following questions:

1. What would you like to achieve today?
2. Is that realistic in the time available?
3. If not, what could you achieve in the time available that contributes to your bigger purpose?
4. So what are the key points we need to address to meet that goal?

I think that these are all relevant questions to ask yourself before activating - if you set a purpose that is achievable in the time available you are giving yourself (conscious and unconscious) a good chance at succeeding.

Hope that helps, I welcome any comments.

Matt

OP Offline

Oh forgot to add, do you have to get into state to Activate?
I know you have to have a clear purpose but is photfocus necessar?

Plus, I have no problem whatsoever photoreading in public at all.
Think it's a bit of showoff really (and that siuts me to a tee )

A focused state of attention (tangerine) plus unquenchable curiosity is what I use.

You don't photofocus for activation. See my previous comment about purpose.

OP Offline

Thanks Matt..

You hit it on the head!
I tend to want to Activate the whole book and retrieve all answers.

So you're saying if I only have a short period, my intention should be say I chapter?
or should it be one question from list of questions I get when Post viewing?

I would say it's better to be pragmatic with your goal and meet or exceed your expectations than to have an overly ambitious and ultimately unsatisfactory activation session.

Even Everest is conquered one step at a time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved