Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
nicole Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, I´m new to this forum. I´ve just completed the photoreading home study course, but I don´t think that I´m getting much information from the books that I photoread. I think the reason for this is my goal or purpose that I have to state before I read. I´m studying for civil service exams and I have a lot of material to read, and the problem is that I need to know most, if not all of it, so it´s not like just saying...I want to get this opinion from the book or anything like that. Can anyone tell me what kind of purpose I should state so that my mind picks up on the information???
thanks!

Nicky.

Nicky,

Even with exams we don't actually need to know everything. In lectures or books authors or teachers will labour certain points more than others. There is a really good example of this in the Einstein Factor book.

My initial suggestion would be what is your ultimate application of the material?. As regarding what information to activate? Do you have access to past exam papers? Read over those questions. Then PR, and activate with the purpose of finding the answers to the questions from the old exam papers.

Happy Travels

A

nicole Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, I´m a lawyer and the exams are oral exams and they can ask me about absolutely any area of the law. There is a lot of necessary case law that I have to know and also a lot of statutory requirements, etc. I can´t just say that I want to know one thing, I must know the content of the material (all of it I know is unnecessary, but most of it is more than relevant). How could I state my intention when I pick up a book? I have been stating something like "I will take all of the information which is necessary for me to know and which I may be asked in the exam", but I just know that this is not specific enough and I´m not getting the results so I know I´m on the wrong track. Any hints as to a better purpose would be great!!

HI.I'm a University student in China and taking Dual Degree Program(Software Development & Economy). Photoreading works very well on me.

In Both of my subjects,among my classmates, there is a huge misunderstanding,thinking that everything is equally important in books, in order to pass the exam,in order to learn it well,one have to learning everything with identical effort.

But as a A+ student,I would say it's the biggest fault.In the exam,On the surface,It seems that students who achieve high score and Professional in the subject knows everything well. Yet. in fcat, The truth is they build the structure inside their mind and really catch the point of the textbook! there's no doubt that every subject has its structure and basics ,they are simple,yet everything is just built upon them.So our job is to find out how they compose Everything! in this way you can beat a giant with little stone ! When encountering new situation you just catch the point with dramatical speed(superread, skitter)!

I remember reading an article written by a law science student,which said,If you think law science is nothing but memorize,then it proves you haven't stepped into it.It has its own logical and structure. Once you have mastered it, everything become easy.Then you can just skitter the "key word" once and then are able to easily repeat it,since you know why this and that sentences are stated in such way. Because you have known exactly the inner meaning,and inner structure. Like learning a language,for native people it just so easy,no matter words,expressions or senteces,much less grammars. but somehow so hard for a foreignner, it all dues to inner structure and deep understanding.

So you may choose to read some basic book about law science,like Mon-tesquieu "The SPIRIT of LAWS".Despite what type of books,You really don't need to work on everything. Remember, build it in layers. absolutely Not all the information is parallel.In one layer something just make completely no sense yet next layer it could become the Major Role.In every layer you just want to solve the question that most benefited(Marginal revenue MAX) to you.If it is of low value just pass it ! Layers is everything in Activation,It's your books serve you,not opposite.

Anyway ,No matter whether you Really Desire to gain an insight into law science to make things easy,Memory technique can be useful to you. Search it,or if you have sufficient time you may have interest in Memroy Optimizer.

Last edited by demon386_cn; 06/19/07 04:51 PM.
nicole Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, you´re right, not everything is important, and we tend to get bogged down with the small details. ESPECIALLY ME!

but what I still want answered is:

WHAT PURPOSE DO I STATE BEFORE PHOTOREADING, WHAT DO I SAY??

"I WANT THE MOST IMPORTANT DETAILS FROM THIS BOOK"??

WHAT DO ANY OF YOU SAY??

I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR SOME PURPOSES FOR STUDENTS WHO READ TEXT BOOKS PLEASE.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE REPLIES THEY ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Learning Strategies Admin

Make sure you do as many activation layers as needed until the book gels. It seems like you don't get anything until you got it. Which ironically happens with the last activation pass you need to do.

Build in layers don't give up just because it's not all conscious yet. Train the conscious mind to get with it by doing additional layers not giving up when it hasn't gelled for you.

Your purpose is your purpose. You are the one who decided to read the book why? what was your purpose?

Quote:

"I WANT THE MOST IMPORTANT DETAILS FROM THIS BOOK"??

A Story for you.

A lawyer asked the witness "I WANT THE MOST IMPORTANT DETAILS "??

The witness said, "huh?????!!!!"

So the lawyer rephrased the question... "Give me the most important details on the case."

The witness said, "huh?????!!!!" and looked at the judge.

So the Judge said to the lawyer? Ask a that again and I'll have you charged with contempt of court. Your purpose here is to build your case by asking relevant questions.

End story.

Ask questions of the author to build your case for your purpose In the case of the lawyer it's whatever outcome they were hoping to get for their client.

In the case of a PhotoReader with a book whatever outcome they selected that book to help them attain.

Please refrain from using Caps Lock. It's rude and as explained in the course hinders fast effective reading.

Alex

Alex

Alex

nicole Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi, thank you so much for the reply. Sometimes I just get so stuck in the small details I find it very difficult to see the big picture, and I know that is where I have the problem. Also I´m so sorry about the capital locks, I didn´t realise. Thanks again, you´ve helped me open my eyes a bit. I think that I´ll have to stand back and rethink everything a little more.

regards.

How's it going? It's usually easy enough to come up with questions from the trigger words and what you've noticed from the books so far when you know what your purpose is. Some questions you can ask yourself to help you realise your purpose.

What do I hope to do with the information from this book when I've learned it?
Who will I help, tell or discuss the information from this book with?
If I were to explain this book to someone what will I expect to be able to explain?
How do I see myself using the information in this book in my life or career (if you can imagine a day in your life where this information will be useful you have a reason why you want to learn it).
When will I use the information in this book. This helps you to look beyond exams.

Once you recognise your purpose (we usually have one just don't know or recognise what it is) you have a better idea of what you need to know and then can ask the author for the answers as you activate and build a mind map. Mind maps are a great idea if you know you'll be tested on the material.

Alex

nicole Offline OP
OP Offline

That´s excellent, I finally understand how to form a purpose. Thank you so much for the examples, they are so so helpful. I´ve used them and I´m getting so much more from my books now. yipee! I knew that I was missing something, and now I´ve found the key. Again, thanks for all the help.

Nicky.

Will Photoreading help me in studying accounts and maths? If so how? I have not yet bought the book, just want to know if it will only help in theory subjects or otherwise also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Patrick O'Neil 

Link Copied to Clipboard
©, Learning Strategies Corporation, All Rights Reserved