Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#5596 02/28/03 10:24 AM
OP Offline

Are there any paraliminal tapes specifically for working out/excercising? I don't have a weight problem, but I'd like to work out on a regular basis. Unfortunately I really hate working out and I'd like to find a tape that could actually make me enjoy excercise.

Administrator
Administrator

Choice of paraliminals that I would consider for working towards that goal are:

Automatic Pilot
Get Around To It
New Behaviour Generator.

Alex

Adding to AlexK,
I'd suggest slow and easy. If you use the New Behaviour Generator, set realistic goals for you to accomplish. You want positive feedback that you are actually going forward with this desire to work out!!!

If you wanted to spend 1 hour running, well, that could be your future goal, but, start out with lets say, 15 to 20 minutes of walking. As you accomplish these little steps you
a) mentally have positive feedback and as you accomplish these, pat yourself on the back, literally. (It makes you smile , and it's better than kicking yourself in the butt for not working out )
b) Physically you will be growing accustomed to the addition strain you are asking of your body to accomplish your workout routine.

Just remember that YOU must take the individual steps to get to the top of your staircase of obstacles.

OP Offline

Thanks.. I'll try those. I just wish they had something specifically for working out & weight training with dialogue programming physical change as well as mental change. I believe in the mind/body connection and I think if my body craved to work out, then I would follow through and do it, rather than the other way round. Maybe they'll produce one in the future..?

Hmmm, you might want to try a Body Mastery set, but it's a bit of an investment. I think Wendi has something on her site (www.wendi.com), and I know that most of her products have an analog on www.hyptalk.com.

When I decided to re-create myself as a body builder or weight lifter back in 1997 or 1998, I went through a rather typical human reaction. First, I defined the problem. Second, I did research. Third, I threw a lot of money at it. Fourth, I have it a half-hearted attempt. Fifth, I gave up after less than a month.

Because this cycle is the cycle of learned failure, I would say the best paraliminal to use is Personal Genius. Those areas where we manifest genius are the areas where we don't give up. They may not be the areas that come easiest to us. In fact, the most powerful innovations seem to be at the hands of people who are forced to innovate because the conventional way doesn't WORK for them.

If you have Natural Brilliance, either as a PLC or just the book, you might want to look into doing the Natural Brilliance "negotiation" on working out. As you've said, you really hate to do it. That means that there is a lot of leverage keeping you from doing it. On the other hand, you're on here asking for something to reprogram you into wanting to do it, so there must be some gain.

Right now, I'm experimenting. This weekend, I ordered the Spring Forest Qigong. I'm thinking that first defining the energy needed for the body to change is a proper prelude to an actual visable and noticable change. If I decide that I'd like to start lifting weights or doing arrobics (I can sign up for the YMCA without paying a joining fee, due to perks through my present place of work, and I may sign up for the Tai Chi class and access to the pool), I'll make sure that I have enough Qi to make it fun.

At any rate, one book you may wish to consider is "Mind Pump." It's a book on the proper psychology of weight training.

OP Offline

Thanks for the advice Kaiden. The truth is, I'm just lazy. It's not even the working out that I hate that much, it's the driving to the gym, getting a parking spot, getting a locker, dealing with the crowds... I'd rather just lie down and visualize I'm working out Once I'm at the gym, I'm fine. I just can't get myself to go through the hassle to get there... And it's a huge time investment that I'd rather spend doing other things. I guess I'm looking for some kind of magic wand that will suddenly make it seem like a really fun thing to do...

Well, there's always Speed Seduction. "Doc Dave" is the expert at pick-ups in the gym and bike trail. Depends on your lifestyle, I guess.

For the car-ride, you might want to consider "automobile university." Through the use of tapes or CD's of an educational quality, you can rack up the equivelant of hours of classroom instruction. It sure beats the idiocy of the radio.

You're right, we don't have a "magic wand" for you, but it sounds as if you need to change the way you think about things. First, it would help if you stop saying that you are lazy, and instead start telling yourself you are an energetic person who is temporarily lazy. You said it yourself, once you are at the gym you have no problem working out. So you know you can do it.

As Alex suggested, you might listen to Get Around To It or I would also suggest the Belief tape. You can't program physical change without mental programming, in other words, change your attitude and beliefs and you will see results in your physical and mental self. I remember someone tell a story about a yoga teacher who practiced every single day, for hours, no matter what. He said that he simply does what he is inclined to do. He has trained his inclinations, i.e. he made practicing yoga a habit. He made it something he does, part of his lifestyle. If you can train yourself to make working out a habit, then whether you "feel" like it or not you just do it. Obviously, find a sport or exercise that you enjoy. Training takes time, as someone mentioned, so just do a little at a time.

Good luck!

Moderated by  Wendy_Greer 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved